Register to reply

Find values for which the limit exists...

by twoflower
Tags: exists, limit, values
Share this thread:
twoflower
Oct16-05, 07:50 AM
P: 368
Hi,
I'm given this problem:

Find conditions for variables a, b, c so that the limit

[tex]
\lim_{[x,y] \rightarrow [0,0]} \frac{xy}{ax^2 + bxy + cy^2}
[/tex]

exists.

What I have only found so far is that for all variables non-zero the limit doesn't exist. Anyway, I have no clue how to find the conditions for which it does. I tried a = b = c = 0, but it doesn't seem to help to me...

Thank you for the enlightenment.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Lisa!
Oct16-05, 08:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
OOps I was too late in deleting my post. Actually I made a mistake in solving that and yes, what makes me unsure is that I don't think we could use hopital rule for these kind of limit.
Lisa!
Oct16-05, 08:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
You'd better to ask another homework helper, but I solve it in another way now . If you look at numerator nad denominator, you see both of them have xy. So?

twoflower
Oct16-05, 02:45 PM
P: 368
Find values for which the limit exists...

Quote Quote by Lisa!
You'd better to ask another homework helper, but I solve it in another way now . If you look at numerator nad denominator, you see both of them have xy. So?
Ok, now it seems to me that the condition for the limit to exist is that a = c = 0.

Anyway, it is just the result of guessing method, is there any more exact approach to solve this?
HallsofIvy
Oct16-05, 03:13 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
For functions like this, where you have two variables, I find it best to convert to polar coordinates. That way, exactly one variable, r, measures the distance to (0,0) which is the crucial factor. In polar coordinates,
[itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so
[itex]xy= r^2 cos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/itex], [tex]x2= r^2 cos^2(\theta)[/itex], and [tex]y^2= r^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex].
Of course, then [itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= ar^2cos^2(\theta)+ br^2sin(
theta)cos(\theta)+ cr^2sin^2(\theta)[/itex] so that
[itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= r^2(acos^2(\theta)+ bsin(
theta)cos(\theta)+ csin^2(\theta)[/itex].

That means that
[tex]\frac{xy}{ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2}= \frac{sin(\theta)cos(\theta)}{acos^2(\theta)+ bsin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ csin^2(\theta)}[/tex].

Notice that there is no "r" in that! This can have a limit as r-> 0 only if it does NOT depend on [itex]\theta[/itex]- it is a constant. One obvious choice for a,b,c is a= c= 0, b= 1 but there may be others.

Register to reply