Fluids in the Human Body

by enceladus_
Tags: body, fluids, human
enceladus_
Apr16-13, 08:10 PM
P: 59
I recently learned about the pressure of the atmosphere against the human body. It just so happens that this force is in equilibrium with the human body, so we do not feel any pressure. Although if we fly an airplane, we do.

This got me to thinking, what of the blood in our veins? Does this not exert a force outward, which I can only assume is in equilibrium with a force acting against it. So now, I have the pressure of the atmosphere acting on me, as well as a pressure from my blood acting in another direction. Is this correct? Are there any other fluids in the human body (mucus?) that I am neglecting?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Sprifermin offers benefit for cartilage loss from knee osteoarthritis
Distracted driving among teens threatens public health and safety
Key milestone for brown fat research with a ground-breaking MRI scan
Andy Resnick
Apr16-13, 08:45 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
It sounds like you are neglecting Newton's third law.

There are lots of fluids within the human body besides blood, bile, and chyme. Too many to list.
boneh3ad
Apr16-13, 09:02 PM
P: 1,438
And of course there is the most important fluid in the body: water.

enceladus_
Apr16-13, 09:05 PM

Fluids in the Human Body

Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
It sounds like you are neglecting Newton's third law.
Don't leave me hanging!
enceladus_
Apr18-13, 07:16 PM
Ok:

So if the atmosphere exerts a force on the human body, then an equal force will be exerted from the human body. Is this correct?

If my thinking is correct, why do increased pressures cause us pain or make our ears pop? Does it hurt our bodies to exert a greater force then what we are used to? If we go really deep into the ocean, there must be a point where the pressure overwhelms our body, and we get crushed.
DiracPool
Apr19-13, 12:42 AM
P: 492
Quote Quote by enceladus_ View Post
Are there any other fluids in the human body (mucus?) that I am neglecting?
I'd say everyone forgot to mention Lymph, which is a major toxin removal system. It is distinguished from the circulatory system by lack of a pump such as a heart.
mazinse
Apr26-13, 01:19 AM
P: 190
dont forget the gas pressure, thats way more than the pressure in your veins, which is pretty much nothing.

Register to reply