Electromagnetism question -- Forces between two current carrying wires

In summary: The magnetic field from one wire interacts with the moving electrons in the other wire to cause the force (attractive or repulsive) between the wires.
cutielollipop
Homework Statement
State whether the magnetic fields around each wire are clockwise or counter-clockwise. Will the wires repel or attract each other
Relevant Equations
right-hand rule
1690224567563.png

Here is the question. I just wanted to confirm and see if I'm understanding the question clearly. For 3a) I said the first wire would have the magnetic field going in a counter clock wise direction and the second wire would have a magnetic field going in a clockwise direction using the right hand rule. However I don't know if the wires will repel or attract each other. I think they will repel since the magnetic fields are in opposite directions. Help would be kindly appreciated.

For b) I said there would be an upward force on the wire.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct about the B-field directions for the wires. For the forces, have you learned the vector Lorentz Force yet? That's the easiest way to develop the intuition about the resulting forces between current carrying wires. :smile:

I learned about Lenz's Law if that's what you mean. But I don't know about the vector Lorentz Force.

1690225425318.png

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html

The magnetic field from one wire interacts with the moving electrons in the other wire to cause the force (attractive or repulsive) between the wires.

Edit -- Remember that the charge ##q## of an electron is negative, since that affects the direction of the Lorentz Force on the moving charge. :smile:

I find it easiest to visualise the behaviour, which I do by thinking of the field lines as trying to broaden, repelling their neighbours, and to shrink in length.
If both sets are clockwise, they will cancel in the middle and the two sets connect up. You end up with a single set of field lines clockwise around both. Their shrinking in length will pull the wires together.
If one set is clockwise and the other anticlockwise they will be parallel and in the same direction in the middle. Broadening them pushes the wires apart.

berkeman said:
Edit -- Remember that the charge q of an electron is negative, since that affects the direction of the Lorentz Force on the moving charge. :smile:
With respect, this is an inopportune moment to worry about this. Positive currents and fictitious positive carriers get you where you want to go IMHO.

Also if you have two wires do not use your left hand for one and your right hand for the other. Do not inquire as to why I mention this.

hutchphd said:
With respect, this is an inopportune moment to worry about this. Positive currents and fictitious positive carriers get you where you want to go IMHO.
But, but, my brain doesn't work that way. Makes me dizzy to try to do that... o0)

hutchphd said:
Also if you have two wires do not use your left hand for one and your right hand for the other. Do not inquire as to why I mention this.
:oldlaugh:

haruspex said:
I find it easiest to visualise the behaviour, which I do by thinking of the field lines as trying to broaden, repelling their neighbours, and to shrink in length.
If both sets are clockwise, they will cancel in the middle and the two sets connect up. You end up with a single set of field lines clockwise around both. Their shrinking in length will pull the wires together.
If one set is clockwise and the other anticlockwise they will be parallel and in the same direction in the middle. Broadening them pushes the wires apart.
I have already memorized "same sign charges repel, opposite sign charges attract." If I want to bypass the right hand rule and ##~\mathbf{F}=I\mathbf{L}\times\mathbf{B}~##, I find it easier to memorize and use the rule "parallel currents do the opposite from charges, same direction attract, opposite direction repel."

I have seen students during tests writing with their right hand while using their left hand to figure out magnetic field directions, presumably to save time. Left-handed students have a definite advantage here.

Last edited:
Likes Pushoam

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the electromagnetic force, which is a fundamental force that governs the interactions between electrically charged particles. It encompasses the study of electric fields, magnetic fields, and their interactions with each other.

How do two current carrying wires interact?

Two current carrying wires interact through the electromagnetic force. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. If another wire with a current flowing through it is placed near the first wire, the magnetic field of the first wire will exert a force on the second wire, causing them to either attract or repel each other depending on the direction of the currents.

What factors affect the strength of the force between two current carrying wires?

The strength of the force between two current carrying wires depends on several factors, including the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the currents flowing through the wires, and the angle between the wires. The force also depends on the magnetic permeability of the materials surrounding the wires.

Can the force between two current carrying wires be attractive?

Yes, the force between two current carrying wires can be either attractive or repulsive. It depends on the direction of the currents in the wires. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the wires will experience a repulsive force.

What are some real-world applications of the forces between two current carrying wires?

The forces between two current carrying wires have many practical applications. They are used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as welding and metal sorting. Understanding these forces is crucial in designing and optimizing these technologies.