Motorcycle cornering force on each tire?

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a motorcycle during a steady-state corner at a sustained speed. The main forces of interest are the inward horizontal force on the front tire, the inward horizontal force of the rear tire, and the outward centrifugal force. These forces must be balanced for the motorcycle to maintain a constant rotation rate. The concept of "camber thrust" is explained as the lateral force that keeps the bike on a curved path, while "slip angle" is a term for the lateral force caused by an outwards twisting deformation at the contact patch. The conversation also touches on the relationship between lean angle and lateral force, and the effect of slip angles on the overall cornering load.
shaddix
Thanks to anyone who cares to read or respond. I've never taken a physics class so really all I have is "it seems to me". But I would like what seems to me to make sense.

Scenario. I have a motorcycle, in a steady-state corner(a circle), say 40 feet in diameter. And motorcycle is traversing the corner at a sustained 25mph. I'm trying to determine, what forces are acting on the bike. I really don't even know where to start with it. It seems to me that there is "camber thrust" from both tires, due to the fact the side of the tire is smaller than the centre. So that is doing something. And then the front tire is pointed to the inside of the turn, forcing the front of the bike to laterally accelerate in that direction as it goes around. And the back tire is providing forward motion.

So it seems to me that the majority of the cornering load is going to be on the front tire, and the back tire is basically just following the front of the bike around. Is that a correct supposition? So the practical effect of this is that if you were to let go of the handlebars, and crank the throttle wide open, you would simply exit the turn and go straight(the bike would stand up).

This also makes it seem like, you could lean the bike way over, open the throttle as much as you want, and as long as you don't change your lean angle, the back tire shouldn't slide out. Somehow I think there is less weight on the back tire when the bike is leaned over to allow for max throttle, but I can't figure out how.

Sorry this is such a jumble!

Physics news on Phys.org
The bike is cornering at a steady rate, right? So its rotation rate is constant, right? That means it cannot be under any net torque about a vertical axis.

If we adopt a rotating frame of reference that is moving in a circle along with the motorcycle then there are three horizontal forces of interest.

There is the inward horizontal force on the front tire. There is the inward horizontal force of the rear tire. And there is the outward centrifugal force that may be treated as being applied to the motorcycle's center of mass.

If the center of mass is midway between the contact patches then the inward force on the two tires must be equal, otherwise there would be an unbalanced torque about the center of mass.

Last edited:
shaddix said:
"camber thrust" from both tires, due to the fact the side of the tire is smaller than the centre.
The fact that the side of the tire is smaller than the center of the tire could result in a "cone" effect, but a rig with two cones, one in front of the other, and with parallel axis, tends to move in a nearly straight line.

"camber thrust" is the lateral force related to linear lateral deformation at the contact patch, while "slip angle" is related to an outwards twisting deformation at the contact patch. I'm not aware of a term for the lasteral force related to "slip angle". Wiki articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_thrust

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_angle

A motorcycle in a steady turn has mostly camber force to keep the bike on the curved path. Camber force is determined by lean angle and results in no turning moment. You suppose that the rear tire is simply following along, and that's not true. There is a slip angle force pushing the rear wheel to the outside of the turn. Because this force opposes the camber force, the net effect is to reduce the side force in a turn. The front wheel can be steered to balance the rear force although some net turning moment may be needed because of the friction generated in turning. Because of the slip angles, it is necessary to lean farther to achieve the same lateral force.

I can provide an explanation for the cornering forces on each tire of a motorcycle. First, let's start with the basics of circular motion. When an object is moving in a circular path, it is constantly changing direction, which means it is constantly accelerating towards the center of the circle. This acceleration is known as centripetal acceleration and is given by the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

In the case of a motorcycle cornering, the tires are providing the centripetal force to keep the bike moving in a circular path. The front tire is responsible for providing the lateral force that keeps the bike from sliding out of the turn. This is due to the combination of camber thrust from the shape of the tire and the steering angle of the front tire. The back tire is responsible for providing the forward motion of the bike, as you mentioned.

However, it is not accurate to say that the majority of the cornering load is on the front tire. Both tires are equally important in maintaining the stability and control of the motorcycle. The weight distribution on the tires will depend on factors such as the weight distribution of the bike, the rider's position, and the speed of the bike.

In terms of leaning the bike and opening the throttle, the weight distribution on the tires will change. When the bike is leaned over, the weight will shift towards the inside of the turn, which means there will be less weight on the outside tire. This can affect the grip and stability of the tires, so it's important for riders to be aware of their weight distribution when cornering.

In conclusion, the cornering forces on each tire of a motorcycle are a combination of lateral force from the front tire and forward force from the back tire. Both tires are equally important in maintaining control and stability during cornering, and the weight distribution on the tires can change depending on various factors. I hope this helps to clarify the concept of cornering forces on a motorcycle.

1. What is motorcycle cornering force on each tire?

The motorcycle cornering force on each tire refers to the force that is applied to the tires when a motorcycle is turning or cornering. This force is the result of the motorcycle's weight, the rider's body position, and the speed and angle at which the turn is being taken. The cornering force is what allows the motorcycle to maintain its stability and turn smoothly.

2. How does motorcycle cornering force affect handling?

The motorcycle cornering force is a crucial factor in determining the handling and maneuverability of a motorcycle. The force applied to each tire helps to keep the motorcycle stable and allows it to turn smoothly. Insufficient cornering force can result in a loss of control and cause the motorcycle to slide or crash, while excessive cornering force can make the motorcycle difficult to handle and reduce its turning ability.

3. What factors affect the amount of cornering force on each tire?

There are several factors that can affect the amount of cornering force on each tire. These include the weight and distribution of the motorcycle and rider, the speed at which the motorcycle is traveling, the angle of the turn, the condition of the road surface, and the type and condition of the tires. Proper body positioning and technique can also play a role in maximizing the cornering force on each tire.

4. How does tire grip impact cornering force?

Tire grip is a crucial factor in determining the amount of cornering force that can be applied to a motorcycle's tires. The grip of the tires is affected by the type and condition of the tires, as well as the road surface. Tires with better grip will be able to generate more cornering force, allowing the motorcycle to turn more efficiently and smoothly. It is essential to regularly check and maintain tire pressure and tread to ensure optimal grip and cornering force.

5. Can cornering force be calculated or measured?

Yes, cornering force can be calculated or measured using various techniques. One common method is to use a dynamometer or force plate to measure the force applied to the tires during a turn. This data can then be analyzed to determine the cornering force on each tire. Another way to calculate cornering force is through mathematical formulas that take into account factors such as speed, angle, and weight. These calculations can help engineers and designers optimize motorcycle handling and performance.