Fluid mechanics of turbines

by hihiip201
Tags: fluid, mechanics, turbines
Share this thread:
hihiip201
Jun6-13, 04:47 AM
P: 163
Hi all:

I have a question regarding the fluid mechanics of turbine, both impulse and reaction turbines.

I have searched many sites , including my fluid mechanic textbook, and yet I still don't quite understand the physics behind a turbine.

Impulse turbine is a bit easier to understand as I can use plain newtonian mechanics (2nd law) to understand the transfer of energy and momentum.

But for a reaction turbine, although it is essentially Newton's third Law, I am stuck on how to analysis the pressure, velocity and work done on the rotor using strictly fluid mechanics principles (Bernoulli equation etc). I am fully aware that they are still just Newtonian's mechanics, but I would like to understand it in terms of fluid mechanics concepts - and then relate it back to newtonian's mechanics.

When I took fluid mechanics , all we were taught is to treat the turbine in a fluid flow a "black box" the exert a force in the fluid flow going past it when using Navier Stoke's equation because my professor was more concern with us knowing the idea of the integral and differential momentum equations.

thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
boneh3ad
Jun6-13, 07:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,503
You can't use Bernoulli's equation. Work is being done by the fluid.
SteamKing
Jun6-13, 08:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,533
At the end of this thread (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...hlight=turbine)
you will find a link to some sample thermodynamic calculations, showing how steam velocity is turned into work.

Aero_UoP
Jun6-13, 03:43 PM
P: 137
Fluid mechanics of turbines

This is also a good book:
http://books.google.gr/books/about/E...MC&redir_esc=y

Register to reply