Trying to make Gasoline from scratch, figuring it out.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a Fischer-Tropsch reactor at home using pressure, electricity, graphite, and pure hydrogen. It is suggested that using a natural oil rich in fatty acids and hydrolyzing it can produce an alkylate fuel. However, it is also noted that the process may require expensive equipment and permits. It is ultimately decided that building a reactor at home may not be feasible.
black phantom
Hey everyone,
I am trying to figure out how to do this, but I don't know where to start, can I use pressure, electricity, graphite, and pure hydrogen, do i need to melt the graphite, or maybe just dissolve it. I could use a little help, I know it may be cheaper to just buy it, but that defeats the purpose of the experiment.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just build a table-top Fischer-Tropfsch reactor. I mean, some guys build model railroads... Question is, are any chemists that sick so as to build scale-model chemical plants ? All we need is one eccentric billionaire chemist to fund the museum. :) I agree with the previous writer's sentiment.

If you can find a natural oil from either plant or animal that is fairly rich in C8-C12 fatty acids it is fairly straightforward. First, hydrolyze the oil into the free fatty acid with aqueous sodium hydroxide and work up the soap solution with acid and extract withhexane (or gasoline). treat the free fatty acid with either quicklime or slaked lime and heat until the free fatty acid salt decarboxylates. Distill the remainder to obtain an alkylate fuel. should be able to pull it off for about $20K in equipment and permits (50K-75K if you need to hire an engineer to figure out the details for you... education pays!) and you might be able to make gasoline for about $25/ gallon.

Easy peasy.

At least the OP is not trying to build a nuclear reactor on his kitchen table.

What is the process for making gasoline from scratch?

The process for making gasoline from scratch involves several steps, including distillation, cracking, and blending. Distillation separates crude oil into different fractions based on their boiling points. Cracking breaks down larger hydrocarbons into smaller ones. Finally, blending mixes different fractions together to create the desired composition of gasoline.

What materials are needed to make gasoline?

The main material needed to make gasoline is crude oil, which is a mixture of hydrocarbons. Other materials that may be used in the process include catalysts, such as zeolites, and additives to improve the performance of the gasoline.

How does the process of making gasoline impact the environment?

The process of making gasoline can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it provides a source of fuel for transportation and other industries. On the other hand, it also contributes to air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions. Efforts are being made to develop cleaner and more sustainable methods of producing gasoline.

Is it possible to make gasoline from renewable sources?

Yes, it is possible to make gasoline from renewable sources such as biomass and algae. These sources contain carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, which can be converted into hydrocarbons through various processes. However, the technology for producing renewable gasoline is still in its early stages and more research is needed to make it commercially viable.

What is the future of gasoline production?

The future of gasoline production is likely to involve a combination of traditional fossil fuel sources and renewable sources. With the increasing demand for cleaner and more sustainable energy options, there is a growing interest in developing new technologies for producing gasoline. This may include advancements in the conversion of biomass and carbon capture and storage technologies to reduce the environmental impact of gasoline production.