Register to reply

Safety- poly resin , MEKp my boss might be a butthead

by Hydrangea
Tags: fumes, mekp, polyester resin, respirator, safety
Share this thread:
Hydrangea
May14-13, 01:11 AM
P: 7
On a side note, does anyone think it is crummy that I had to pour and mix polyester resin, MEKP , (fume hood available), while my boss took solvents and chemicals out of the fume hood for weighing etc? I was not provided a respirator, even though all the MSDS s and most forums indicate it is usual... :(
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
256bits
May14-13, 03:04 AM
P: 1,467
Quote Quote by Hydrangea View Post
On a side note, does anyone think it is crummy that I had to pour and mix polyester resin, MEKP , (fume hood available), while my boss took solvents and chemicals out of the fume hood for weighing etc? I was not provided a respirator, even though all the MSDS s and most forums indicate it is usual... :(
Actually the MSDS says:
http://noracperoxides.com/msds/Norox...EKP-9_MSDS.pdf
If airborne concentrations are expected to exceed acceptable levels wear a NIOSH
approved air-purifying respirator with an organic vapor cartridge or canister. When
using respirators refer to OSHA’s 29CFR 1910.134
It also states that by inhalation it is moderately toxic, but a severe skin and eye irritant.

Since you had a fume hood the level of airborne concentration should have been acceptable.

From the MSDS, a greater worry would have been about a lack of both goggles for eye protection and protective clothing and gloves for skin protection, but since you did not mention that it seems not to have worried you or the items were available.

Not saying you are incorrect in feeling apprehensive. Perhaps discuss with your boss about aquiring resperators to be available, since when handling toxic material always expect the unexpected.
Hydrangea
May14-13, 03:25 AM
P: 7
[QUOTE=256bits;4382341]Actually the MSDS says:
http://noracperoxides.com/msds/Norox...EKP-9_MSDS.pdf

Right. Thank you re: skin contact, eye advice.

What about the polyester resin? I did read the thing. But I have been reading so many this last week I have tuned them out in a way. TMI.
Lol, yes: protective clothing donned. I wear spec.s, so I admittedly ought to have had on goggles over top. I have the bad habit of thinking the glasses are enough.

Now that you mention it, I am guilty of missing the forest- trees. I was cleaning up and a little bit of acetone splashed onto my face. Ick. My eyes were safe. Guess I hardly have room to complain-- one of those moments where you are embarrassed at your mistake so I ignore it.(wiped on my lab coat arm).

I guess it bugged me that she didn't seem to have issue with having the chemicals opened up and then started to pour the mekp on the open bench top . I know I shouldn't gripe because after all, "who amongst is perfect?" Like, I'm throwing stones from my glass house, when actually, I'm sure Ive done all of the same. Deep breath!

Thanks for your response!!!

Register to reply