PF Photography: Tips, Tricks, & Photo Sharing

In summary, PF Photography offers valuable tips and tricks for improving photography skills and techniques. They also provide a platform for photo sharing, allowing photographers to showcase their work and receive feedback from others in the community. From beginner tips to advanced techniques, PF Photography has something for every level of photographer. Additionally, their photo sharing feature encourages collaboration and growth among photographers. With a focus on education and community, PF Photography is a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their photography skills and connect with other photographers.
Pretty talented at age 18 - he earned his way into that school.

Physics news on Phys.org
True

Anyway, I browsed some old files and had forgotten about this capture of the dew in the cold morning

2s9p0cg.jpg

I have been waiting for the Canon 100mm macro to come off back-order. Canon has made no announcements, but it is funny that such a popular lens should be out of production for such a long time. That's got me thinking...is Canon re-designing that lens with Image Stabilization? It would be a really great move on their part.

Until that happens, maybe I should be happy with what I've got. I shot these today..the first one with the 28-135 at 135mm and the second with the 100-400 at 400mm. I used the on-board flash for the first, and natural lighting for the second.
cicada-1.jpg

cicada400mm.jpg

Last edited:
I started digging around, and this site has a Canon press release that claims that Canon's new hybrid IS system is a perfect match for macro lenses, in which high magnification also magnifies the blurring effects of shake and tilt. That would explain why the 100mm macro has been unavailable for months. My fear is that a new 100mm macro IS will also carry a red band (L designation) and jump several hundred dollars in price. Grrr!

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Link is not working - I mean, it displays only generic CanonRumors logo. Probably protection against hotlinking.

Borek said:
Link is not working - I mean, it displays only generic CanonRumors logo. Probably protection against hotlinking.
Oops! It showed for me after I checked the link, but that was because I had the image in my cache. It's a picture of a 100mm macro USM IS, with a red band, so it's been upgraded to L-series.

So here's your lens Turbo, officially announced: 100m f2.8 L with iS

But good news for your wallet:
The Canon EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM macro will supplement, rather than replace the existing 100mm F2.8 USM macro

Now all you need to do is convince yourself not to buy the nicer version. Good luck!

Canon have also announced the Eos 7D. This looks like a nice camera! The same size sensor as the 40d, 450d etc but with some of the perks of the 5d and its ilk.

I wonder if 7D CFx settings allow to remember - for example - +/-1 Tv bracketing with continuous shooting. This is a setting that I use now and then when it is hard to decide what exposition will be the best, but setting it requires a lot of tinkering; having it as an easily accessible preset would be a perfect solution.

matthyaouw said:
So here's your lens Turbo, officially announced: 100m f2.8 L with iS

But good news for your wallet:

Now all you need to do is convince yourself not to buy the nicer version. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NEGTSI/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anybody interested in a Canon EF 100mm Macro USM non IS? Barely used, well about 700 shots, I think. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, spent sometimes in the modest dutch forest and heather fields today to shoot ~200 pictures. I named this picture wow-heath.

ve0new.jpg

The species is Erica tetralix, but this specimen was the only one covered with those thick sticky water like bubbles.

Wow.

It was way too late for dew, I see that the leaves also possesses sticky, adhesive glands but this is weird.

Last edited:
Andre said:
Anyway, spent sometimes in the modest dutch forest and heath fields today to shoot ~200 pictures. I named this picture wow-heath.

The species is Erica tetralix, but this specimen was the only one covered with those thick sticky water like bubbles.

Wow.

It was way too late for dew, I see that the leaves also possesses sticky, adhesive glands but this is weird.
Any bugs caught in the sticky stuff? Around here, we have little plants called "sundews" that often live in nutrient-poor places like on rotting wood. They have sticky stuff on their leaves that looks tempting to insects. Bugs get stuck in the goo, and as they struggle to escape, the leaf folds around the bug, and as the bud dies, the plant absorbs its nutrients.

We have sundew as well, but no bugs here and lots of these flowers without the sticky stuff. It was close to this tree

35arbiw.jpg

Notice the boxes in the centre at the back. If you get real close it loox like this:

ohu5j9.jpg

Andre said:
We have sundew as well, but no bugs here and lots of these flowers without the sticky stuff. It was close to this tree

35arbiw.jpg

Notice the boxes in the centre at the back. If you get real close it loox like this:

ohu5j9.jpg

Ah, very nice...I bet it's a wonderful place for a bear to go on a long explore :smile:.

Andre said:
Anyway, spent sometimes in the modest dutch forest and heather fields today to shoot ~200 pictures. I named this picture wow-heath.

ve0new.jpg

Wow.

wonderful photo, was it cold when you took it?

edit: I just note the two lines beneath the photo, I thought it was dew … amazing

Last edited:
drizzle said:
wonderful photo, was it cold when you took it?

Actually no, it was around 70F maybe around 10:30 AM, so certainly no dew and as said it was sticky. Moreover this was the only one I saw that way, others looked like this:

im6ie1.jpg

lisab said:
Ah, very nice...I bet it's a wonderful place for a bear to go on a long explore :smile:.

