View Poll Results: do you go to the movies alone
always, because I have no friends 1 2.38%
always, because I like to go alone 2 4.76%
often 5 11.90%
occasionally 9 21.43%
never, I don't want 22 52.38%
never, I have too many friends that won't let my be alone for one minute 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you go to the movies alone?

by Physics is Phun
Tags: movies, poll
Physics is Phun
Jul16-05, 08:29 PM
P: 94
I don't usually.

and that option should say 'I don't want to'

and it should say 'won't let me be alone'

I really can't spell today, sheesh !!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Townsend
Jul16-05, 08:31 PM
P: 935
better.....
yourdadonapogostick
Jul16-05, 09:14 PM
P: 266
i do sometimes. i go to the movies to see the movie. it would be best if it were just me in the theatre.

i don't see why movies are such a cliche date. imo, they are really bad for dates. i guess people like to go to the movies on dates so they have a dark place to grope each other. but then, why would you pay for a dark place to fool around when you can turn off the lights in your bedroom for free?

cronxeh
Jul16-05, 09:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236

Poll: Do you go to the movies alone?

Better question is.. do you trust rottentomatoes.com to give you an objective look at the movie you want to see?

I say these 'critics' dont know jack squad about movies. Look at those ratings. They gave 72% freshness to War of the Worlds and 23% to Fantastic 4. Well I've got news for you - Fantastic 4 is far better of a movie than War of the Worlds. I mean read those reviews, its like those people didnt even see the movie or are deaf and blind

I mean read those criticisms they wrote. They have no mastery of english language or let alone an understanding of creativity and imagination
mattmns
Jul16-05, 09:19 PM
P: 1,119
Yep, buy a bucket of popcorn, take out the bottom and... ohh, umm...

I rarely watch movies, so I am probably not a good person to ask, but I think I have been to the movies by myself once. Movie was Austin Powers 2.
cronxeh
Jul16-05, 09:21 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mattmns
Yep, buy a bucket of popcorn, take out the bottom and... ohh, umm...

I rarely watch movies, so I am probably not a good person to ask, but I think I have been to the movies by myself once. Movie was Austin Powers 2.

Gross dude! Are you one of those guys that makes a hole in the popcorn bucket, unzips his pants, and puts the bucket on his lap while letting his date take the popcorn until.. well until your imagination takes you so low you get the point
Moonbear
Jul16-05, 09:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I sometimes go alone. It doesn't make any difference to me, because, like Pogo said, it's not like you are talking to someone during the movie or anything. If my friends want to see the same movie as me, we'll go out to eat before or after or do something else social the same day, but the movie itself is just watching the movie. And if I really want to see a movie, then I sometimes prefer going alone because it means I won't be late waiting around for my friends who are always late for stuff.
Pengwuino
Jul16-05, 10:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Yes, i always go with a hot friend. How people can go alone boggles my mind. And yes, when i say hot friend, im not kidding as far as i can remember.
Townsend
Jul16-05, 11:53 PM
P: 935
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Yes, i always go with a hot friend.
Does he put the popcorn on his lap like mattmns?
cronxeh
Jul17-05, 12:00 AM
PF Gold
*shakes head*

Yea I go alone sometimes. Most of the time its because my "friends" have better things to do, or simply too lazy to go or too broke at the moment. The funny thing is, about 15-20 percent of those lonely trips to the theatre are to prove a point which nobody raised, but I had to prove anyway
Pengwuino
Jul17-05, 12:04 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Townsend
Does he put the popcorn on his lap like mattmns?
haha, jerk :D
Danger
Jul17-05, 12:19 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
I prefer to go as a date situation simply because it's more cost effective. If I'm going to see the thing anyhow, then half of the evening is covered with an extra $10 for a ticket as opposed to the $50 of drinks that those 2 1/2 hours would have cost if we'd just gone to the bar. On the other hand, that 19 year-old that I was hanging with was my date for Spider-Man I, X-2, The Hulk, Star Wars I & II (and she made me go to 'Signs' with her, which she found unpredictable and frightening!) In each case her idea of being on time was to get to the theatre at starting time. I was very pissed off because I can't stand missing one second of a show, but I loved her too much to protest. Good thing it didn't last, I guess.
decs
Jul17-05, 12:33 AM
P: 10
I've never gone to the movies alone in my life!

mostly because i cant be stuffed to go by myself... its damn peer presure i say! and like what is with the insane pricing of food at cinemas..

i remember asking "what's the smallest popcorn i can get with 5 dollars", only to hear "the smallest starts at $5:50". *cry
Danger
Jul17-05, 12:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
Quote Quote by decs
"the smallest starts at $5:50". *cry
Well, that's one thing that I never worry about. I buy a small bag of bulk chocolate-covered almonds at Food For Less or Safeway for about $1.50. Even when Sheena was sharing them with me, they lasted for the whole movie. So my only expense that way was if she wanted a pop (about $2.00). I don't drink anything before or during a show, for fear of missing something by having to hit the can.

edit: By the way, I just went to Fantastic 4 alone. It was sort of refreshing. I think that I might catch it again, even though it's $10.50 per ticket! That's cheap by Calgary standards, but still a couple of bucks more than it usually costs here.
Happeh
Jul17-05, 01:24 AM
P: 67
Is there some PR campaign trying to make people feel bad about going to the movies alone? I swear I have seen references to this all over the net. People being shamed because they are "losers" who go to the movies alone.

What is wrong with going to the movies alone?

I go to a movie to go to another world. Whatever the movie is about, I want to be in that world living with the characters on screen. If i take someone with me, I have to be polite to them out of respect and courtesy. I am their companion so my attention is diverted to being good company to them. I am unable to fully immerse myself into the movie.

I think that people that go to movies in groups are wasting their money. They are not watching the movie. They are having a party like going to the bar or having a barbecue. Talking, laughing, joking. Not paying attention to the movie.

If I go to a movie with my wife, I am passing the coke and popcorn back and forth, we are making comments to each other about what is happening. Maybe she is screaming in my ear if it is a scary movie. It is a social thing, not a movie experience.
Pengwuino
Jul17-05, 01:40 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Happeh
I go to a movie to go to another world. Whatever the movie is about, I want to be in that world living with the characters on screen. If i take someone with me, I have to be polite to them out of respect and courtesy. I am their companion so my attention is diverted to being good company to them. I am unable to fully immerse myself into the movie.
I go to advance myself with girls i know
learningphysics
Jul17-05, 01:52 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,125
I only go to movies alone. I'm going there to watch the movie... not to socialize. I'd much rather watch the movie in an empty theatre if that was possible. I think much like Happeh does. Going in a group defeats the whole purpose of the movie for me. I use the movie as an escape from reality, at least for 2 hours. Why would I wanted to be reminded of my real life while in the theatre?
Pengwuino
Jul17-05, 01:55 AM
PF Gold
Oh man come on... in a dark room sitting somewhat alone with a hot chick... where else can you get that!

I think we all know what my views are on movies and this thread by now

Register to reply