Does This Shirt Make Me Look Like A Geek?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary: Don't wear it until we have a PF get-together. You'll be the first person I'll want to talk to. :biggrin:In summary, this shirt makes anyone look like a geek, and the person who wears it is sure to be the center of attention.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I've seen various shirts with physics and math written all over them. The most common one is the shirt with all the Maxwell equations written and "... and there was light". I never had the desire to own such shirts before... till now.

During my trip to the Kennedy Space Center this past December, I came across this t-shirt that made me laughed. Plus, it was also on sale. So I couldn't resist.

IMG_7815.jpg

A close-up of the equations (which are badly formatted, I must admit):
IMG_7817.jpg

The back has the explanation of what the equations describe:
IMG_7816.jpg

I haven't worn this yet, but I'm sure I'll look like a total geek when I do.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like it. Wear it with pride!

Cool t-shirt and its still available:

http://www.thespaceshop.com/itonroscash.html

Nice T-Shirt. but If equations are written in LaTeX and fonts are other as Times New Roman then it becomes great.
I know about this T-Shirt in your blog firstly.Front face with Equations and back has explanations.

I've got (or used to have) dozens of those. I've given most of them away.

These shirts started back in the 1980s at Johnson Space Center with the Mission Control team that rode the BP MS 150. Selling those "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!" T-shirts was how they raised funds for the ride. One year they printed too many and sold the extras to the gift shop. The JSC gift shop (and now apparently others) have been selling them like hotcakes ever since.

ZapperZ said:
Definitely, yes.

That doesn't mean you can't wear it with pride :biggrin:

23icufs.png

Awesome Tee :D and useful

Lisab, that should be a T-shirt!

Actually that shirt wouldn't make you look like a geek. If you want to look like a geek, wear a tapout shirt.
Awesome Tee :D and useful
That one word "useful" gave me an idea of making a t-shirt for each of my classes with lots of formulas and stuff on it to use during tests.

You WILL look like a geek if some other geek convinces you to turn back-to-front over and over to match the equations with the explanations. Comes with the territory. :tongue:

and when people ask about the shirt you can say with pride I understand every one of them and if they persist and say: "Oh yeah How about this one?" You can reply its all geek to me.

Better get permission from the wife before you wear it. You are going to be a chick magnet in that shirt!

Love it!

ZapperZ said:
I've seen various shirts with physics and math written all over them. The most common one is the shirt with all the Maxwell equations written and "... and there was light". I never had the desire to own such shirts before... till now.

During my trip to the Kennedy Space Center this past December, I came across this t-shirt that made me laughed. Plus, it was also on sale. So I couldn't resist.

IMG_7815.jpg

I haven't worn this yet, but I'm sure I'll look like a total geek when I do.

Zz.

That's you. Don't wear it until we have a PF get-together. You'll be the first person I'll want to talk to. :biggrin:

Unequivocally, yes...

If anyone thinks you look like a geek, just tell them to pay attention to line 10.

I picked up a similar shirt, though not as cool (it only had escape velocity on it), at JSC while attending a conference.

I've also got one of the "Why yes, I *am* a rocket scientist." shirts. :biggrin:

jhae2.718 said:
I've also got one of the "Why yes, I *am* a rocket scientist." shirts. :biggrin:

I've got one that say's "As a matter of fact, I am a brain surgeon," even though I'm not a surgeon. I probably know more about the brain than most surgeons though.

ZapperZ said:
During my trip to the Kennedy Space Center this past December

I was also there this past December, family went to Florida for Christmas. Seeing the Saturn V was definitely a high point in my life. Such an amazing feat of human engineering.

KrisOhn said:
I was also there this past December, family went to Florida for Christmas. Seeing the Saturn V was definitely a high point in my life. Such an amazing feat of human engineering.

Rocket Park at JSC is pretty neat if you're in the area.

DiracPool said:
I've got one that say's "As a matter of fact, I am a brain surgeon," even though I'm not a surgeon. I probably know more about the brain than most surgeons though.

Ah, you see, now you've forced my hand:
THNPmhBl-8I[/youtube]

jhae2.718 said:

THNPmhBl-8I[/youtube][/QUOTE] Thats great!

jhae2.718 said:

OMG, that is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I even look exactly like that guy, well maybe ten years ago, and I was just a cocky. Didn't dress that sharp, though, I wish I would have, looking back.

I had a friend once who was an MAA champion in HS and he went to some campus frat party where this college dude was talking upperclass undergrad math to some people like he really knew it well until my friend stepped and started discussing it with him and totally demolished the guy and his argument.

My friend had completed all of HS math by 8th grade in a time before AP and IB courses and was sent to the local college to continue his math studies paid for by the school district.

jhae2.718 said:

Oh yes, that was pretty awesome, but the Saturn V is what really floored me. I've always been a big fan of the space programs and aerospace engineering. Knowing just what the Saturn V represents when it comes to human accomplishment while seeing one in real life was pretty overwhelming.

KrisOhn said:
Oh yes, that was pretty awesome, but the Saturn V is what really floored me. I've always been a big fan of the space programs and aerospace engineering. Knowing just what the Saturn V represents when it comes to human accomplishment while seeing one in real life was pretty overwhelming.

Yep.

jedishrfu said:
I had a friend once who was an MAA champion in HS and he went to some campus frat party where this college dude was talking upperclass undergrad math to some people like he really knew it well until my friend stepped and started discussing it with him and totally demolished the guy and his argument.

My friend had completed all of HS math by 8th grade in a time before AP and IB courses and was sent to the local college to continue his math studies paid for by the school district.

Fortunately, I've been so obsessed over how the brain works I've never been stumped in a personal conversation at a party. In fact, at the conferences I go to I tend to get very territorial about my specific focus and have to hold myself back because the nightly cocktail parties are actually very enjoyable.

I remember though when I initially got the "bug for the brain" in my early 20's I told some girl in a bar in Santa Barbara I was a neurophysiologist, which I wasn't at the time, thinking she'd be impressed. She wasn't. And the girls still aren't, so I don't say anything, even though now I really know my stuff. Go figure.

Embrace it!

One of us. One of us. One of us.

1. Does wearing a shirt with a geeky design automatically make me a geek?

No, wearing a shirt with a geeky design does not automatically make you a geek. Being a geek is a mindset and a passion for a particular subject or activity, not just a fashion statement.

2. What exactly is considered a "geeky" shirt?

A geeky shirt can have a design or reference related to a specific fandom, such as a TV show, movie, book, or video game. It can also have a design that incorporates science, technology, or other intellectual topics.

3. Can I still wear a geeky shirt if I'm not into the fandom or subject it represents?

Yes, you can still wear a geeky shirt even if you're not into the fandom or subject it represents. Just like any other clothing item, you can wear it as a fashion statement or to show support for a friend who may be a fan.

4. Is it appropriate to wear a geeky shirt in a professional setting?

It depends on the specific workplace and dress code. In some industries, wearing a geeky shirt may be acceptable or even encouraged. However, in more formal or conservative settings, it may be seen as unprofessional. It's always best to use your discretion and dress appropriately for the environment.

5. Are there any negative connotations associated with wearing a geeky shirt?

There can be negative connotations associated with wearing a geeky shirt, as some people may view it as childish or uncool. However, it's important to embrace your interests and individuality, regardless of what others may think. As long as you feel confident and comfortable, it shouldn't matter what others may perceive.