Motorcycle model and tire force

In summary, the problem is that the wheel hub does not rotate with the tire, so the rear radius is not included in the equation for the generalized force.This results in same vehicle acceleration but different applied torques, but i don't know how to handle this issue.
LucaCaiaffa
I'm having issues in the application of tire forces while deriving a multi-body model of a motorcycle via Lagrange.

Immagine.png

In particular, I considered several bodies that are: swingarm, main frame,
front upper fork, front lower fork and wheels.

I suppose the wheels to have zero slippage, then knowing the wheel rear torque
as ##T## and the rear radius as ##R_r## we have that ##F_x=T/R_r##

The kinematic model is correct and also forces from suspensions (the model
have been validated).The problem arises from the application point of ##F_x##.
While calculating the generalized force from ##F_x## the rear radius disappear,
meaning that the applied force acts like if it is applied in the center of the rear wheel instead of the contact point of the tire.

This results in same vehicle acceleration but different applied torques, but i don't know how to handle this issue.

I saw that many models found the same problem, but i don't get the point why this appears.

Thank you for your support

Physics news on Phys.org
The represented force points in the wrong direction.
The pavement-tire contact patch is the fulcrum of a lever.
The chain applied force is at top of the rear sprocket, the reaction force is applied to the axis of the tire, which moves forward, pushing the chassis via swingarm.

Last edited:
LucaCaiaffa said:
While calculating the generalized force from ##F_x## the rear radius disappear
What do you mean by "it disappears"?

Lnewqban said:
The represented force points in the wrong direction.
No, it's not if it is the reaction force from the ground acting on the motorcycle.

jack action said:
What do you mean by "it disappears"?
I mean that there is no difference in applying the longitudinal tire force in the contact point or in the wheel hub.

This happens because no generalized coordinates relates the wheel hub and the tire contact point, and their jacobians for computing the generalized forces result the same.

For this reason I think I am "losing" a torque contribution in doing this.

Simplifying the problem, if i consider the motorcycle as a unique rigid body, I should have a torque contribution from the longitudinal force as ##T=F_xh## where ##h## is the height of the center of mass.

My model instead seems to lose the radius from the height of center of mass.

We will need to see your equation to help you further.

LucaCaiaffa said:
This happens because no generalized coordinates relates the wheel hub and the tire contact point,
I don't have real experience with the Lagrange equation, but can't you include the rotational wheel mass and angular velocity? The wheel angular displacement ##\theta## does relate to the motorcycle displacement ##x## with ##x= \theta R_r##.

1. What factors affect the force of a motorcycle's tires?

The force of a motorcycle's tires is affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the tires, the weight and speed of the motorcycle, the road conditions, and the rider's technique and handling of the motorcycle.

2. How do motorcycle manufacturers determine the ideal tire model for a specific motorcycle?

Motorcycle manufacturers determine the ideal tire model for a specific motorcycle by considering the weight and power of the motorcycle, the intended use and terrain, and the desired handling and performance characteristics. They also conduct extensive testing and analysis to ensure the tires can handle the demands of the motorcycle.

3. What is the difference between a bias-ply and a radial motorcycle tire?

A bias-ply tire has layers of rubber-coated fabric cords that run diagonally across the tire, providing strength and stability. A radial tire has steel belts running perpendicular to the direction of travel, providing better grip and handling. Radial tires are also more flexible and have a larger contact patch, resulting in better cornering and braking performance.

4. How does tire pressure affect the performance of a motorcycle?

Tire pressure plays a crucial role in the performance of a motorcycle. Low tire pressure can lead to reduced handling, decreased fuel efficiency, and increased wear and tear on the tires. On the other hand, overinflated tires can lead to a harsh ride, decreased traction, and uneven wear. It is essential to regularly check and maintain the correct tire pressure for optimal performance.

5. What are the signs that a motorcycle's tires need to be replaced?

The most common signs that a motorcycle's tires need to be replaced include visible wear and tear, such as cracks, bulges, or flat spots, decreased traction, and uneven tread wear. It is also recommended to replace tires after a certain mileage or if they are more than a few years old, even if they appear to be in good condition.