Register to reply

Trying to make Gasoline from scratch, need help figuring it out.

by black phantom
Tags: gasoline
Share this thread:
black phantom
Jun11-13, 02:34 PM
P: 13
Hey everyone,
I am trying to figure out how to do this, but I don't know where to start, can I use pressure, electricity, graphite, and pure hydrogen, do i need to melt the graphite, or maybe just dissolve it. I could use a little help, I know it may be cheaper to just buy it, but that defeats the purpose of the experiment.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
Celebrating 100 years of crystallography
Turning waste from rice, parsley and other foods into biodegradable plastic
Borek
Jun11-13, 03:33 PM
Admin
P: 23,534
Forget about it, it is not something that can be done at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_liquefaction
ChrisWhewell
Jun12-13, 02:07 PM
P: 6
Just build a table-top Fischer-Tropfsch reactor. I mean, some guys build model railroads..... Question is, are any chemists that sick so as to build scale-model chemical plants ? All we need is one eccentric billionaire chemist to fund the museum. :) I agree with the previous writer's sentiment.

chemisttree
Jun12-13, 10:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Trying to make Gasoline from scratch, need help figuring it out.

If you can find a natural oil from either plant or animal that is fairly rich in C8-C12 fatty acids it is fairly straightforward. First, hydrolyze the oil into the free fatty acid with aqueous sodium hydroxide and work up the soap solution with acid and extract withhexane (or gasoline). treat the free fatty acid with either quicklime or slaked lime and heat until the free fatty acid salt decarboxylates. Distill the remainder to obtain an alkylate fuel. should be able to pull it off for about $20K in equipment and permits (50K-75K if you need to hire an engineer to figure out the details for you... education pays!) and you might be able to make gasoline for about $25/ gallon.

Easy peasy.
SteamKing
Jun12-13, 11:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,472
At least the OP is not trying to build a nuclear reactor on his kitchen table.

Register to reply