What is it like to work as an Astrophysicist or an Aerospace Engineer?

In summary, Aerospace engineering is a difficult field to get into, but if you have a high IQ and are talented, it's possible. Aerospace engineers typically work on spacecraft or engines, or work on research projects. It's hard to get a job in the space industry, but it's not impossible. It's important to study hard and network, and to apply for internships.
sully21
Hi all.

I'm currently an aerospace engineering undergraduate student in my second year, but I'm going through a very confusing process of second guessings and would greatly appreciate advice from older people who work in the Aerospace or in the Physics/Astronomy fields to help me compare the two. I've researched this, I've found topics in the forums similar to this, but I think I need more help with it.

The reason why I chose this course is simply "I like space", but I'm starting to think it is very difficult to land a job on something actually closely related to space with this degree, and therefore I'm afraid I'll actually end up doing something I don't like or don't find inspiring or fulfilling; on the other hand, I'm afraid if I go the physics route, the same thing will happen unless I get deep into graduate studies in Astrophysics and even then I might end up with a job that has nothing to do with space.

If you're an Aerospace engineer or an Astrophysicist, what field do you work with and what's your typical day in the job?
How hard is it to actually get in the space industry as an Aerospace engineer, and how hard is it to work with research as an Astrophysicist?
Do you find your work inspiring? Or do you feel like your expectations haven't been met?

Perhaps a better question would be, "what career path should I choose that gets me closer to working with something directly related to space sciences?".
If I were to finish my aerospace course, I'd like to work with big space agencies with awesome jobs such as in a propulsion lab, or designing something interesting, instead of having a boring job that only indirectly relates to space travel and barely differs from any other boring office job.
If I were to go into astrophysics, I wouldn't mind sitting in a chair in front of the computer all day if it is directly related to data obtained from a telescope, or doing any kind of research; I just wouldn't like to get a job in a company that has nothing to do with all this because there were no other jobs for me.

Lastly, and I know I've said a lot so far, but what about getting a masters in Astrophysics after I graduate? Are the two courses compatible? There's a good university nearby that has a masters in Astronomy and Space Instruments. Or maybe a masters in physics with a focus on astro?

I know I sound naive, but that's because right now I'm lost. I'm 19 and have no idea what I'm doing, I just know what I like. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In aerospace engineering, significant unbalance do exist between number of engineers and development funding level i consider comfortable. In Japan during my work in JAXA, ratio of applicants/funds was about 10:1.
Therefore, if you are in the top 10% of your aerospace engineering study group, please proceed with aerospace engineering. Otherwise, please choose other topic.

There's no single answer--as always, it depends on your intellect and skill level; on where you end up; on how effectively you steer your own career; and on luck (do you have a great mentor, a bad boss, look for a job during boom times, etc.) "Doing" space is pretty vague, but it seems like you are open to doing a variety of things which is good. (For some it's being an astronaut or nothing at all. These types can expect a lot of disappointment in their futures.) I'd personally prefer the challenges working for a 2nd tier supplier on a box or subsystem that is space-qualified (high radiation, thermal and vibration environment), low power and absolutely reliable to being "directly" involved in space like tightening bolts on a rocket or reading numbers off a monitor in a mission control room prior to launch. Getting a degree in aeronautics/astronautics is as good a way to get into the field as any. Studying hard and doing well is probably the most important thing.

I'd recommend also applying for summer internship positions. Many aerospace companies have them.

Likes trurle

1. What is the difference between an astrophysicist and an aerospace engineer?

An astrophysicist studies the physical properties and behavior of objects in space, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. They use principles of physics and mathematics to understand the universe. On the other hand, an aerospace engineer designs and develops spacecraft, rockets, and other vehicles that travel through the Earth's atmosphere and into space.

2. What does a typical day look like for an astrophysicist or an aerospace engineer?

A typical day for an astrophysicist may involve conducting research, analyzing data, and writing scientific papers. They may also spend time observing celestial objects using telescopes or working with computer simulations. Aerospace engineers, on the other hand, may spend their day designing and testing new spacecraft or working on existing projects to improve their functionality and efficiency.

3. What skills are necessary to become an astrophysicist or an aerospace engineer?

Both professions require a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also essential. Strong communication and teamwork skills are important for both professions, as astrophysicists and aerospace engineers often work in teams and collaborate with others.

4. What are some potential career paths for astrophysicists and aerospace engineers?

Astrophysicists can work in a variety of settings, including universities, research institutions, and government agencies. They may also find work in private companies, such as aerospace and defense companies. Aerospace engineers can work in similar settings, as well as in the aviation industry, designing and testing aircraft and propulsion systems.

5. What current projects or advancements are happening in the fields of astrophysics and aerospace engineering?

Astrophysicists are currently studying dark matter and dark energy, as well as conducting research on exoplanets and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Aerospace engineers are working on developing new technologies for space travel, such as reusable rockets and advanced propulsion systems. They are also exploring the potential for space tourism and colonization of other planets.