How to calculate the magnetic dipole moment?

In summary, a magnet has two poles, and you need to calculate the magnetic dipole moment to figure out how strong it is.
Phztastic
How to calculate the magnetic dipole moment??

Does anyone out there know how I can calculate the magnetic dipole moment of a simple bar magnet?
Or any kind of magnet?

Without using this formula: [itex]\tau[/itex] = μ x B

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I need to figure out the pole strength (m1, m2) of the magnet and them figure out the moment.

I think, the magnetic dipole moment is μ = md
d= separation between the two poles?

I'm not sure though...
IN FACT, how can anyone calculate the pole strength in A.m?

Do you mean calculate from first principles? I don't think that's easy. At zero temperature, if there are no grain boundaries, you could probably add up all the dipole moments from all the atoms. If it's ferromagnetic, I think they line up.

At higher temperature, you need to calculate the occupancy of aligned versus non-aligned spins. I guess it takes a Boltzmann distribution for each atom, but they are coupled so you need some kind of mean field approximation or something.

But if there are grain boundaries, that kinda screws up everything.

Khashishi said:
Do you mean calculate from first principles? I don't think that's easy. At zero temperature, if there are no grain boundaries, you could probably add up all the dipole moments from all the atoms. If it's ferromagnetic, I think they line up.

At higher temperature, you need to calculate the occupancy of aligned versus non-aligned spins. I guess it takes a Boltzmann distribution for each atom, but they are coupled so you need some kind of mean field approximation or something.

But if there are grain boundaries, that kinda screws up everything.

Well would anyone calculate the magnetic moment and the magnetic pole strength?
μ = ?
m1= ?

What way can I figure out the magnetic moment/magnetic pole strength.

You can measure the force the magnet exerts on current loop of known magnetic moment, use the formula for magnetic force to determine the magnetic field B the magnet produces, and then calculate what poles are needed to produce such field.

The magnetic field B is already given.
I only need to calculate the moment.

In what way is the magnetic field given?

The magnetic field is measured by an instrument.
Its at 0.3426T

At which point?

At point r.

Can you post a drawing? I do not know where "r" is.

1. How do you calculate the magnetic dipole moment of an object?

The magnetic dipole moment of an object can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of its magnetic field by the area of the loop or coil through which the current is flowing. This can be represented by the equation: M = B x A, where M is the magnetic dipole moment, B is the magnetic field, and A is the area of the loop or coil.

2. How do you determine the direction of the magnetic dipole moment?

The direction of the magnetic dipole moment is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your fingers in the direction of the current flow, the direction in which your thumb points will be the direction of the magnetic dipole moment.

3. Can the magnetic dipole moment be negative?

Yes, the magnetic dipole moment can be negative. This typically occurs when the direction of the current flow is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How is the magnetic dipole moment related to the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic dipole moment is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the magnetic dipole moment also increases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic dipole moment?

The unit of measurement for magnetic dipole moment is the ampere-meter squared (A-m^2) in SI units or the erg/gauss in cgs units.