View Poll Results: You read the Harry Potter series?
yes, they're pretty excellent 47 54.65%
yes, because i read them to some kids... 0 0%
no, and i have no desire to 39 45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

harry potter?

by Gale
Tags: harry, potter
Gale
Jul17-05, 01:12 PM
P: 676
well, dunno if anyone reads the books.... but one way to find out.... who reads them eh?

well, my girls at camp are doing "wizarding for muggles" which is a harry potter themed two weeks at camp. its been loads of fun. the other day the 6th book came out and we went to Borders in Keene to a book party, and we all dressed up and got the new book. we left on friday, the 15th, and waiting till midnight when it officially became the 16th. the girls were so tired, and one fell asleep on my shoulder on the way back, (SO CUTE!!) but it was a great time. i bought some bertie bott's beans, and droobles best blowing gum, and also a chocholate frog, (i got Gilderoy Lockhart.) i finished the new book already, it was about 650 pages, i read it all yesterday. it was good.... but sad....

anyway. just thought i'd share. i'm only on break for another hour, then back to living at the camp!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
yourdadonapogostick
Jul17-05, 01:14 PM
P: 266
harry potter is yucky
Townsend
Jul17-05, 01:23 PM
P: 935
Quote Quote by Gale17
well, dunno if anyone reads the books.... but one way to find out.... who reads them eh?
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82356

cronxeh
Jul17-05, 01:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236

harry potter?

hate. everything. harry potter. must. die!
Gale
Jul17-05, 01:28 PM
P: 676
hah, ok, i didn't know there was already a thread. sorry! i only get a two hour break, i don't have time to look through everything i've missed. i skimmed for a thread that said harry potter.... "i can't wait till tomorrow" didn't register as an HP thread...
Townsend
Jul17-05, 01:30 PM
P: 935
Quote Quote by Gale17
hah, ok, i didn't know there was already a thread. sorry! i only get a two hour break, i don't have time to look through everything i've missed. i skimmed for a thread that said harry potter.... "i can't wait till tomorrow" didn't register as an HP thread...
It's ok...I was just showing you that there are people here who read it....

We can have two Harry Potter threads...

Regards
Berislav
Jul17-05, 01:32 PM
P: 243
I haven't read the last two books in the series. The ones I did read were interesting and easy to read.
Evo
Jul17-05, 02:06 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958
I had never heard of Harry Potter until the first movie came out. I guess there was too much hype. I watched the movie to see what all the fuss was about, and perhaps my expectations were set too high because I didn't think it was that great. But it is for children, so that could explain a lot.

I love fantasy novels, but this just isn't capable of holding my interest, it's too simple and predictable.
kaos
Jul17-05, 03:08 PM
P: 88
it suxxxxxx. but at least its better than the previous crazes (barney, power rangers ,pokemon,watevar)
Astronuc
Jul17-05, 03:14 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
I love the Harry Potter series. I would say they are "pretty excellent" or as Ron would say "bloody brillian"!

They are written for pre-teen or juvenile audience of about 10-12 years of age - but that is OK, because that is the level of my mind sometimes. They are somewhat simple, but some plots are very clever, IMO, and the imagery is spectacular. I would like to see more dragons, and if only Rowling could work in an Ancient Multihued Dragon (but those I've only encountered in the Mines of Moria ).

I like many of the characters, particularly Albus Dumbledore, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black ( ), Mad-eye Moody, Hagrid, Professor Minerva McGonagall, and Arthur and Molly Weasley, and the Weasley family.

Is it corny? Yes. But I like corny sometimes. Then again, I liked the movies "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music".

I started reading the stories to my daughter and son, and I got hooked on the first book.
Knavish
Jul17-05, 04:01 PM
P: 110
Although I haven't read the books myself, my peers (=17 years old) tell me that the books have gotten much more mature, and that the characters have grown up with them. I really don't know though..

