Register to reply

Caught a raccoon in a cherry tree

by 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21
Tags: cherry, raccoon, tree
Share this thread:
Sep4-05, 08:00 PM
P: 166
I cought him in my cherry tree in the early morning hours as i was going to school. He looks kinda worried, and he should be, if he was eating cherries out of my tree!

Enjoy the pic!

(i hope it worked, i've never uploaded attachments before)
Attached Thumbnails
Coon crop.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
hypnagogue
Sep4-05, 09:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,265
Great photo. It almost looks like a stuffed animal.
hypatia
Sep4-05, 11:45 PM
P: 1,298
Hes sooooo sweet! Let him eat his fill, they taste better when they have fed on cherries!
I know a person who has one as a out door pet{most don't make good pets}, raised with dogs and one of the pack. She found it as a baby, and it became to humanised to be able to return to the wild. So the state gave her a permit to have it, after taking a few classes.

Ivan Seeking
Sep5-05, 12:00 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Caught a raccoon in a cherry tree

Very cool photo!
Sep5-05, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=hypatia]Let him eat his fill, they taste better when they have fed on cherries!
QUOTE]
Math Is Hard
Sep5-05, 08:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
That's so cute! My friends had an outdoor spa on their patio and it became a giant kitchen sink for the local raccoons. Every evening, Momma Raccoon and babies would line up around the hot tub and wash the veggies they'd collected for dinner!
Pengwuino
Sep5-05, 08:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Wow how did you take the pic? I've never had an animal around my house long enough to take a pic like that...
Sep5-05, 08:33 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Wow how did you take the pic? I've never had an animal around my house long enough to take a pic like that...
Alot of times animals "freeze", at least for a little while. For example, if i am walking and i see a deer, it will freeze (most of the time) and look at me, until i make a movement, or it winds me or whatever. The human eye is really good at seeing movement, and animals know that, it just so happens that that stop sometimes gives us a chance to take a shot (with a gun or a camera.)

And yes, that was a lucky shot. the sun was in a perfect spot and it was looking right at me. i wish i could let you see the whole picture, but the file was 3 times too big and i had to crop it.

Fibonacci
Moonbear
Sep5-05, 08:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Aww...reminds me of the one my grandparents trained. My grandmother used to put a little plate with marshmallows out on the porch and a teacup with water so the raccoon looked like it was sitting down for tea when it visited.

Oh, then there was the time a raccoon used to visit our porch and stole some live bait fish we had in a bucket after a day of fishing (we were going to freeze the leftovers). It was already Fall by then (must have been one of the last fishing trips of the year), and the pool was already closed up. Well, it seems the raccoons used the pool to wash their fish (we always kept a 2X4 hanging over the side and attached to a tree near the pool so squirrels could get back out when they fell in), and the following spring, when we opened the pool and started cleaning out leaves, we discovered two fish swimming in the pool! They didn't survive the chlorine shock treatment though. One year, we had ducks that kept visiting to swim in the pool.

Register to reply