Help understanding how my "magic" siphon works....

In summary, the speaker discovered a new way to use a siphon in their fish tank by making a small hole in the tube above the water line to break the siphon effect and maintain a constant water level. This method has been working for two months without any issues. The speaker is interested in hearing others' thoughts on how this works. They also provide dimensions and a link to a video for reference. The pressure inside the pipe decreases as it moves up, and there is a sweet spot where air is sucked in, causing the water level to rise or fall. There is a high level of interest in this type of application.
fxfocus
I have a fish tank into which is flowing a steady stream of water at around 2L/H. I set up a submerged pump controlled by a float switch to remove water at the same rate as it was coming in and so maintain a constant water level. The pumped water is discarded to a drain via a 6mm flexible tube. Problem I ran into was that when the pump turned off the water continued to drain from the tank by means of the siphon effect. I had the idea that making a small hole in the tube just above the water line would allow air to be sucked in and break the siphon. Providing the hole was small enough any water escaping through it when the pump was running should be small potatoes and so could be ignored.

Sure enough when the pump turned off air was sucked in but I was surprised to see the siphon continue to run even with a stream of bubbles mixed in. But then came the big surprise, while the siphon was running the water level remained constant to within a millimetre..! Since the water level wasn't rising the float switch and pump were never activated.

See the siphon in operation

HOW DOES IT WORK?
My experiments indicate the distance between the hole and the waterline is critical. A very small change in water level causes the flow to increase or decrease to compensate. Moving the hole up or down (simulating a change in water level) by only a millimetre or two results in a significant increased or decreased flow. I guess it's the venturi effect that causes the air to be sucked in but how is it controlling the water level? My theory is that the length of pipe between the water level and the apex of the siphon is made longer or shorter as the water level rises or falls causing the pressure differential to vary. Be interested to here what others think...

IN SUMMARY
There is no new science here, of that I'm sure. In all my years of fishkeeping I thought I had seen every type of siphon under the sun but I've never seen anything like this before. I'm sure it's practical as it's been running on one of my tanks with no issues for nearly two months. Is anyone out there already familiar with this application of a siphon?

Likes DaveE and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
In the video, where is the tiny hole located at?

Likes 256bits
Hi, sound like a fun application! Can you perhaps make a sketch of the setup? I'm not entirely sure if I understand all the details.

Likes 256bits
Normally, the air hole in a siphon break is located at a point higher than the water level at either end.
Is that the case in your setup? A sketch would be helpful.

1618078080434.png

Likes fxfocus and Lnewqban
You might have lucked out with the size of air hole you made.
Probably a pin prick size.
Some great discoveries are made this way, and consider yourself a member of full standing with all the rights and privileges.

Any bigger of an air hole and it might not have 'siphoned'.
Too small and the tank would have drained to a much lower level.

fxfocus said:
Summary:: Quite by chance I discovered this new (to me at least) way to use a siphon.
I think I know roughly how it works but what do you think?

I guess it's the venturi effect that causes the air to be sucked
I wouldn't call that a venturi effect, as it's not the flow itself that causes the necessary difference in pressure here.. It is just the difference between the atmosphere pressure and the pressure within the pipe due to the small increase in height of the 'sucking' part of the tube from the water level. Otherwise you wouldn't have the regulation of water level that you speak of. ( there is some venturi effect but the flow flow seems too slow to be of concern ) .

Likes fxfocus and Lnewqban
Hopefully the following will make things clearer...

The version in the video includes a small 3D printed part containing the hole.
Dimensions are OD 5mm ID 2mm small hole in side approximately 0.5mm.
1618079484807.png

You can see this printed part in the video. It is blue and connects the black tube below to the clear tube above. You can also see where the black tube enters the water. The clear tube goes over the side of the tank down to the floor and makes it's way to a drain. Assuming I start from a state of equilibrium I find moving the hole up or down some arbitrary distance will after a short time cause the water level to go up or down by a similar amount.

256bits said:
It is just the difference between the atmosphere pressure and the pressure within the pipe due to the small increase in height of the 'sucking' part of the tube from the water level. Otherwise you wouldn't have the regulation of water level that you speak of.

So if I read you right... The pressure inside the pipe reduces as you move up the pipe. Somewhere between the waterline and the apex of the pipe there will be a sweet spot at which air will begin to be sucked in. So if the water level rises the sweet spot will rise and vice versa? And am I right in thinking the pressure inside the pipe will decrease when the flow speeds up and vice versa?

Just to illustrate why I got excited when I found this worked, the following link leads to a hell of a lot of videos offering ways to achieve the same effect but none coming close in terms of simplicity...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+overflow+siphon
I'm not expecting anyone to watch the videos but just the sheer number of them show the level of interest in this kind of application..!

Last edited:
Likes 256bits
fxfocus said:
So if I read you right... The pressure inside the pipe reduces as you move up the pipe. Somewhere between the waterline and the apex of the pipe there will be a sweet spot at which air will begin to be sucked in. So if the water level rises the sweet spot will rise and vice versa? And am I right in thinking the pressure inside the pipe will decrease when the flow speeds up and vice versa?
Air should be 'sucked' in any place just above the water level.
It is the pressure from the atmosphere that pushes the air into the pipe.
The water surface tension ( at the hole ) has to be overcome, so some small height 'adjustment' there to be considered.
With a full pipe, the water will have a particular flow through the siphon and the water level will fall,
As the water drops some small distance below the hole, air can now enter, so there is now two sources of fluid able to enter the pipe - the water and the air.
As the water level drops further, more and more air can enter, and less and less water.
At some point, with dropping tank water level, the siphon would break break.
Since there is a continuous flow into the tank, the water level is regulated.

