Principal Virtual Work Theories - Cylindrical Pipe Application

by akmalhisham75
Tags: application, cylindrical, pipe, principal, theories, virtual, work
Share this thread:
akmalhisham75
Apr9-13, 08:18 PM
P: 3
Dear All,

I did post this issues in the physics forum, however there is somebody ask me to post it in the engineering forum. With this I re-post it here.

Does anyone here familiar with a theory called Principal Virtual Work (Equilibrium theory) ?
I read somewhere that with this theory, i could relate(for pipeline application - collapse & buckling) the components for ovalisation, external pressure and hoop strain.
Appreciate if somebody could guide me on this matter.

Thank you

Regards

-Akmal-
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
stewartcs
Apr24-13, 10:18 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by akmalhisham75 View Post
Dear All,

I did post this issues in the physics forum, however there is somebody ask me to post it in the engineering forum. With this I re-post it here.

Does anyone here familiar with a theory called Principal Virtual Work (Equilibrium theory) ?
I read somewhere that with this theory, i could relate(for pipeline application - collapse & buckling) the components for ovalisation, external pressure and hoop strain.
Appreciate if somebody could guide me on this matter.

Thank you

Regards

-Akmal-
Principle of Virtual Work: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~e_m.2...ual%20work.pdf

I've never used this principle for determining collapse or bucking of pipe. API Bulletin 5C3 gives lots of guidance on how to determine pipe collapse resistance.

Buckling is normally determined based on Euler Buckling.

CS
akmalhisham75
Apr24-13, 11:39 PM
P: 3
CS,

yes agreed in general....and it works well for a single layer pipe.....however for a multi-layer pipe i'm trying to analyse the behaviour of each individual layer (which have different E and Yield) properties. So each individual layer has its own allowable strain value....so this where i want to have the relation between the properties i've mentioned earlier.

thanx anyway.

Register to reply