Register to reply

Oxide Issues

by AWood16
Tags: oxide
Share this thread:
AWood16
Apr26-13, 01:42 PM
P: 5
I'm working with clathrate compounds in a glove box filled with Argon. My problem is that there always remains a small amount of oxygen in the glove box even after multiple purges. This oxygen binds and makes an oxide layer on my clathrates. I don't know how to avoid this and am trying to find some suggestions. My goal is to achieve a pure clathrate to measure thermodynamic data with and this oxide layer throws all my data off. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Eye implant could lead to better glaucoma treatment
Electricity helping the blind navigate
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules (Update)
Danger
Apr26-13, 05:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
If this is a pumping problem, have you tried introducing chemicals to absorb or adsorb the remaining oxygen after the argon is sealed in?
Astronuc
Apr26-13, 09:17 PM
Admin
P: 21,869
How much oxygen, or rather what is the level of oxygen in the Ar atmosphere. In such cases, one might use a chemical reaction to bind the oxygen, e.g., a getter such as a heated Ti or Zr metal in the form of a mesh, or one could use cracked ammonia for a reducing atmosphere, but hydrogen is flammable or explosive.

Q_Goest
Apr27-13, 06:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,906
Oxide Issues

Try Googling "oxygen getter".

For example: http://pureguard.net/cm/Library/Gett...ification.html

Register to reply