Diverging Series: Proving Logarithmic Divergence with Real x

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that the series SUM n=2 to infinity of 1/(log n)^x diverges for any real x. The individual tries to use a test to prove it, but is reminded that this approach is not always valid. Instead, it is suggested to show that the limit of the argument of the series is not 0 for all x in R. The individual then tries to use the ratio test and eventually concludes that the limit is 2, proving that the series diverges. However, the other individual points out that this is not a correct approach and suggests trying a different method. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the suggestion to approach the problem in a more instructive way rather than
happyg1
Hello, I'm working on this problem:
Prove that for any real x, the series SUM n=2 to infinity of 1/(log n)^x diverges.

So far, I have applied the test that says that if SUM 2^n*a_2n converges then the series converges. I got:

1/log2*SUM 2^n/n^x I know that 1/n^x converges if x>1, but 2^n will explode, so I'd have convergent (sometimes) times divergent = divergent. Can I do that?

Thanks,
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not a propery of series. A counter exemple is

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

In this case, we have divergent times convergeant = convergeant.

What you can do to prove the desired result however, is simply show that for all x in R, the limit as n-->infty of the argument of the serie is not 0. Hence it does not converges, hence it diverges. (You'll have to do the 3 separate cases x<0, x=0 and x>0 [the later being the most difficult]).

I tried it using the ratio test. I got
[tex]\2(\frac{n}{n+1})^x[\tex]
and the limit of that is 2>1 so it diverges.
can I do it that way?
CC

let me try again...I'm still learning latex...
[tex]\mbox{2}(\frac{n}{n+1})^x[/tex]
there. And the limit of THAT is 2.
Is this correct?

happyg1 said:
let me try again...I'm still learning latex...
[tex]\mbox{2}(\frac{n}{n+1})^x[/tex]
there. And the limit of THAT is 2.
Is this correct?
Yes.
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} 2 \left( \frac{n}{n+1}\right)^x=2[/itex]

But
[tex] \frac{(\log n)^x}{(\log n+1)^x} \neq 2 \left( \frac{n}{n+1}\right)^x [/tex]

Last edited:
You should do it my way. It's much more instructive then mechanically using a test anyway.

1. What is a diverging series?

A diverging series is a mathematical series in which the terms increase indefinitely and the sum of the series approaches infinity. This means that the series does not have a finite sum and does not converge to a specific value.

2. How is logarithmic divergence proven with real x?

Logarithmic divergence is proven by using the limit comparison test. This involves comparing the given series with a known divergent series that has a similar growth rate, such as the harmonic series. If the limit of the ratio between the two series is a non-zero number, then the given series also diverges.

3. What is the importance of proving logarithmic divergence?

Proving logarithmic divergence is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of certain series and determine whether or not they have a finite sum. It also allows us to classify series as convergent or divergent, which is essential in various mathematical applications.

4. Can logarithmic divergence occur with complex numbers?

Yes, logarithmic divergence can occur with complex numbers. However, the proof for logarithmic divergence with complex numbers is more complex and involves using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the concept of analytic functions.

5. How is the concept of divergence related to real analysis?

The concept of divergence is an important component of real analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of real numbers and functions. In real analysis, we use divergence to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series and sequences, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.