Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Limit
Integration
1701219971027.png

My attempt:
(a)
I don't think I completely understand the question. By "evaluate ##\lim_{n\to \infty f_n (x)}##", does the question ask in numerical value or in terms of ##x##?

As ##x## approaches 1 or -1, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches zero. As ##x## approaches zero, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches ##\frac{n+1}{2}## so if ##n \to \infty##, then ##f_n (0) \to \infty##.

There would be a certain value of ##x \in [-1,1]## where ##\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x)=\infty## so the limit does not exist.

Does it make any sense?(b)
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} f_n (x) dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{n+1}{2} (1-|x|)^n dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \int_{-1}^{1} (1-x)^n dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \left[-\frac{1}{n+1} (1-x)^{n+1}\right]^{1}_{-1} dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} (2)^n$$

The limit does not converge so it does not exist. Is this correct?

Thanks

Edit: wait, I realize my mistake for (b). I will revise it in post#2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(b)
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} f_n (x) dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^{0} (1+x)^n dx + \int_{0}^{1} (1-x)^n dx\right)$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{n+1}[(1+x)^{n+1}]_{-1}^{0} - \frac{1}{n+1} [(1-x)^{n+1}]_{0}^{1}\right)$$
$$=1$$

Have you seen some of the results/theorems regarding convergence of Integrals, like Monotone, Dominated Convergence, etc?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
(a)
I don't think I completely understand the question. By "evaluate ##\lim_{n\to \infty f_n (x)}##", does the question ask in numerical value or in terms of ##x##?
This is called the pointwise limit or pointwise convergence. For each ##x## you have a sequence ##f_n(x)## and you are asked to calculate the limit of this sequence.
songoku said:
As ##x## approaches 1 or -1, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches zero. As ##x## approaches zero, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches ##\frac{n+1}{2}## so if ##n \to \infty##, then ##f_n (0) \to \infty##.

There would be a certain value of ##x \in [-1,1]## where ##\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x)=\infty## so the limit does not exist.

Does it make any sense?
This is not quite right. What is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)##? And, for ##x \ne 0##, what is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)##?

songoku said:
(b)
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} f_n (x) dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^{0} (1+x)^n dx + \int_{0}^{1} (1-x)^n dx\right)$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{n+1}[(1+x)^{n+1}]_{-1}^{0} - \frac{1}{n+1} [(1-x)^{n+1}]_{0}^{1}\right)$$
$$=1$$
That's right, although you could have saved some work by noting that the function is even (symmetrical about the y-axis).

If you are wondering about the purpose of this question, you have a sequence of functions whose limit looks like the Dirac Delta function.

Likes songoku, SammyS and fresh_42
WWGD said:
Have you seen some of the results/theorems regarding convergence of Integrals, like Monotone, Dominated Convergence, etc?
I have not

PeroK said:
This is called the pointwise limit or pointwise convergence. For each ##x## you have a sequence ##f_n(x)## and you are asked to calculate the limit of this sequence.

This is not quite right. What is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)##? And, for ##x \ne 0##, what is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)##?
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} (1)^n=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \to \text{diverge}$$

For ##x \ne 0, \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)=0##

So:
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x) = f(x) =
\begin{cases}
\text{does not exist }&\text{if } x = 0 \\
0 & \text{if } x \neq 0, x \in [-1,1]
\end{cases}
$$

Is that correct? Thanks

songoku said:
I have not$$\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} (1)^n=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \to \text{diverge}$$

For ##x \ne 0, \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)=0##

So:
\begin{cases}
\end{cases}
$$

Is that correct? Thanks
Yes. If ##x\neq 0## then ##1-|x| = r\in [0,1)## and ##r^n ## goes faster to zero than ##n## goes to infinity.

The meaning of this exercise is that ##1= \lim \int \neq \int \lim =0.##

Pointwise convergence does in general not allow for exchange limits and integrals.

The theorem that grants the exchange requires ##|f_n|<h ## and ##\int h <\infty .##

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and songoku
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation WWGD, PeroK, fresh_42

Likes WWGD
songoku said:
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation WWGD, PeroK, fresh_42
P.S.: The phenomenon is called the vanishing mass at infinity. The "buckle" can vanish to the left or right, e.g. if you consider functions like ##g_n =\chi([0,1])-\chi([n,n+1])## where ##\chi ## is the indicator function (##=1## on the interval, and ##=0## elsewhere), or as in the case of the ##f_n## above to the top by getting larger and larger and slimmer and slimmer at the same time.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
So:
\begin{cases}
\end{cases}
$$

Is that correct? Thanks
I would say:
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x) =
\begin{cases}
+\infty&\text{if } x = 0 \\
\end{cases}
$$

Likes songoku

1. What is the limit of ##f_n (x)## as ##n## approaches infinity?

The limit of ##f_n (x)## as ##n## approaches infinity is denoted as ##\lim_{{n \to \infty}} f_n (x)##. This limit represents the behavior of the sequence of functions ##f_n (x)## as ##n## becomes infinitely large.

2. How is the limit of a sequence of functions related to pointwise convergence?

The limit of a sequence of functions ##f_n (x)## is said to converge pointwise to a function ##f(x)## if for every ##x## in the domain, the limit of ##f_n (x)## as ##n## approaches infinity is equal to ##f(x)##. This means that the sequence of functions converges to a specific function pointwise.

3. What is the difference between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence of a sequence of functions ##f_n (x)## to a function ##f(x)## means that for each ##x## in the domain, the limit of ##f_n (x)## as ##n## approaches infinity is equal to ##f(x)##. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, requires that the convergence is uniform across the entire domain, meaning that the rate of convergence is the same for all ##x##.

4. How is integration affected by the limit of a sequence of functions?

The integration of a sequence of functions ##f_n (x)## can be affected by the limit of the sequence. If the sequence converges to a function ##f(x)##, then the integral of the limit function may or may not be equal to the limit of the integrals of the individual functions in the sequence.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits and integrals of sequences of functions?

Common techniques for evaluating limits and integrals of sequences of functions include using properties of limits and integrals, applying theorems such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem or Dominated Convergence Theorem, and utilizing techniques like differentiation under the integral sign or uniform convergence to simplify calculations.