Smallest set of fundamental physical constants?

In summary, Jens Martin Knudsen said that there exist seven absolutely fundamental constants of nature, and if one of these were changed ever so slightly, it would lead to drastic changes in the whole universe. He said that three of these constants are the speed of light in vacuum, Plancks constant, and Newtons gravitational constant.
PeetH
Hi, everyone.

I once saw a science program with the danish astrophycisist Jens Martin Knudsen, who said that there exists seven absolutely fundamental constants of nature, and if one of these were changed ever so slightly, it would lead to drastic changes in the whole universe. So my question is: what is the smallest set of physical constants, by which all other contants of nature, in principle, can be derived? How many are needed? I know the set is probably not unique, but a sensible set then. I guess three of them would be the speed of light in vacuum, Plancks constant and Newtons gravitational constant.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DaleSpam, thanks for the link. Very interesting page. I guess these 26 constants are the most fundamental if we look so deep into the fundamentals of particle physics. So I surely got, what I asked for :-).

But if we lift us up, just above this very deep level, where Plancks constant, speed of light etc. is considered as universal constants, is there a similar collection of independent constants, from which you could calculate all others.

I'm quite sure JMK said 6 or 7 such constants, but unfortunately without specifing which. What could he had ment? He was primarily an astrophycisist, so he was probably not that deeply immersed into the field of particle physics.

PeetH said:
I'm quite sure JMK said 6 or 7 such constants, but unfortunately without specifing which. What could he had ment? He was primarily an astrophycisist, so he was probably not that deeply immersed into the field of particle physics.

It's tough to say, since we don't know what he said, what he meant, or when he said it (which year).

I would link to exactly the same page as in post #2 above, but DaleSpam had already done it :smile:.

I would say that the smallest set of fundamental physical constants is a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While some may argue that there are only seven fundamental constants, others may argue for more or less. It is also important to note that the concept of a "fundamental" constant may change as our understanding of the universe evolves.

Currently, the most widely accepted set of fundamental physical constants includes the speed of light in vacuum, Planck's constant, and the gravitational constant. These constants are essential in understanding and describing the fundamental forces and laws of nature. However, there are also other constants that are considered fundamental, such as the mass of the electron and the fine structure constant.

Ultimately, the answer to the question of the smallest set of fundamental physical constants may never be fully agreed upon, as it is constantly evolving with new discoveries and theories in the field of physics. What is certain is that these constants play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its workings.

1. What is the smallest set of fundamental physical constants?

The smallest set of fundamental physical constants refers to a group of physical quantities that have been determined to be independent of each other and are used to describe the basic laws of physics. These constants are believed to be the most fundamental and universal constants in nature.

2. How many fundamental physical constants are there?

There are currently 26 fundamental physical constants that have been identified by scientists. These include constants such as the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and the Planck constant.

3. Why are fundamental physical constants important?

Fundamental physical constants are important because they provide a basis for understanding the fundamental laws of nature. They are also used in various scientific calculations and equations to describe the behavior of matter and energy.

4. Can fundamental physical constants change over time?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that fundamental physical constants can change over time. They are considered to be stable and unchanging throughout the universe.

5. How are fundamental physical constants determined?

Fundamental physical constants are determined through precise and rigorous scientific experiments and observations. These experiments involve measuring the values of these constants and comparing them to theoretical predictions and other experimental results.