Movie Recommendation for Students

• Thread starter Slimy0233
  • Start date
Slimy0233
A fellow student (also a friend) asked me about what movies she should watch to get him out of a rut, so she wants movies related to academics. I first thought of `Good Will Hunting` and `A Beautiful Mind`.

Although I like both movies, Nash was genetically gifted and Will (who probably is a fictional character) was also gifted. I was wondering if there are any movies which students must watch but which depends upon people working hard and getting places rather than being super smart.

You are welcome to name movies which belong to either categories, but please mention which ones are which. Again, I don't want these movies, but my friend does (to anyone spying one me).

Thanks to everyone who replies! You have been of some help today🤝

Attachments

• 1693056643687.png
    1693056643687.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hidden Figures, Apollo 13,, but movies don't have to be about academics/science to be inspiring/motivational for a student to "get one out of a rut". Maybe an inspirational distraction? Gladiator?

Likes pinball1970, DennisN, BillTre and 2 others
I like to say that I use music to influence my autonomic nervous system in the absence of an education as a Tibetan monk. The same holds true for movies. A friend of mine once spoke about her movie category "mommy movies". She meant romantic movies like "Sleepless in Seattle".

I think music is more direct than movies. And you have to be careful! Both can easily backfire!

Likes pinball1970 and Slimy0233
russ_watters said:
Hidden Figures, Apollo 13,, but movies don't have to be about academics/science to be inspiring/motivational for a student to "get one out of a rut". Maybe an inspirational distraction? Gladiator?
I apologize, it would be better if it's about academics :'(
sorry, I will edit the question right away

I would recommend "The Paper Chase" (1973). It is about a first-year Harvard Law student and a demanding professor.

• Informative
Likes Math100, phinds, pinball1970 and 2 others
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters and Slimy0233
jack action said:
Give a man a fish ...
haha... of c, thank you!

Are we talking undergraduate or graduate student? If the latter, try 'The PHD Movie' (Cham, 2011). Although I'm sure undergrads can relate too. It's a sort of slice-of-life comedy/drama about life in academia. Very indie, very down to earth, with many pointed observations about its subject. It's a spin off of the Piled Higher and Deeper online comic, with many of the same characters and adapted humour.
The main theme is something like: 'doing a phd sucks, but we still wouldn't want to be anywhere else'. Might be just what your friend needs.
Hell if I know where to find it these days, though.

• Informative
Likes Slimy0233 and jack action
Believe it or not, "Legally Blonde" is not all that bad of a movie (I was surprised). It fits the academic checkbox motivation-wise at least.

Likes Slimy0233 and russ_watters
"Stand and Deliver" is an inspirational movie about an aerospace engineer who quits to teach math in an inner city school district and produces classes full of
AP scholars. It's based on a true story (I remember reading about his class in the LA Times back when.

Likes berkeman and Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
I was wondering if there are any movies which students must watch but which depends upon people working hard and getting places rather than being super smart.
The Painted Veil

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446755/

This movie is about a scientifically trained person who is dedicated to understanding and stopping a cholera epidemic. There is no stuff about his intellectual talents but just about his unflinching moral commitment, hard work, and ingenuity. This is a good example because he applies science for good without being a genius.

Last edited:
Slimy0233 said:
A fellow student (also a friend) asked me about what movies she should watch to get him out of a rut, so she wants movies related to academics. I first thought of `Good Will Hunting` and `A Beautiful Mind`.

Although I like both movies, Nash was genetically gifted and Will (who probably is a fictional character) was also gifted. I was wondering if there are any movies which students must watch but which depends upon people working hard and getting places rather than being super smart.

You are welcome to name movies which belong to either categories, but please mention which ones are which. Again, I don't want these movies, but my friend does (to anyone spying one me).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Sky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_(1996_film)

Likes Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:

A bit sloppy but I still liked it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted_(2017_film)

Slimy0233 said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117333/

I thought this was a great film too.

Likes pinball1970

1. What is a movie recommendation for students?

A movie recommendation for students is a suggestion for a film that is suitable for students to watch. This could include movies that are educational, entertaining, or both.

2. How do you choose a movie recommendation for students?

Choosing a movie recommendation for students involves considering factors such as age-appropriateness, educational value, and entertainment value. It is also important to take into account the interests and preferences of the students.

3. What are some examples of movie recommendations for students?

Examples of movie recommendations for students could include documentaries on educational topics, animated films with positive messages, or coming-of-age stories that resonate with young adults.

4. Are there any resources for finding movie recommendations for students?

Yes, there are many resources available for finding movie recommendations for students. Some examples include educational websites, parenting blogs, and movie review websites that cater specifically to families and children.

5. How can movie recommendations for students benefit their education?

Movie recommendations for students can benefit their education by providing a fun and engaging way to learn about different subjects and themes. Movies can also help students develop critical thinking skills and expand their knowledge and understanding of the world.