Pressure-volume curve: Elastic Recoil Pressure don't make sense

by brownie_souffl
Tags: curve, elastic, pressure, pressurevolume, recoil, sense
brownie_souffl
May18-13, 02:56 AM
P: 1
From pressure-volume curve of the lung and chest wall (attached photo), I don't understand why would the elastic recoil pressure of the lung is initially negative then becomes positive above 30% of vital capacity when the lung volume increases from residual volume?

What I initially thought was as the lung volume increases, the elasticity of the lung would increases (thus increasing elastic recoil pressure) because the lung is being stretched more. However I don't understand as to why should the elastic recoil pressure starts at such a negative value in the beginning?

Can someone please help me clear up this confusion?
Attached Thumbnails
pressure-volume.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Sprifermin offers benefit for cartilage loss from knee osteoarthritis
Distracted driving among teens threatens public health and safety
Key milestone for brown fat research with a ground-breaking MRI scan
256bits
May19-13, 05:45 AM
P: 1,259
Wrong beginning.
See the line resting respiratory level - approx 35% lung repiratory capacity, 48% total.
That is where you are right now with your lungs, diaphram relaxed and not breating in or out.

Exhale - you go below the line. Inhale you go above. Try some breathing to see where you are on the curve(s) and what you or your breathing apparatus has to do.

Register to reply