*Whoops.. This was a response to Evo.
neurocomp2003
Jul17-05, 04:21 PM
P: 1,373
i just liek the series being a magic world in our times rather then scifi novel of orcs/elves/knights/rangers....my themworld is aliens/marines
wish they continued the starshiptroppers 3D cartoon...that was awesome.
Evo
Jul17-05, 04:21 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Knavish
Although I haven't read the books myself, my peers (=17 years old) tell me that the books have gotten much more mature, and that the characters have grown up with them. I really don't know though..

*Whoops.. This was a response to Evo.
I could see that, they started reading the books as small children and the children in the books are also growing up.

As an adult used to reading more mature fantasy (Jordan, Feist, Wurtz, Eddings, etc...) it didn't appeal to me. I'm not saying it's no good, I'm just used to reading something with a more complex plot and characters, and more thought provoking.
Nomy-the wanderer
Jul17-05, 05:35 PM
P: 188
I love them, only because they set my wild imagination on fire, i read the 1st line in a paragraph and iamgine how things are goin to be, but i don't read the rest of the paragraph, so i'm not sure how is it like reading it...:D
hypatia
Jul17-05, 09:04 PM
P: 1,296
They are a fantastic read! I plan on reading them to my grandkids, when they get older.
My book get passed around to 5 adults, ,ages 23 to 66, befor it returns to me.
Glad to hear your enjoying your time with the kids Gale!
Integral
Jul17-05, 10:06 PM
Mentor
P: 7,292
Evo,
Don't judge the books by the movie. I urge you to give the first one a read. It is a small investment in time, if you don't care for it, there will be little lost. OTOH, I will bet if you read the first one, the rest will follow shortly.

I also started the set by reading the first one (acutally the first 3!) to my daughter. I was hooked by the first one. I am now starting on the latest, during the time my daughter buts it down. We both should be finished in a few days.
TheStatutoryApe
Jul17-05, 11:24 PM
P: 1,549
Quote Quote by Integral
Evo,
Don't judge the books by the movie. I urge you to give the first one a read. It is a small investment in time, if you don't care for it, there will be little lost. OTOH, I will bet if you read the first one, the rest will follow shortly.

I also started the set by reading the first one (acutally the first 3!) to my daughter. I was hooked by the first one. I am now starting on the latest, during the time my daughter buts it down. We both should be finished in a few days.
Evo, I have to agree with Integral. I didn't really have much desire to read them myself. I liked the movies and my last g/f urged me to read the books. The first one and the second one are almost entirely the same as the movies. The third is somewhat differant from the movie as the story line is becoming more mature and complex with the age of the characters and readers so there is more back story and more details that just wont fit in a movie. I probably wouldn't have been able to get through reading those three if it weren't for them being quick reads and the way that Rowling writes drew me in. After reading those three though I really wanted to read the rest so I went out and bought the next two books(the first three were loaned to me by my ex). Maybe I just have that need to finish a series when I start it but it really seemed to me that they get better with each installment. I'm hoping that this one continues that trend.
Evo
Jul17-05, 11:55 PM
Mentor
Ok, you both know how much I think of your opinions, (not to mention a couple of my favorite guys)

Oh, but you guys don't know the wonderful books I've read!!!

Have you read Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, Feist's books (even if it's only "Magician Apprentice") The Belgariad by Eddings, or "Daughter of the Empire" "Servant of the Empire" by Janny Wurtz, then you will understand what I am used to in a book on fantasy. Oh, if you only knew the worlds I have explored in these incredible books.

Have you read the books on Raistlin and the Kender?

The "Rift War Sagas". Have you read those? The places your imagination will be taken...

Have you read these and still think Harry Potter is on a similar level? (actually I bought two of the videos and they're in my closet, haven't had a chance to watch them yet)

Darn it! We need to get together and start a book club!!!

TSA...if you haven't read these yet, I'm willing to read them over again, so we could read them together. Would you have the time? Anyone else want to branch out into some good books?

Register to reply