Recent content by bhobba

  1. bhobba

    Graduate How and when to know if eigenvalue of H is energy?

    It's chapter 3. It's based on the classical POR, specifically that the probabilities are frame-independent (it breaks down relativistically). Thanks Bill
  2. bhobba

    Just want some guidance for my career😅

    Can you let us know where you live? I know Australia well, the US fairly well, and have an OK knowledge of the UK. In Australia, we now have actual degrees in Quantum Physics eg: https://www.uts.edu.au/courses/bachelor-of-advanced-science-physics-and-quantum-technology Personally, though, I...
  3. bhobba

    Undergrad What is the Difference between Maths and Classical Mechanics?

    One issue rhat confuses some is what is called specialist math here in Australia included a significant amount of classical mechanics when I did it way back when. I suppose one could call it mathematical physics. These days it is one of a number of choices that can be taught at the teachers...
  4. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    My bad for implying that's the only possible definition. Thanks Bill
  5. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    Well, if you use the number operator, you get the number of particles, but they aren't products of single particles. Thanks Bill
  6. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    I think asking why is always valuable. The answer may be that, at least for me, formalism alone is fine. Thanks Bill
  7. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    I would add that it's a mathematical model. You can try to understand why the model works or just use it. I suppose it's a matter of taste; if thinking of it as an interpretation and saying, I have a model is enough for me. You do need to know what its parts correspond to. Thanks Bill
  8. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    Some may view it as an interpretation itself. Ensemble, for example, in some sense, is just to shut up and calculate using the frequentist interpretation of probability. In fact, John Baez thinks a lot of interpretations are basically a rehash of the meaning of probability...
  9. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    The following suggests it may not be an interpretation, but a different theory: https://www.amazon.com.au/Beyond-Quantum-Origin-Meaning-Mechanics/dp/0198853742 Thanks Bill
  10. bhobba

    Graduate How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

    To be specific, operator-defined distributions as per the Wightman axioms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wightman_axioms What do you mean physically? What are classical fields physically other than something required to circumvent Wigner's No-Interaction Theorem? We only know how to model...
  11. bhobba

    Undergrad A deep discrepancy between the classical and quantum models of ##L##

    Actually, as far as we can tell today, it is there is no separation between particles and fields. Everything is an excitation of quantum fields that permeate the universe, and they follow unintuitive, mathematically sophisticated rules. Ordinary non-relativistic QM, from a mathematical...
  12. bhobba

    Undergrad A deep discrepancy between the classical and quantum models of ##L##

    You need to go to Quantum Field Theory for an intuitive understanding of that. Everything is an excitation of quantum fields that permeate the universe. The excited fields of one system can occupy the same space as those of a different excitation of the same or different fields. Thanks Bill
  13. bhobba

    High School Double slit experiment - sensor interacts with photons?

    It means within experimental error it has no well defined size. As an excitation in a quantum field it can be spread out like a wave or just at a point. Thanks Bill
  14. bhobba

    Job Skills Career guidance for a very lost Physics PhD student?

    Before I retired, I was transitioning to managing our data warehouse. Even back then, things were moving away from coding. Now Data Science is the big thing, but that too is threatened - AI is on the ascendancy. Thats what I would look at for a graduate certificate in, e.g...
  15. bhobba

    Job Skills Career guidance for a very lost Physics PhD student?

    When I worked as a programmer, our CIO had a PhD in physics. Here is how he got the job. He started a graduate diploma in computing (normally takes a year, but he got a few exemptions and started applying for jobs while still studying - they required significant progress towards a...