Who is excited about tomorrow?

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excited
In summary, the conversation consisted of individuals discussing their excitement for the release of the new Harry Potter book and their various plans for obtaining it. Some mentioned cheaper options such as Costco or online purchases, while others shared their love for the series and their disappointment with the ending of the new book. One person also mentioned their upcoming trip to Canada for a conference.
Townsend
I cannot wait!

It should be at my door tomorrow afternoon...the anticipation is almost painful!

Physics news on Phys.org
lol its 12am and my copy ain't here! I WANT MIDNIGHT DELIVERY.

neurocomp2003 said:
lol its 12am and my copy ain't here! I WANT MIDNIGHT DELIVERY.
:rofl: :rofl:

Dude, get over yourself, its only Harry Potter.

dduardo said:

Sorry, I just feel like a kid... :tongue2:

I love Harry Potter!

Aww...I just know my copy has been shipped, but don't know exactly when it will arrive. I'm just happy that I know it will show up before I have to fly to Canada at the end of next week; I'm looking forward to reading it on the flight! :biggrin:

dduardo said:

Harry who?

ewwwwwwwwww, i have to go wash off all the geekiness that i got on me from this thread...

yourdadonapogostick said:
ewwwwwwwwww, i have to go wash off all the geekiness that i got on me from this thread...

me too! ewwwwwwww *chops off eyes*

Pengwuino said:
me too! ewwwwwwww *chops off eyes*

How the heck did you manage to chop off your eyes? Never mind...I don't want to know.

Does your screen print in Braille?

so you all reserved harry potter, even though they will have 1,000 copies at costco tomorrow for less than half the price of what you're all paying.

yomamma said:
so you all reserved harry potter, even though they will have 1,000 copies at costco tomorrow for less than half the price of what you're all paying.

I doubt it...but we will see tomorrow.

that's what happened to me when the last book came out.

yomamma said:
that's what happened to me when the last book came out.

Well, we will just have to see what happens.

Regards,

yomamma said:
Well, since Costco membership costs more than the book, I doubt it would turn out cheaper to buy it there. I order most of my books online anyway, and they just happened to be taking the pre-orders when I was ordering some other books, so now I don't have to wait in lines to get it (I ordered enough other stuff at the time that the shipping is free too). If I see it cheaper somewhere, well, I still have the convenience of it being brought to me instead of having to fight off a bunch of kids to get to it. After reading the other 5, I couldn't wait for the paperback version on this one. :biggrin:

(Hey, if Zz can have his Disney obsession, I can have my Harry Potter obsession!)

in vancouver, a local bookstore released 14 copies yesterday as a mistake by the staff. The buyers were given a court order not do disclose any of the information on the book, until it's release tomorrow.

the daily show claimed them "the least busy court in the world'. :biggrin:

yomamma said:
in vancouver, a local bookstore released 14 copies yesterday as a mistake by the staff. The buyers were given a court order not do disclose any of the information on the book, until it's release tomorrow.

the daily show claimed them "the least busy court in the world'. :biggrin:
:rofl: It was probably for their own protection. Nobody wants to hear from someone else what's in the book anyway! If anyone spoils the story for me before I read it, they should get the death penalty! :devil:

well the half blood prince is really harr- oh, you don't want me to spoil the ending...

online is a lot cheapers...its like 40-60 % off. i paid 24 CDN(?20US?)...i doubt costco can beat that price plus you get a rebate from Chapters that could be up to 1000$ ..thus i can by the Kandel Neurosci book that I've been wanting to get and teh ALife conference set and a physics book.

and as for being nerdy and stuff...look at the forum you participate in. Games are nerdy too. and so is reading in itself...so geez.

moonbear:you flying to Canada ? cool wher eyou going to. Mcmaster hospital?

neurocomp2003 said:
online is a lot cheapers...its like 40-60 % off. i paid 24 CDN(?20US?)...i doubt costco can beat that price plus you get a rebate from Chapters that could be up to 1000$ ..thus i can by the Kandel Neurosci book that I've been wanting to get and teh ALife conference set and a physics book.
I got it for $17.99 from Amazon, but I don't think it will arrive tomorrow unless they shipped it overnight, which I doubt they did.

moonbear:you flying to Canada ? cool wher eyou going to. Mcmaster hospital?

I have a conference in Quebec City. That's assuming I actually make all my flights (no direct flights, and I know they've been busily overbooking the flights there because the seats were already all assigned for several flights, yet they were still trying to sell me tickets for them :grumpy:). Stupid conference organizers pick the peak of tourist season. They kept sending out notices to book rooms and flights back in March, before they even had a program out yet! How could anyone book that early when we didn't even know the meeting schedule yet?

I kind of wish I had followed through the HP series.. I feel so left out having nothing to be exited about. :tongue:

i i did the conversion factor wrong...24.60CDN=18US as listed on amazon...hmm i thought cdn dollar was closer.