I would have thought a smaller hole than 0.5 mm would have been necessary for this to work.

This would be a great product to promote for tank level self regulation.
I don't think everyone who tries this will have success, so you might have a good product there.

Likes Lnewqban and fxfocus
256bits said:
Air should be 'sucked' in any place just above the water level.
It is the pressure from the atmosphere that pushes the air into the pipe.
The water surface tension ( at the hole ) has to be overcome, so some small height 'adjustment' there to be considered.
With a full pipe, the water will have a particular flow through the siphon and the water level will fall,
As the water drops some small distance below the hole, air can now enter, so there is now two sources of fluid able to enter the pipe - the water and the air.
As the water level drops further, more and more air can enter, and less and less water.
At some point, with dropping tank water level, the siphon would break break.
Since there is a continuous flow into the tank, the water level is regulated.

I would have thought a smaller hole than 0.5 mm would have been necessary for this to work.

This would be a great product to promote for tank level self regulation.
I don't think everyone who tries this will have success, so you might have a good product there.

I just checked it out and it is exactly as you say... Air is sucked in the instant the hole rises above the water line. At equilibrium the hole is approximately 2.5cm above the waterline using the present setup.
The hole may well be smaller in practice as my 3D printer doesn't necessarily make a nice clean hole at this scale. Also the hole is slanted down so as to direct any squirting (when the pump is running) down towards the water.

Likes Lnewqban and 256bits
I think it's worth noting another major plus for this setup is that if the level falls a short distance below the setpoint (maybe because the inflow is interrupted) the siphon breaks, so no danger of emptying the tank.

fxfocus said:
I just checked it out and it is exactly as you say... Air is sucked in the instant the hole rises above the water line. At equilibrium the hole is approximately 2.5cm above the waterline using the present setup.
The hole may well be smaller in practice as my 3D printer doesn't necessarily make a nice clean hole at this scale. Also the hole is slanted down so as to direct any squirting (when the pump is running) down towards the water.
If it works, it works.

Question: Does the the air enter as a continuous stream, or is it broken off as bubbles at the hole?

256bits said:
If it works, it works.

Question: Does the the air enter as a continuous stream, or is it broken off as bubbles at the hole?

Appears to me to be broken off as bubbles at the hole. If you freeze frame the video you can see the exact makeup and the individual bubbles.

There also appears to be a minimum flow required before air is sucked in. If I run the siphon near the bottom of it's range just before the siphon might break, it goes into a sort of fast slow cycle... As more bubbles enter the tube the flow quickly slows to almost stationary at which point air ceases to be sucked in and only water is entering the tube. As more water enters the tube and bubbles are exiting at the other end the flow begins to accelerate slowly at first but (I suspect) exponentially until air is again sucked in and the cycle repeats. Fascinating to watch for a nerd like me lol.

This is fascinating indeed.

At times I would take a hose and attach it to a faucet to fill a bucket. ( One of those rubber pieces on the end of a hose that fits over the tap )
The surging at certain flow speeds ( with the tap more open ) was apparent, as well as entrained air coming in from some place. Never could figure out why that was happening.
Perhaps the 'venturi' effect from a moving fluid is more predominant than what I stated.

Likes fxfocus
The column of water-bubbles mix that is formed downstream of the air intake hole weights less (reducing its siphon effect) than when it was formed by water only or by a mix of water and small bubbles.
It is similar principle to the pumping effect achieved in stack tubes of bottom under-gravel water filters.

9.gif

Likes fxfocus and 256bits
Lnewqban said:
The column of water-bubbles mix that is formed downstream of the air intake hole weights less (reducing its siphon effect) than when it was formed by water only or by a mix of water and small bubbles.
I'm sure that's right... The following video illustrates this but also I think points to the venturi having some effect so a combination of the two I think?

Siphon in what I'm calling "cycling mode"

Feel like I'm starting to understand this now as a result of this discussion...

Seems like air is only sucked in above some critical flow rate.
When the flow is at it's slowest the weight in the drop is still just enough to suck water slowly over the apex but no air at this point. With no air coming in the siphon begins to speed up and the next cycle begins...

Likes Lnewqban
Oh and just for fun has anyone any ideas for what to call the little blue plastic thingy I printed that makes the whole thing work?

fxfocus said:
Oh and just for fun has anyone any ideas for what to call the little blue plastic thingy I printed that makes the whole thing work?
Something like this, working in reverse:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_ejector

Likes fxfocus

1. How does the "magic" siphon work?

The "magic" siphon works by creating a vacuum that pulls liquid from one container to another. This is achieved through the difference in air pressure between the two containers, with the higher pressure pushing the liquid through the siphon.

2. What makes the "magic" siphon different from a regular siphon?

The "magic" siphon is different from a regular siphon because it uses a special material or mechanism to create the vacuum, rather than relying on gravity alone. This allows it to work in situations where a regular siphon may not be possible, such as moving liquid uphill.

3. How do I start the "magic" siphon?

To start the "magic" siphon, you will need to fill the siphon with liquid and then cover both ends with your fingers. Next, place one end of the siphon in the liquid you want to move and the other end in a container to collect the liquid. Finally, remove your finger from the end in the liquid and the siphon should start working.

4. Can I use the "magic" siphon for any type of liquid?

The "magic" siphon can be used for most liquids, but it may not work with very thick or viscous liquids. Additionally, it is important to make sure that the liquid you are siphoning is not harmful or toxic, as this could pose a health risk.

5. How do I stop the "magic" siphon?

To stop the "magic" siphon, simply remove the end of the siphon from the liquid or cover both ends with your fingers. This will break the vacuum and stop the flow of liquid. It is important to be careful when handling the siphon, as the liquid may still be under pressure and could spray out if not handled properly.