Aerospace vs Mech Eng

by rocketboy
Tags: aerospace, mech
Share this thread:
rocketboy
Apr2-05, 02:27 PM
P: 251
Hey,

I was wondering what the main differences are between an aerospace eng and mech eng undergrad program. I've been looking into aerospace but there are very very few (i think 2) universities in Canada that offer it as an undergraduate study. (UofT and Carleton). So what does it offer that mech eng doesn't and vice versa?

Thanks
-Jon
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
cronxeh
Apr2-05, 03:11 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
basically:

AE: in your senior year you choose AeroDynamics, Aircraft flight mechanics, Aerospace propulsion
ME: you take finite element analysis or some advanced statics class, some electives (HVAC, Internal Combustion Engine, etc).
Knavish
Apr2-05, 05:38 PM
P: 110
Would it be more practical to get an undergrad in aerospace versus physics? I am thinking that I should do this - and afterwards go to grad school for physics. Is there really no point in this? Should I go physics for undergrad too?

brewnog
Apr2-05, 05:42 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
Aerospace vs Mech Eng

Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering degrees are broadly the same in the UK, the latter being more general and the former (naturally) concentrating slightly more on aerodynamics and aerospace systems, and less on manufacturing and materials.

An engineering degree would definitely be more "practical" than a physics degree, but you need to ask yourself whether practicality is a real consideration in your studies. Good luck either way.
rocketboy
Apr3-05, 09:20 PM
P: 251
This may be a stupid question, however since only 2 canadian universities offer aero eng at undergrad level, perhaps not so much. If i were to go into a graduate aerospace program after i did my undergrad, how much of an advantage would i have coming out of an aerospace eng vs coming out of mech eng. I'm sure there are many mech eng undergrad students who go into aeros grad studies....so what is the advantage to an aero undergrad?

thanks, you guys are the greatest help.
-jon

Register to reply