$1.3 billion Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) gets approved

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: approved, billion, meter, telescope, thirty
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Apr15-13, 08:24 AM
Admin
P: 9,469
The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT), a giant observatory that astronomers hope to build by the end of this decade, is expected to cost at least $1 billion. So a grant of $1.25 million may seem miniscule. Nonetheless, the backers of TMT are viewing a new 5-year, $250,000-per-year grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) as a significant milestone.
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencein...gets-smal.html
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
stargazer3
Apr15-13, 09:52 AM
P: 44
I've once heard a senior astronomer claim that anything beyond 20 meters is technologically not feasable. But I hope they'll overcome all the difficulties, because this is just too exciting!
liubare
Apr15-13, 01:00 PM
P: 16
Quote Quote by stargazer3 View Post
I've once heard a senior astronomer claim that anything beyond 20 meters is technologically not feasable. But I hope they'll overcome all the difficulties, because this is just too exciting!
Hence, "senior" - Just like the Victorian minds (18-19th century) told Einstein that he was full of crap. Although this is merely one example. In my opinion, life will perpetually continue to advance technology into more complex and astounding measures.
There are only the limits we set and make real, the universe knows of no such limits.

Register to reply