Register to reply

Fly in a car

by ycy88
Tags: None
Share this thread:
ycy88
Apr17-05, 10:01 AM
P: 3
You are driving a car. A fly is along for the ride (in the car). The fly is not hanging on to anything. Not the window, not the seat. It is flying. If you drive your car fast, faster than the fly to catch up, will the fly hit the back window? Why?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
DaveC426913
Apr17-05, 10:23 AM
P: 15,319
:No. The fly is perched on the *air* - which is accelerated with the car.:
ycy88
Apr17-05, 10:45 AM
If the air is "accelerated", why won't you feel the "wind" when you are driving in the car?

Jimmy Snyder
Apr17-05, 07:18 PM
P: 2,179
Fly in a car

Because you are accelerated too.
Icebreaker
Apr17-05, 07:25 PM
P: n/a
The fly will hit the backwindow if your acceleration is high enough.
Berislav
Apr17-05, 07:55 PM
P: 243
Quote Quote by DaveC426913
:No. The fly is perched on the *air* - which is accelerated with the car.:
Question:

Wouldn't this depend on whether the windows were open or not? Also, what about inertia?
Huckleberry
Apr17-05, 08:51 PM
P: 606
If the density of the fly is greater than that of the air then he will be moved towards the back window. A helium balloon would move forward in an accellerating car because its density is less than that of the air in the car. My guess is that a fly is denser than air.

What I'm really curious about is how Dave made a post with less than 10 characters?
BicycleTree
Apr17-05, 09:50 PM
P: 552
He posted white text to hide his answer. Select to see.
Huckleberry
Apr17-05, 10:00 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by BicycleTree
He posted white text to hide his answer. Select to see.
Oh, very clever. I see limitless possibilities in this!
ArielGenesis
Apr18-05, 07:26 AM
P: 235
Quote Quote by Huckleberry
If the density of the fly is greater than that of the air then he will be moved towards the back window. A helium balloon would move forward in an accellerating car because its density is less than that of the air in the car. My guess is that a fly is denser than air.

What I'm really curious about is how Dave made a post with less than 10 characters?
so the acceleration is simmilar like the one due to gravity isn't it. but if the fly doen't being pull to gravity (acting as same density as air even tough if it don't) would it also smashed to the rear window. i agree with the helium after all
ycy88
Apr18-05, 09:02 AM
Well, what if it all happen in vacuum? Will the fly smash the rear window? (Assume that you and the fly survive without oxygen)
Jimmy Snyder
Apr18-05, 10:08 AM
P: 2,179
The fly will won't be able to fly.
DaveC426913
Apr18-05, 06:03 PM
Quote Quote by ycy88
If the air is "accelerated", why won't you feel the "wind" when you are driving in the car?
The air has very little inertia. It is very easy to accelerate it along with the car. You feel nothing. It *does* have *some* inertia, which is why the helium balloon gets pushed forward as the air gets pushed back.

The fly will hit the backwindow if your acceleration is high enough.
Yep.

Wouldn't this depend on whether the windows were open or not?
That would be a factor, yes.

Yes, but with so little inertia, the fly is affected more by air resistance. Think of dropping a (non-flying) fly off a roof. It is much mroe affected by air resistance than it is by its own mass. Same thing happens in the car under acceleration.

He posted white text to hide his answer. Select to see. Oh, very clever. I see limitless possibilities in this!
I take no credit. As you peruse this forum, you will see that it is the standard way of providing an answer.

Well, what if it all happen in vacuum? Will the fly smash the rear window? (Assume that you and the fly survive without oxygen) The fly will won't be able to fly.
Ahah! That's clever! But if it were to hop, or use a rocket pack, then yes it would smash into the back window - just as a feather drops like a stone in a vacuum.
Rahmuss
May14-05, 05:37 PM
P: 223
Quote Quote by DaveC426913
Ahah! That's clever! But if it were to hop, or use a rocket pack, then yes it would smash into the back window - just as a feather drops like a stone in a vacuum.
In a vacuum, wouldn't the fly hit the back window very easily? There is no air to keep the fly accelerated... nothing pushing the fly forward. And as mentioned, it can't use it's wings to propel itself forward, just like we can't use our arms to do that in a vacuum.

What about with gravity? Does that mean the fly starts on the floor and most likely would not hit the window because it wouldn't get off the floor?
DaveC426913
May17-05, 08:24 AM
Quote Quote by Rahmuss
In a vacuum, wouldn't the fly hit the back window very easily? There is no air to keep the fly accelerated... nothing pushing the fly forward. And as mentioned, it can't use it's wings to propel itself forward, just like we can't use our arms to do that in a vacuum.
That *would* be the case if not for...
Quote Quote by Rahmuss
What about with gravity? Does that mean the fly starts on the floor and most likely would not hit the window because it wouldn't get off the floor?
Correct.10char

Register to reply