How Does Pressure Remain Constant During a Phase Transition?

In summary, the textbook explains that the process of vaporization or condensation at a constant temperature is illustrated by the lines G-H-I or I-H-G in figure 16.3. When the pressure reaches point H on the vapor-pressure curve, the change in the fraction of vapor or liquid occurs at a fixed temperature. The pressure does not change until all of the vapor or liquid has completed the phase transition. This is because as heat is removed and the volume of the container decreases, the pressure remains constant until all the vapor is condensed to liquid.
member 392791
In reference to the graph at the bottom, my textbook has a statement '''..A process of vaporization or condensation at a constant temperature is illustrated by the lines G-H-I or I-H-G, respectively, in figure 16.3. Water would vaporize or condense at a constant temperature as the pressure-reaches point H on the vapor-pressure curve. The change that occurs at H is the increase or decrease in the fraction of vapor or liquid, respectively, at a fixed temperature. The pressure does not change until all of the vapor, or liquid, has completed the phase transition.''

This part of the statement is not clear to me. How is it that there is no pressure change until all of the vapor, or liquid, has completed the phase transition? It seems like as vapor is condensing the pressure would decrease.

Attachments

• figure 16.3.jpg
    figure 16.3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
In reference to the graph at the bottom, my textbook has a statement '''..A process of vaporization or condensation at a constant temperature is illustrated by the lines G-H-I or I-H-G, respectively, in figure 16.3. Water would vaporize or condense at a constant temperature as the pressure-reaches point H on the vapor-pressure curve. The change that occurs at H is the increase or decrease in the fraction of vapor or liquid, respectively, at a fixed temperature. The pressure does not change until all of the vapor, or liquid, has completed the phase transition.''

This part of the statement is not clear to me. How is it that there is no pressure change until all of the vapor, or liquid, has completed the phase transition? It seems like as vapor is condensing the pressure would decrease.

The book doesn't explain it very well. If the volume of the container were fixed, then as heat is removed, both the temperature and the pressure of the vapor and liquid in the container would decrease (as you correctly concluded). But, if the pressure were held constant and heat was removed while the volume of the container were allowed to decrease, the volume of gas would decrease and the volume of liquid would increase; and the temperature would remain constant until all the vapor was condensed (and you only had liquid left).

I am not understanding how heat could be removed along G-H-I? That line is at a constant temperature and volume, so the only thing decreasing is pressure.

Woopydalan said:
I am not understanding how heat could be removed along G-H-I? That line is at a constant temperature and volume, so the only thing decreasing is pressure.

The line G-H-I is a constant temperature line, but not a constant volume line. Point I is in the superheated vapor region. If you increase the pressure at constant temperature, you will be compressing the gas, and, to maintain the temperature constant, you will have to remove some heat. Eventually, by doing this, you will reach point H at which the vapor becomes saturated. Reducing the volume any further at constant temperature will require additional removal of heat. But, the pressure will no longer change. Instead, you will start forming liquid in your vessel. You will stay at point H until all the vapor has condensed to liquid. Trying to reduce the volume any further than this at constant temperature will require you to compress the condensed liquid. This will result in a very rapidly increasing pressure. This will move you to point G.

chet

Can you please provide more explanation or clarify this statement?

I can provide some clarification on this statement. The concept of equilibrium vapor pressure is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that describes the balance between the rate of vaporization and the rate of condensation of a substance at a constant temperature. In the graph provided, the horizontal axis represents the pressure and the vertical axis represents the temperature.

At point H on the vapor-pressure curve, the vapor and liquid are in equilibrium, meaning that the rate of vaporization is equal to the rate of condensation. This is because the vapor and liquid are at the same temperature and the pressure is at a specific value that is determined by the temperature.

As the temperature remains constant, any change in pressure would disrupt this equilibrium and cause a shift in the phase transition. This means that until all of the vapor has condensed into liquid or all of the liquid has vaporized into gas, the pressure will remain constant. Once the phase transition is complete, the pressure will change as the system returns to a new equilibrium.

In summary, the statement in the textbook is referring to the fact that at a constant temperature, the pressure will not change until the phase transition is complete. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of equilibrium vapor pressure for you.

1. What is equilibrium vapor pressure?

Equilibrium vapor pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a vapor when it is in equilibrium with its condensed phase (solid or liquid) at a given temperature. It is a characteristic property of a substance and is dependent on temperature.

2. How is equilibrium vapor pressure determined?

Equilibrium vapor pressure can be determined experimentally by measuring the pressure of a vapor in a closed container at different temperatures and plotting a graph of pressure vs temperature. The point at which the graph levels off represents the equilibrium vapor pressure.

3. What factors affect equilibrium vapor pressure?

The main factors that affect equilibrium vapor pressure are temperature and intermolecular forces. As temperature increases, so does the equilibrium vapor pressure. Stronger intermolecular forces also lead to a lower equilibrium vapor pressure.

4. How does equilibrium vapor pressure relate to boiling point?

Equilibrium vapor pressure and boiling point are directly related. A substance with a higher equilibrium vapor pressure will have a lower boiling point, and vice versa. This is because a higher equilibrium vapor pressure indicates a higher tendency for molecules to escape from the liquid phase, leading to easier boiling.

5. What is the significance of equilibrium vapor pressure in everyday life?

Equilibrium vapor pressure plays a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as cooking, distillation, and evaporation. It also helps determine the volatility and scent of perfumes and the effectiveness of certain medications. Additionally, understanding equilibrium vapor pressure is important in industries such as food preservation and climate control.