Solving a Large Steady-State System with ASPEN

• Thread starter runningman19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a complex chemical process system in a program similar to Aspen (DWSIM). The focus is on solving the problem without any given molar flow rates by using constraints and selectivity data. The conversation also mentions the use of a reactor, heat exchanger, and other equipment to optimize performance and remove excess nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide from the system. The experts recommend starting by drawing a flow sheet and selecting a basis for the calculations.
runningman19
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently working on solving a complex chemical process system in a program similar to Aspen (DWSIM). We aren't given any molar flow rates of feed streams, only constraints on various parts of the system (i.e. only 5 mol% of ethylene may enter the reactor at a time).

1. Homework Statement

E1 C2H4 + 0.5 O2 --> C2H4
E2 C2H4 + 3O2 --> 2CO2+2H2O​
Fresh ethylene and air at 20 C and 10 atmospheres are combined with a recycle stream containing unreacted ethylene, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and traces of water vapor. The combined product is passed through a heat exchanger, then a fired heater, and fed to a reactor at 225 C at a pressure of 10 atmospheres. The ethylene in the reactor feed must be maintained between 5 and 10 mole % for the catalyst to function properly. The single pass conversion may be adjusted between 20 and 95% to optimize performance. All of the oxygen in the feed reacts. The reactor effluent emerges at 275 C and is passed through the other side of the same heat exchanger and then another in which it is cooled (with cooling water) to 40 C. The cooled stream is fed through an absorber in which essentially all of the ethylene oxide is absorbed by water. The water-ethylene oxide stream is passed to a distillation column in which 98% of the ethylene oxide leaves in the top product as 99.9% pure EO, while the balance of the ethylene oxide and water is sent to a wastewater treatment facility. The gas stream leaving the absorber becomes the recycle stream previously mentioned. However, some of the recycle stream is purged so excess carbon dioxide and nitrogen do not build up in the system.
You are limited by the selectivity data presented in Table 1 and by the operating requirement
Percent Conversion Selectivity
20 6.0
40 5.8
60 5.2
80 3.6
90 1.2

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never seen a problem like this before, but my best idea of where to start is at the reactor (considering we don't have molar flow rates for the stream). I drew the reactor in Aspen and am in the process of adding a reaction to the system. I have no problem with creating the reaction, but have no idea how to deal with excess nitrogen, argon or carbon dioxide. Also, any additional recommendations on how to solve this problem would be a great help because as I said, I have never seen a problem like this in my life.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not much of an attempt, this is :smile:
E1 is a weird looking reaction equation ?!
For your simulation you can simply begin with picking a flow, e.g. 100 kmol/h. Approximate composition follows from 5-10% C2H4, air such that enough O2 is present and the remainder is CO2 for a start. The recycle can be closed later on.
Draw a flowsheet, annotate with your given info and improvise !

Likes Chestermiller and epenguin
I second BvU's recommendation to do nothing until you draw a flow sheet. Also, to solve this, you are going to need to select a basis for the calculations, such as 100 moles/hr pure feed.

1. How can I solve a large steady-state system using ASPEN?

To solve a large steady-state system with ASPEN, you will need to first input the necessary data and parameters into the software. Then, you can use the steady-state simulation feature to run the system and obtain the desired results.

2. What are the advantages of using ASPEN for solving large steady-state systems?

ASPEN is a powerful and efficient software that is specifically designed for chemical process simulation. It offers a user-friendly interface, robust calculation engines, and a wide range of thermodynamic models, making it a reliable tool for solving complex steady-state systems.

3. Can I import data from other software into ASPEN for solving a large steady-state system?

Yes, ASPEN allows for the import of data from various software such as Excel, MATLAB, and other process simulation tools. This feature makes it convenient to use existing data and models from other sources in your ASPEN simulations.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from ASPEN simulations?

The accuracy of ASPEN simulations depends on the quality of the input data and the chosen thermodynamic models. However, ASPEN has been extensively validated and is widely used in industries for process design and optimization, proving its accuracy and reliability.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to solve large steady-state systems with ASPEN?

Yes, there are various resources available for learning how to use ASPEN for solving large steady-state systems. These include online tutorials, user manuals, and training courses provided by the company. Additionally, there are also many online forums and communities where users can share their knowledge and experiences with ASPEN.