Register to reply

Labels in VB.net

by Pauly Man
Tags: labels, vbnet
Share this thread:
Pauly Man
Apr5-03, 04:27 AM
P: 127
In VB6 and earlier if you wanted to have your program change the caption of a label you would code something like this:

dim L,L1,L2 as string
L1 = "Hello There!"
L2 = "I am Paul."
L = L1 & Chr(13) & Chr(13) & L2
lblMyLabel.Caption = L
The above code would create a label message on two lines as follows:

Hello There!
I am Paul.
Now this doesn't work in VB.net. (I know that .caption is replaced with .text). VB.net completely ignores the Chr() keyword. Does anyone else know how the above can be done now?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
damgo
Apr6-03, 03:08 AM
P: n/a
Have you tried "\n"? Maybe Microsoft has switched to the standard convention. (ha, ha, I know)
Pauly Man
Apr6-03, 04:19 AM
I tried the "\n" and it doesn't work.

Pauly Man
Apr6-03, 04:41 AM
Labels in VB.net

Sorted it. FOr some reason, Chr(13) is no longer recognised as a line break, but Chr(10) works.
J-Man
Apr7-03, 12:02 PM
P: 202
chr(13) is a carridge return, chr(10) is a linefeed. You should ideally use both when making a new text line.
Try using the constant vbCrLf instead.
i.e. L = L1 & vbCrLf & L2
Pauly Man
Apr8-03, 12:32 AM
The vbCrLf works. And I can see where it gets its name, ie. vbCreateLinefeed. But I can't find any of these constants in the help files, so how do you find out about them?
J-Man
Apr8-03, 07:08 PM
P: 202
I thought it would work.

For the vbCRLF constant:
It's mentioned in the "Working with Text Boxes" topic.

For constants in general:
In VB6, look in the Help-Contents-VisualBasicDocumentation-Reference-Constants, then there's several items that each have many subitems. It's in there somewhere.

I'm not sure where it is located for vb.net help, but I would assume it's similar. You might try searching the help for "reserved words", "constant", or something. Maybe even searching "vb" will help since they all (most) start with vb for visualbasic.

And I can see where it gets its name, ie. vbCreateLinefeed.
Acutally, it stands for "CarridgeReturn-LineFeed".
A "CarridgeReturn" is originally from the typewriter. The metal bar across the top is called a carridge return. When you push it to the right (to begin typing at the left of the page) it rolled the typewriter "carridge" up one line as it "returned" from the right. It's been used for computers ever since they were connected to a CRT and keyboard.
(edit: Maybe since they were connected to the first printers instead of CRTs.)
Ocilimond
Aug26-04, 01:11 PM
P: 1
Hello guys.
I just ran into your post trying to find out how to put line feed into my label box for class.
I referenced back and found it under Visual Basic Language Reference> Print and Display Constants in VB.NET.
Hope this helps. I just stared VB.NET class this week.
~Ocilimond

Register to reply