Register to reply

Could the brain be a quantum computer already?

by KOLYA K
Tags: brain, quantum
Share this thread:
KOLYA K
Apr3-05, 11:02 AM
P: 3
I have been thinking for the past week on how the mind works, and classical physics theory has plenty of holes in it.

The most convincing aspect of my new theory is with how the brain and memory work. When you wish to remember something, could the brain and its neurons be sending an advance wave back in time to the correct moment, then back in time the brain unconciously sends the information in a retarded wave back to you. It would explain why some memories can seem so real, like you are re-living the experience. It would also explain why generally the further back in time you wish to remember the longer it takes to remember the event in general due to the speed of light limit of the retarded wave, and why sometimes the memory 'pops' into your head after you have given up trying to remember, with C putting a lower limit on the time it takes to complete the collapse of the wave function. If you had recently remembered that thing, the advance wave may not have to go back in time as much.

The theory could explain classic experiences such as de-ja-vu, your mind receiving an advance wave from yourself in the future.
Could our brains already be real time machines?

I would appreciate some feedback on this as I am fairly new to the subject, with my background so far being in classical physics and mathematics.
All the best everyone.
Kolya Kamenev.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
hexhunter
Apr3-05, 11:50 AM
P: 103
i think there is no doubt that our brains are linked to the dimensions in time, in fact, we may not even be looking at our future selves, but 'parrallel universes' in which at the moment we had first seen the images, we were actually observing the event ourselves
noblesavage8
Apr3-05, 01:07 PM
P: 5
Quote Quote by KOLYA K
It would explain why some memories can seem so real, like you are re-living the experience.
it seems to me here that you are referring to the phenomenon of deja vu. researchers have discovered that deja vu is caused by an unconscious registering of information which, when you become consciously aware of, seems familiar since the brain has already registered it as a memory (i.e. you see someone in your peripheral vision without directly being aware of them and when you do see them, your brain has already registered them as a memory so it seems as if they/the situation is very familiar). either that, or the deja vu is triggered by a past memory that is similar to the situation that you have just seen.

hexhunter
Apr3-05, 01:14 PM
Could the brain be a quantum computer already?

Quote Quote by noblesavage8
it seems to me here that you are referring to the phenomenon of deja vu. researchers have discovered that deja vu is caused by an unconscious registering of information which, when you become consciously aware of, seems familiar since the brain has already registered it as a memory (i.e. you see someone in your peripheral vision without directly being aware of them and when you do see them, your brain has already registered them as a memory so it seems as if they/the situation is very familiar). either that, or the deja vu is triggered by a past memory that is similar to the situation that you have just seen.
i can't beleive that, as some memories are quite definitly real, if you recognise somebody, you recognise sombody, you do not remember every event in an approx. 5 second period
juju
Apr3-05, 03:48 PM
P: 294
Quote Quote by hexhunter
in fact, we may not even be looking at our future selves, but 'parrallel universes'
If the brain has connectivity to parallel universes (and I think it might), then this may justify the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

juju
Prague
Apr3-05, 06:38 PM
P: 48
well, wouldn't that mean that memories would be perfect? Which, in fact they are not. We often tend to replace objects with different objects and fill in missing information when we access our memories. Also, how would you measure the distance between the memory in the past and future? Also, how do you explain memory loss etc...
hexhunter
Apr4-05, 06:29 AM
much like time, we know it's there, we have some control in what happens, but we can't see it all, its hiding behind the sofa of mystery
and of course, some people do have photographic memory
also, do not think that our bodies are on our side, their not keeping us alive for our own sake, much more likely for the sake of the bacterium we carry, we exist as giant vehicles for tiny beings, what we don't know, we probably don't have to know, as long as we do our job, what we forget is not important to the cause of our existence, if we remember a place but can't remember where it is or its name, then we won't be able to go back, wasting time for the bacterium that wishes to spread...

do i sound mad????
mewmew
Apr4-05, 02:53 PM
P: 115
Quote Quote by hexhunter
do i sound mad????
yes, I think you do
noblesavage8
Apr4-05, 06:53 PM
P: 5
Quote Quote by hexhunter
i can't beleive that, as some memories are quite definitly real, if you recognise somebody, you recognise sombody, you do not remember every event in an approx. 5 second period
...actually. there's also jamais vu. which is when you DO recognize somebody but you refuse to believe that you've met. essentially the opposite of deja vu...
Tom Mattson
Apr4-05, 07:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
This thread is the sort of overspeculation that is prohibited in our Site Guidelines. Please take note in the future.

Thank you,

Tom

Register to reply