Register to reply

Oxide Issues

by AWood16
Tags: oxide
Share this thread:
AWood16
Apr26-13, 01:42 PM
P: 5
I'm working with clathrate compounds in a glove box filled with Argon. My problem is that there always remains a small amount of oxygen in the glove box even after multiple purges. This oxygen binds and makes an oxide layer on my clathrates. I don't know how to avoid this and am trying to find some suggestions. My goal is to achieve a pure clathrate to measure thermodynamic data with and this oxide layer throws all my data off. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
Danger
Apr26-13, 05:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
If this is a pumping problem, have you tried introducing chemicals to absorb or adsorb the remaining oxygen after the argon is sealed in?
Astronuc
Apr26-13, 09:17 PM
Admin
P: 21,880
How much oxygen, or rather what is the level of oxygen in the Ar atmosphere. In such cases, one might use a chemical reaction to bind the oxygen, e.g., a getter such as a heated Ti or Zr metal in the form of a mesh, or one could use cracked ammonia for a reducing atmosphere, but hydrogen is flammable or explosive.

Q_Goest
Apr27-13, 06:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,907
Oxide Issues

Try Googling "oxygen getter".

For example: http://pureguard.net/cm/Library/Gett...ification.html

Register to reply