Register to reply

Is butter really bad for you?

by nsaspook
Tags: butter
Share this thread:
nsaspook
May10-13, 10:25 AM
P: 641
I see this article about a school dept. cracking down on the use of even small amounts of butter in cooking. Is there really medical evidence that "low" fat oils are healthier than the equivalent about of 'butter' in a balanced diet with normal amounts of daily exercise?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1339986

A shallow and quick google search for "is butter bad for you" shows mainly links showing it's actually better than most replacements.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Three-quarters of depressed cancer patients do not receive treatment for depression, new approach could transform care
Better classification to improve treatments for breast cancer
Oral contraceptive equal to antibiotics for acne care
Monique
May10-13, 10:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
I don't know but that article doesn't make sense: the school must use low-fat oil? I think oil contains more fat than butter per unit. Also, they should serve "peanut butter, jelly and cream cheese with bread", because it's less fattening than butter? Peanut butter contains lots of fats and oils, jelly lots of sugar. Cream cheese doesn't sound that healthy either.

However, I think it's good to limit the use of butter as an ingredient, often I had the impression that US restaurants use a couple of sticks per serving. Oil would be a healthier option, since one doesn't use the same amount and it lower on saturated fats.
phinds
May10-13, 10:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,325
I remember some years back when I studied nutrition a bit to learn how to eat healthier, I paid a lot of attention to how much saturated fat various foods have because my dietician had told me that was one of the things, along with sodium, that I wanted to keep to a minimum.

I was quite startled when I looked up butter and it said amount of saturated fat = 100%

In other words, as far as saturated fat goes, there ISN'T anything that can possibly be worse than butter (or taste better)

Monique
May10-13, 10:58 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Is butter really bad for you?

Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I was quite startled when I looked up butter and it said amount of saturated fat = 100%
That can't be right.

According to USDA Food-A-Pedia

1 tbsp butter: 102 cal. 7 g saturated, 3 g unsaturated fat
1 tbsp olive oil: 119 cal. 2 g saturated fat, 11 g unsaturated fat
phinds
May10-13, 11:08 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
That can't be right.

According to USDA Food-A-Pedia

1 tbsp butter: 102 cal. 7 g saturated, 3 g unsaturated fat
1 tbsp olive oil: 119 cal. 2 g saturated fat, 11 g unsaturated fat
Hm ... maybe I misremember and what it said was FAT = 100%, not saturated fat.
SW VandeCarr
May10-13, 03:06 PM
P: 2,500
While olive oil and canola oil are high in total fat, these oils are high in monounsaturated fat. Together with polyunsaturated fats, these are referred to as the "good fats". Saturated fat and trans fats are the so called "bad fats" which have been linked to atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. As already shown, butter has higher proportions of the bad fats while the oils have the higher proportion of the good fats. It's not black and white. Polyunsaturated fats are a mixed bag and there is still controversy about their impact on heart disease. My Trader Joe's olive oil has 10g of monounsaturated fat, 1.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 2 g of saturated fat and 0 cholesterol and trans fat per serving.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262
DrDu
May10-13, 04:39 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,593
Hm ... maybe I misremember and what it said was FAT = 100%, not saturated fat.
Butter also contains about 16% water, so this can't be true either.
phinds
May10-13, 04:53 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
Butter also contains about 16% water, so this can't be true either.
Ok, I've got it. The % of CALORIES is 100% fom fat!
Evo
May10-13, 05:08 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Ok, I've got it. The % of CALORIES is 100% fom fat!
No, because butter contains protein (milk solids) in addition to fat.

You can see it here. It's a small amount.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...g-products/0/2
phinds
May10-13, 05:13 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
No, because butter contains protein (milk solids) in addition to fat.

You can see it here. It's a small amount.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...g-products/0/2
Huh. The site I looked at really quickly did say calories from fat = 100% so I guess they were throwing out what almost amounts to being a rounding error.
Evo
May10-13, 05:16 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Huh. The site I looked at really quickly did say calories from fat = 100% so I guess they were throwing out what almost amounts to being a rounding error.
Still wrong. If you look at a tiny amount, say a tablespoon, they do round it.
Andre
May11-13, 03:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Maybe it's the butter content that was 100%
audioloop
May11-13, 05:30 PM
P: 461
Saturated fats are also necessary....
SW VandeCarr
May11-13, 10:21 PM
P: 2,500
Quote Quote by audioloop View Post
Saturated fats are also necessary....
There are just two essential fatty acids: alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3) and linoleic acid (an omega-6). All others can be synthesized by humans. Both are polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). In modern Western diets, there is a considerable excess of omega-6 over omega-3 PUFAs (20-30:1). Current research indicates a ratio over 4:1 is unhealthy. Cold water fish, walnuts and flaxseed are good sources of omega-3 PUFAs.

http://www.nuskinmall.co.kr/images/d...n/FORM92_1.pdf

Register to reply