Magnet A Pulls Magnet B with 30N - How Much Force Does Magnet B Pull?

In summary, magnet A has twice the magnetic field strength of magnet B at a certain distance and pulls on magnet B with a force of 30N. According to Newton's Law of Action and Reaction, magnet B will also pull on magnet A with a force of 30N. This is because the strength of a magnet's pull is directly proportional to its magnetic field strength. Therefore, the force with which magnet B pulls on magnet A is also 30N.
aneima6
Magnet A has twice the magnetic field strength of magnet B (at equal distance) at a certain distance and pulls on the magnet B with a force of 30N. Determine the force with which magnet B pulls magnet A.
Could someone help me. I'm just starting physics in hs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any reason to believe the forces will be different - i.e. Newton's law of action reaction does not apply?

thats probably correct. this is a basic question. i think it is getting at coulombs law.

i think the answer is 15N. not sure

If you're talking about magnets you're probably not dealing with Coulomb's law.

So, why do you think the answer is 15 N?

well I'm not exactly sure. I'm looking in the chapter of magnetism in my book and i don't see any forumla's. its weird. i went back a chapter and found coulombs which deals with force=(k)(q1q2)/d^2.

i wasn't sure if it was right or now. if you could help me on a formula i could try and solve it. thanks

jeff

i think because magnet a is twice as strong, that magnet b is half of its strength.

also i forgot a few parts of the question that might help

it has twice the magnetic field strength.

Last edited:
I have no idea what equations your textbook shows but if you have none relating the pulling force of a magnet that should be a clue for you!

Remember Newton's Law that I mentioned earlier and think about this: If a magnet is twice as strong then not only it will it pull another with twice the force it will also be pulled with twice the force!

so the answer is that since they are an equal distance away. that the force that a acts upon b is the same force that b acts upon a.

answer 30N?

1. How is the force between the two magnets determined?

The force between the two magnets is determined by the strength of their magnetic fields and the distance between them. The closer the magnets are, the stronger the force will be.

2. Does the size of the magnets affect the force?

Yes, the size of the magnets does affect the force. Generally, larger magnets will have a stronger magnetic field and therefore a stronger force between them. However, the distance between the magnets also plays a role in determining the force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the force between the two magnets?

The unit of measurement for the force between two magnets is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for measuring force.

4. Can the force between the two magnets be increased or decreased?

Yes, the force between two magnets can be increased or decreased. As mentioned before, the distance between the magnets plays a role in determining the force. The force can also be affected by the strength of the magnetic fields, which can be altered by changing the materials or strength of the magnets.

5. Does the orientation of the magnets affect the force?

Yes, the orientation of the magnets can affect the force between them. If the magnets are aligned in the same direction, the force will be stronger. But if they are aligned in opposite directions, the force will be weaker or may even repel each other.