Electric Field and Electric Dipole Moment for a Dipole

In summary, the Magnetic Dipole Moment for a Magnetic Field for a dipole oriented on the x-y axis is: ##\bar m=|m| \hat z## and the Electric Field and Electric Dipole Moment, ##\bar p## for the above dipole, are found using the Equation for 4-Scalar Potential and the Magnetic Dipole Moment.
Philosophaie
The Magnetic Dipole Moment for a Magnetic Field for a dipole oriented on the x-y axis is:
##\bar m = |m| \hat z##
The Magnetic Field is:
##\bar B = \frac{\mhu_0}{4 * \pi * |\bar r|^5} * 3 * \bar r * (\bar m . \bar r) - \bar m * |\bar r|^2##
Vector Potential is:
##\bar A = \frac{\mhu_0}{4 * \pi * |\bar r|^3} * (\bar m X \bar r)##
How do you find the Electric Field and Electric Dipole Moment, ##\bar p## for the above dipole?

This is not a homework problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is obviously a static problem you have to solve the electrostatics part independently from the magnetic field since in the static case the Maxwell equations decouple in those for the electric an magnetic components.

How do you solve for a static scalar potential using the Magnetic Dipole Moment to then solve for the Electric Field?

I don't understand, what you mean. To solve for the electric field you need the charge distribution. It's unaffected by a static magnetic dipole moment.

Is the Electric Field not a function of the scalar and vector potential?

Sure, but you need the complete sources to calculate the full four-potential!

Calculating the 4-scalar potential, ##\phi##, is my dilemma for a dipole.

When I find the equation of 4-Scalar Potential for a dipole I can can calculate the 4-Vector Potential, ##A(\phi/c,\bar r)##.

I just need help formulating the Equation for 4-##\phi##

An electrostatic dipole usually is describe by a scalar potential (in Heaviside-Lorentz units)
$$\phi(\vec{x})=\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}{4 \pi |\vec{x}|^3},$$
and a magnetic one by a vector potential,
$$\vec{A}(\vec{x})=\frac{\vec{m} \times \vec{x}}{4 \pi |\vec{x}|^3},$$
where ##\vec{p}## is the electric and ##\vec{m}## the magnetic dipole moment of the charges, currents, and permanent magnets.

How do you define the Electrostatic Dipole Moment ##\bar p##. The magnitude for a Dipole would be ##|\bar p| = Q*|\bar d|## where d is the separation of poles of the positive and negative Dipole terminals. Is the direction of the Electrostatic Dipole Moment ##\hat p:\hat x=x-d/2, \hat y=0## and ##\hat z=0##?

Last edited:
Definition:
$$\vec{p}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x}) \vec{x}.$$

vanhees71 said:
##\vec##p=∫R3d3##\vec##x ρ(##\vec##x)\##\vec##x.
##\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3\vec x = 1 \hat x## ##0 \hat y## ##0 \hat z##
##\frac{d \rho}{dt}=-grad.\bar J##
##\vec{x}=(x-(d/2)) \hat x## ##0 \hat y## ##0 \hat z##

Last edited:
Where am I going wrong?

Philosophaie said:
Where am I going wrong?
I cannot read what you wrote. It's somehow garbled. I don't know, what went wrong. Are you, maybe, using the App on a mobile device?

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This separation of charges results in a net dipole moment, which is a measure of the overall polarity of the dipole. In other words, it is the measure of the strength and direction of the electric field created by the dipole.

2. How is an electric dipole moment calculated?

The electric dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of one of the charges by the distance between the charges. It is then multiplied by a unit vector in the direction from the negative charge to the positive charge. The resulting value is measured in coulomb-meters (C⋅m) or debye (D).

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric dipole moment?

The electric field created by an electric dipole is directly proportional to the electric dipole moment. This means that an increase in the dipole moment will result in an increase in the strength of the electric field. Additionally, the direction of the electric field is always in the same direction as the dipole moment.

4. How does the orientation of an electric dipole affect the electric field?

The orientation of an electric dipole can significantly affect the resulting electric field. If the dipole moment is aligned with an external electric field, it will experience a torque and rotate to align with the field. This alignment will result in a stronger electric field, while an anti-parallel alignment will result in a weaker electric field.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric dipoles?

Electric dipoles are found in many everyday objects, such as water molecules and magnets. They are also used in various technologies, including capacitors, antennas, and electric motors. Understanding the behavior of electric dipoles is crucial in the design and functioning of these devices.