Photographing in Rainy South France: Mas d'Azil Cave

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Greetings
In summary, the gutter is full of rain, Andorra looks normal, the Arize is wilder than usual, the sun sets, and someone needs to reframe the conversation.
Andre
So what can you photograph if it rains cats and dogs, in South France

The gutter

20i9e06.jpg

But then the air is clearing

25048rq.jpg

The Arize is a lot wilder than usual as it enters the cave of Mas d'Azil

21alqj8.jpg

obviously also at the exit.

6ftu9e.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
We also passed the cross way with 12 little chapels that I used as Landmark

2r3yydt.jpg

And then the sun sets

b84awm.jpg

Andre said:
6ftu9e.jpg

Wow, just as bolted blood in one's heart once it sense the anguish of love... Someone please refraiz it. :biggrin:

As usual Andre, great pix :)

As always, it looks very nice :smile:.

Thanks, Drizzle and Lisa. Some more then

Yesterday we visited the land of the ntenae people, Andorra. But they all looked like normal, somehow. But -not unexpectedly- a lot of snow:

95y5fl.jpg

Enroute, you pass Ax Les Thermes with its hot spring. It's still a bit autumn there:

350l54h.jpg

Dawn, this morning:

2d0do9h.jpg

and eventually as the sun rises, the valley gets the first sun rays:

2qxm9fl.jpg

Excellent photos Andre. I wish I were there. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Andre. You have a great eye. It's nice to have the location and environment, but it's essential to "see" the best shots and take them.

Thanks, Don and Turbo, still more in the pipeline to come.

Absolutely beautiful Andre! Thanks for sharing!

Andy Resnick said:
Jealous = me.
+me me me

Great place, great pictures.

Thanks, Evo, Edward, Borek

And now, today I made the pic finally, which I had in mind when I bought this camera, a flying dragonfly. One of the most challenging ever.

I have seen more flying dragon flies and certainly in better quality, but I never have seen anything like this before:

20v0qpk.jpg

See what I mean?

It looks so helicopterish...

Borek said:
It looks so helicopterish...
Igor Sikorsky would be proud!

yes sure, but there is still something very odd, that I was completely unaware of.

Maybe it helps to imagine a 3D picture -using the fish in the pond-, when I show the whole uncropped frame (15% size). Also, I shot horizontal tilting down maybe some 10-20 degrees

20oxp4.jpg

What is so odd?

How come it is in focus? You were hunting the dragonfly, or taking pictures of the pond?

Isn't that an amazing feature of the 7D, obviously I was hunting/tracking him and this particular shot was in tracking/predicted focus and re-focus delay as he is clearly outside the focus array.

Hint: look carefully at the head and body co-ordination.

I think I know what you mean - head is still parallel to the horizon. At least it looks this way.

Exactly, while the body is banked/tilted some 60+ degrees to the left for a quick agile turn, the head remains horizontal,

Amazing.

Anyway, back home for a week already but I simply have to share some more, especially the sunrise

o8gq42.jpg

Ok I will get rid of the phone line, would be a shame not to:

35mkxgz.jpg

This one needs some cropping away distractions, eventually

n5iz9t.jpg

This one is entered in a contest under the title: "View on Bridgton, Maine, from the grocery store"

vmvioi.jpg

and there are dozens more.

Last edited:
Wow :!) the fog gives such an ethereal look...those pix look like paintings!

Amazing pictures! The first reminds me of the view from the upstairs bedroom at my grandmother's in the French Alps. The fog was so thick that it looked like a wall moving in across the valley below. There were three very tall trees and after the fog covered the Valley, these three tree giants loomed above the fog like the creatures in LOTR. We'd really give ourselves a scare.

Great moment. Unfortunately, the only way I can take pictures of the rising sun is when I am still awake. Getting up in the morning is something I never fully mastered. Just like going to bed in the evening - I can always stay awake for a moment longer.

Andre said:
Anyway, back home for a week already but I simply have to share some more, especially the sunrise

Really excellent!

Thanks all, those show why I love to be there. Obviously I try to never miss a good sunrise, it's so unique. So combined with the bonfire sessions deep into the night, who is talking sleep?

1. What is the best time of day to photograph in Mas d'Azil Cave during rainy weather?

The best time of day to photograph in Mas d'Azil Cave during rainy weather is in the morning or late afternoon. This is when the natural light will be the most dramatic and the cave formations will be highlighted by the rainwater.

2. What type of camera equipment is recommended for photographing in a cave during rainy weather?

It is recommended to use a DSLR camera with a wide-angle lens and a waterproof cover to protect the camera from any water damage. A tripod and a remote shutter release can also be helpful for capturing long exposure shots in low light conditions.

3. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind while photographing in a cave during rainy weather?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and to have a guide or someone familiar with the cave accompany you. The ground can be slippery and the rain can make it difficult to see, so it is important to take caution and stay on designated paths.

4. How can I capture the unique lighting and reflections in the cave during rainy weather?

To capture the unique lighting and reflections in the cave during rainy weather, use a slower shutter speed and a lower ISO to allow for more light to enter the camera. This will help capture the movement of the rainwater and the reflections on the cave walls.

5. Are there any specific techniques for photographing cave formations in rainy weather?

To capture the intricate details and textures of the cave formations in rainy weather, try using a macro lens or getting up close to the formations. You can also experiment with different angles and perspectives to capture the formations in a unique way.