by Ivan Seeking
Tags: earth, google
Ivan Seeking
Jun30-05, 02:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
...Practically speaking, Google Earth, as the technology is called, allows users to get directions and find businesses and share the information with friends. But the ability to zoom in from space to street level and take virtual flyovers inevitably will elicit a chorus of gee-whizzes. [continued]
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....TMP&type=tech
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
meteor
Jul2-05, 05:48 AM
P: 915
Gee-whiz

meteor
Jul2-05, 07:31 AM
It's also possible to slant the images, to get a more accentuated 3D sensation

The Rock of Gibraltar

Cape Town

darkar
Jul3-05, 10:26 AM
P: 179

Google Earth

Are u using Legacy database or new database?
AFAIK, it seems that the image is more detail in LEgacy database.

The good points of Google Earth / Keyhole are that u can know geographical places well, improve ur geographical sense. And in GE, u can use GPRS add on...

The bad thing is that my hometown and my country is just not so clear.......
meteor
Jul3-05, 11:53 AM
The new, the so-called primary database. Do not despair about your country, possibly there will be upgrades to the software in the future, to polish the regions that are not in high resolution. I've been thinking about the potential of this technology, and I think that would be stupendous a virtual reality version, with the helmet and such, so you could experience a very real sensation of flying over Earth. Moreover, what about a video game, e.g. a RPG, having as scenario the very surface of Earth?

Some more pictures taken during my trip around Earth...

Kingston Town

Mao, in Minorca (I did my military service in that city, a whole year, yep)

Berlin

brewnog
Jul3-05, 12:34 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
This thing's amazing!
Astronuc
Jul3-05, 01:34 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
Alternatively - http://earth.google.com/ - powered by Keyhole.

Needs about 2 GB on an HD. Check system requirements before downloading.
JamesU
Jul3-05, 02:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 745
this is why googlness needs to be a word...
Galileo
Jul3-05, 03:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,004
Check this out:

http://maps.google.com/

You can scan the earth from satellite pictures online.
Note that some areas have higher resolution than others.
moose
Jul3-05, 03:53 PM
P: 555
Everyone who has this check out Mount Everest, when you move around zoomed into it, you feel as if it is 3D. It's amazing. So just get there and move around at an eye altitude of about 40000 feet.
hypnagogue
Jul3-05, 04:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,264
This program is amazing. For fun, I juxtaposed a Google Earth 3D image of Yellowstone Canyon in Yellowstone National Park with a photo I took while actually there. Damn impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
googlestone1.jpg  
Ivan Seeking
Jul3-05, 05:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by hypnagogue
Damn impressive.
No kidding!!!
darkar
Jul4-05, 12:40 AM
P: 179
Maybe u should also check the bbs of google eath/keyhole. THe comunity there always share their fun with others.
Ivan Seeking
Jul4-05, 04:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Integral
Jul4-05, 05:12 AM
Mentor
P: 7,291
I found an interesting little nook. If you follow I80 up from Auburn towards Reno you will see a corner were they have tried to match a high resolution tile with a low resolution.
See it at.
38 58' 52.84" N
121 00' 23.08"W

Ivan Seeking
Jul4-05, 11:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Integral
I found an interesting little nook. If you follow I80 up from Auburn towards Reno you will see a corner were they have tried to match a high resolution tile with a low resolution.
See it at.
38 58' 52.84" N
121 00' 23.08"W

There are some funky glitches. If you fly to one place and then enter another fly-to location that the program doesn't recognize, such as the Eiffel Tower, sometimes the program gets lost. On on occasion it placed Mount St. Helens in downtown Portland. Okay, I haven't been to Portland for awhile, but I'm guessing that's not right.

I was wondering if they have inserted any additional information for the horizontal view of key sites, but I didn't spot anything. Has anyone else? I checked places like New York, Devils Tower Wyoming, the Queen Mary, Dodger Stadium, Mt. Rushmore, Mt. St. Helens, and other places of interest that I thought might have additional data.

Oh, here you go ZapperZ, how about Disneyworld? I hadn't thought of that one.

The view of Dodger Stadium absolutely blew me away. For all practical purposes, I've sat there for before! I wonder how long it will be until we can watch a game this way!!!
hitssquad
Jul4-05, 02:02 PM
P: 1,382
With the 3D-buildings feature enabled, its rendition of the Transamerica Pyramid is distorted. It shows it as perfectly straight up and down, instead of pyramid shaped.
Kazza_765
Jul4-05, 07:45 PM
P: 166
NASA has a similar program called WorldWind. It doesn't have access to photos of the same resolution as Google , except within the US. It does let you choose between different satellites though, including one outside the visible light range. Interestingly, when I first downloaded this about two months ago, photos of the White House were pixellated, now they are clear. Also, some satellites had images missing from where area 51 is supposed to be.

Register to reply