Absolutely Lisa, and no need for balloons and dangerous expotitions. :biggrin:

vtech-read-n-learn-story-teller-winnie-the-pooh-and-the-honey-tree.jpg

Anyway, the more common heather kind on those pictures is Calluna vulgaris, which looks like this, when getting close with the macro lens:

28qu99w.jpg

I suppose you are playing with your new lens :smile: All nice pictures.

This plant is quite rare in Poland, obviously it prefers to be close to Atlantic.

Behind that flowering heather, this wild scotch pine Pinus sylvestris captured a Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia):

105r1q9.jpg

A detailed look on its Rowan pomes ("berries")

25p3h40.jpg

It was rather windy and it was real tough to get that tack sharp.

Borek said:
I suppose you are playing with your new lens :smile: All nice pictures.

This plant is quite rare in Poland, obviously it prefers to be close to Atlantic.

Thanks, yes every now and then, one has to go out and enjoy nature, trying to capture it in pictures.

Also heather fields like these are rather common here. Image google for instance "heide"

Another picture I made yesterday:

2hoac1w.jpg

This little fellow just passed by and I just had to capture him on the sensor

119zext.jpg

(crop on 75%)

Unfortunately, he insisted on sitting on the fence, instead of one the flowers I offered him.

Full frame at 20% and rotated 90 degrees; as he always sits heads up.

2u6mpab.jpg

Ok, I know - this is stupid. Today I have seen a smiling face in a kitchen sink.

smile_in_sink.jpg

If you wonder if I should not consult a GP - yes I should, I am cold, I am sneezing, I am coughing, obviously my brain plays tricks on me.

Our middle child (Max) is working on a project on "camouflage" this weekend. It was suggested that children find animals in their backyards, but we live in a city condo and don't have a backyard. Since my mother was also in town (visiting to see the new baby), we decided to entertain her by taking a roadtrip to the Biltmore (Vanderbilt) estate... and using the Biltmore gardens as "our backyard" (even though we were still finding a few insects in our neighborhood park).

Max used our old camera, and I used my new one. Here are a few of my favorite pictures (all at 25% original). I should have also tried out my zoom lens... but so much to haul, since I was also carrying little Ellie in her Snugglie and her diaper bag! I COULD have also probably gotten some better shots if kneeling wasn't so hard to do... but these were fun. These first two are from my camera (though Max pointed out the bugs):

9_19_2009_026_ds.JPG

9_19_2009_030_ds.JPG

This last one (the frog) Max did when we sent him to the ponds alone... my mom was tired, Ellie needed to nurse, and Patrick was getting bored (since most of the gardens sadly isn't wheelchair accessible) so we just sat down in a comfy spot:
Max%27s%20camera%20114_ds.JPG

Nice work PGP,

So it's dew drop season here. Found this one this morning

okbm0j.jpg

the crop is on 100%! Okay I did some creative RAW processing, a tad sharpening, some contrast enhancement. 20% luminance noise reduction, 55% chrominance noise reduction.

This is the unprocessed JPG output:

288tkb5.jpg

The full frame on 20%

2cpf5t4.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why I always forget to look in this thread. Lovely photos!

Andre said:
Nice work PGP,

So it's dew drop season here. Found this one this morning

okbm0j.jpg

Wow, that's really awesome :smile:.

Inspired by Andre's nice hiking photos from Germany, I have ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. Now that I spend a lot of my time with the "Velcro Dog", it's tougher to break out the DSLRs, lenses, etc, except in controlled environments. I see lots of interesting stuff when Duke and I are out walking, visiting, etc, so it's time for a quality pocket-camera with a lot more "oomph" than my old Olumpus 3040.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of manual settings, since I intend for this to be used as a point-and-shoot camera and value portability for this application. I also ordered a 16G memory card in anticipation of taking advantage of the camera's dedicated "movie mode" button. See some interesting action unfolding? Shoot it in HD.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. These Lumix compacts are quite tiny but the Leica lenses are great. I can't wait. 3" LCD, 10 megapixel images from a 12 mp sensor, in-camera distortion control, 12x optical zoom. I have no excuse not to carry this when hiking, hunting, etc, and I have all kinds of reasons for leaving the big Pelican case, 30Ds, lenses, etc at home in some situations.

Last edited:
Love that forest shot Andre. The light is great, and the composition not really cluttered, as it often looks in forests

6092_128757347428_766592428_3086180.jpg

My sister and her friend exploring the roof of a mall.

caristeenaa said:
6092_128757347428_766592428_3086180.jpg

My sister and her friend exploring the roof of a mall.

QUICK! Somebody call OSHA!

tyroman said:
QUICK! Somebody call OSHA!

Lol, that's along the lines of what I thought too :smile:.

lisab said:
Lol, that's along the lines of what I thought too :smile:.

Sorry guys, OSHA wouldn't be much help here. This was in Thailand. :wink:

So this morning was the ultimate dew opportunity, after a day of raining warm water, the cold front moved in. The cooling caused large fog patches that finally burned off in the sun light.

This is what that does to grass:

f28r2f.jpg

It's the full picture reduced to 20% size, overexposed one stop, and then tweaked back to get rid of the noise.

Some 100% sized crops all from that shot:

fxgpbb.jpg

5558d2.jpg

2vn2j2p.jpg

Likes 1 person
Another one, crop on 40% size, right against the sun

23vdi8k.jpg

Likes 1 person