The ending is quite unexpected and sudden. I still can't believe what I just read.
In my opinion, the previous books were better.

yourdadonapogostick said:
Dude. Look where you are! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!??
siddharth said:
The ending is quite unexpected and sudden. I still can't believe what I just read.
In my opinion, the previous books were better.
Not a fan of twists?

im like the only one whos never read a hp book or seen any of the movies lmao. ill stick to starwars thanks

Smurf said:
Not a fan of twists?
Not this one.
My favorite character as well. :cry:
And what about the identity of the Half-Blood Prince? That was another twist few could have expected!

Moonbear said:
:rofl: It was probably for their own protection. Nobody wants to hear from someone else what's in the book anyway! If anyone spoils the story for me before I read it, they should get the death penalty! :devil:

Let me take a wild guess. Harry and his pals will be called to adventure. They'll be reluctant at first, but eventually take up the call, pass through some trials, perform supernatural feats, and triumph in the end. Along the way, Harry will learn about himself, develop new abilities or hone existing ones that he didn't realize he was so proficient in. There will be a surprise or two (most likely a central character turning out to be something other than what was first thought). All character and creature types will be borrowed from Tolkein and the plot will be borrowed from Joseph Campbell. Did that ruin it for you? It shouldn't, because every other Harry Potter book followed the exact same formula.

loseyourname said:
Let me take a wild guess. Harry and his pals will be called to adventure. They'll be reluctant at first, but eventually take up the call, pass through some trials, perform supernatural feats, and triumph in the end. Along the way, Harry will learn about himself, develop new abilities or hone existing ones that he didn't realize he was so proficient in. There will be a surprise or two (most likely a central character turning out to be something other than what was first thought). All character and creature types will be borrowed from Tolkein and the plot will be borrowed from Joseph Campbell. Did that ruin it for you? It shouldn't, because every other Harry Potter book followed the exact same formula.

Stop it, stop it! La la la la la la la la...*sticks fingers in ears*...I'm not listening! :rofl:

Okay, I'm laughing my butt off here watching all the kids lined up in costume for a book, and they're all the little geeky kids. Kid's nowadays! At least in my day, kids only dressed up in costume to wait in line to see movies. :rofl: Harry Potter will take the place of Star Wars for this next generation of geeks. :approve:

Take note I'm not quite as crazy as the rest of the folks around here. I pre-ordered online and can contentedly sit here waiting for my shipment. I'm not one of those nuts who pre-ordered at bookstores and spent the wee hours of the morning standing in a line with a number waiting to be called to get their book. What kind of parent let's their kid do that anyway? You show up at midnight and then stand in line until whenever they call your number? Okay, that's nuts...surely the book could have waited at least until morning.

I'm just happy because I have flights with long connections coming up, and a Harry Potter book is perfect for reading in airports.

Well, I am looking forward to reading the next book, although I wouldn't say I am 'excited'. Probably pick up a copy today.

IMO, the "Goblet of Fire" was probably the best, followed by "Prisoner of Azkaban".

Yes, the stories are remeniscent of the 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Star Wars' - good vs evil, the dark side vs the (positive) force. Nevertheless, the Harry Potter series is appealing - well at least to me anyway. :biggrin:

good vs. evil is a parallel used in, like, everything.. :smile:

Knavish said:
good vs. evil is a parallel used in, like, everything.. :smile:
Yeah - as loseyourname pointed out, Joseph Campbell has mentioned that. Temporally transcendent themes.

It all comes down to a matter of choice. One can choose to be good - or otherwise.

*********Spoiler**********

The new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor is: Horace Slughorn

*********Spoiler**********

Last night there was a news story about this. It was mentioned that the author has probably inspired more children to read than anyone in history.

Ivan Seeking said:
Last night there was a news story about this. It was mentioned that the author has probably inspired more children to read than anyone in history.

I would agree with that...I might even go so far as to say it for adults as well.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, that's one thing I think is wonderful about these books, something that inspires so many children (and adults) to read can't be bad! And these are some hefty books for children! I think back to the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mystery series that were so popular when I was young; it's the same sort of popularity where everyone is reading them, so it makes it more fun because the kids can all talk about the books too.

By the way, mine did show up with today's mail. :biggrin: Actually, that might not be a good thing. Now I'll be tempted to start reading as soon as all my household chores are done today (I'm really avoiding cracking it open until then, or else nothing will get done), and I won't have it to read on my flights to Canada! :grumpy: Darn, that means I'll be doing work on the plane, no good excuses not to do it. :tongue:

Well, I better get back to my chores, I have a book waiting for when I'm done. :tongue2: :biggrin: :smile:

(I should just note that I actually wasn't really jumping up and down with excitement when I saw it appear with the mail, just tempted to do so. I have certainly been looking forward to it since reading all the other books this winter, but haven't exactly been counting days until its arrival or anything quite that crazy).

Last edited: