Register to reply

How to calculate the magnetic dipole moment?

by Phztastic
Tags: magnetic moment
Share this thread:
Phztastic
Jun7-13, 09:22 PM
P: 50
Does anyone out there know how I can calculate the magnetic dipole moment of a simple bar magnet?
Or any kind of magnet?

Without using this formula: [itex]\tau[/itex] = μ x B
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
Phztastic
Jun7-13, 09:35 PM
I think that I need to figure out the pole strength (m1, m2) of the magnet and them figure out the moment.

I think, the magnetic dipole moment is μ = md
d= separation between the two poles?

I'm not sure though...
IN FACT, how can anyone calculate the pole strength in A.m?
Khashishi
Jun8-13, 12:06 AM
P: 887
Do you mean calculate from first principles? I don't think that's easy. At zero temperature, if there are no grain boundaries, you could probably add up all the dipole moments from all the atoms. If it's ferromagnetic, I think they line up.

At higher temperature, you need to calculate the occupancy of aligned versus non-aligned spins. I guess it takes a Boltzmann distribution for each atom, but they are coupled so you need some kind of mean field approximation or something.

But if there are grain boundaries, that kinda screws up everything.

Phztastic
Jun8-13, 11:44 PM
How to calculate the magnetic dipole moment?

Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
Do you mean calculate from first principles? I don't think that's easy. At zero temperature, if there are no grain boundaries, you could probably add up all the dipole moments from all the atoms. If it's ferromagnetic, I think they line up.

At higher temperature, you need to calculate the occupancy of aligned versus non-aligned spins. I guess it takes a Boltzmann distribution for each atom, but they are coupled so you need some kind of mean field approximation or something.

But if there are grain boundaries, that kinda screws up everything.
Well would anyone calculate the magnetic moment and the magnetic pole strength?
μ = ?
m1= ?

What way can I figure out the magnetic moment/magnetic pole strength.
Jano L.
Jun9-13, 07:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,165
You can measure the force the magnet exerts on current loop of known magnetic moment, use the formula for magnetic force to determine the magnetic field B the magnet produces, and then calculate what poles are needed to produce such field.
Phztastic
Jun9-13, 11:59 PM
The magnetic field B is already given.
I only need to calculate the moment.
Jano L.
Jun10-13, 01:18 AM
PF Gold
In what way is the magnetic field given?
Phztastic
Jun10-13, 03:44 AM
The magnetic field is measured by an instrument.
Its at 0.3426T
Jano L.
Jun10-13, 03:46 AM
PF Gold
At which point?
Phztastic
Jun10-13, 10:27 PM
At point r.
Jano L.
Jun11-13, 03:50 AM
PF Gold
Can you post a drawing? I do not know where "r" is.

Register to reply