Making History Today - A Reflection

In summary: Not so great President.In summary, both Barack Obama and John McCain gave great speeches. McCain's supporters booed him whenever he mentioned Obama, but the Obama supporters clapped for McCain out of respect. Obama's speech was full of quotes from Lincoln, and it was a very proud day for black people. The man who was holding his child was white, and McCain said it was a proud day for black people. McCain also said that he wants to make changes for Joe the plumber. I thought both speeches were amazing, and I'm excited to see what Obama will do as president.
Cyrus
I just helped make history today......wow.

Did anyone notice the McCain people Booo every time he mentioned Obama. But the Obama people clapped for McCain out of respect.

I though both had amazing speeches. Finally, America is back on track. Its long over due.

I look forward to my gold member status.

Science news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
Did anyone notice the McCain people Booo every time he mentioned Obama. But the Obama people clapped for McCain out of respect.

That's what always happens when there's someone who wins and someone who loses.

What I did find interesting was the white supremacist looking man who was holding his child. McCain said it was a proud day for black people, and the crowd was all clapping except for the bald dude with tattoos on his head...

For our generation, this was like watching Louis Armstrong land on the moon.

moose said:
What I did find interesting was the white supremacist looking man who was holding his child. McCain said it was a proud day for black people, and the crowd was all clapping except for the bald dude with tattoos on his head...
I noticed that too!

Yeah, I thought both had great speeches too. I got kinda goosebumpy when Obama was quoting Lincoln there.

Not only is this historic for being the first election of a black man to the Presidency but I think it really says something about the quality and resilience of American institutions and people that we've gone from separate restaurants, schools, and bathrooms to a black President in sixty years without the country blowing up.

To me, it's sending out a message - We won't let religious fundamentalists dictate how we live, and that intelligence and respect for others is a good thing.

Cyrus said:
For our generation, this was like watching Louis Armstrong land on the moon.

i know! imagine the possumilities!

He really struck me as a down to earth person when he gave his speech and said he want to make changes for Joe the plumber.

He was sincere.

Good comparison to the moon landing, Cyrus: "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." :approve:

...Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki called Obama's victory a "momentous" day for Kenya.

He declared Thursday a public holiday for Kenyans to "celebrate the historic achievement by Senator Obama and our country".

"This is a momentous day not only in the history of the United States of America, but also for us in Kenya. The victory of Senator Obama is our own victory because of his roots here in Kenya. As a country, we are full of pride for his success," Kibaki said in a statement.

"We the Kenyan people are immensely proud of your Kenyan roots. Your victory is not only an inspiration to millions of people all over the world, but it has special resonance with us here in Kenya," Kibaki said in a message to Obama.

"I am confident that your presidency shall herald a new chapter of dialogue between the American people and the world at large."
http://news.smh.com.au/world/obamas-kenyan-relatives-cheer-win-20081105-5ib0.html

Dance, my friends...dance.

Last edited by a moderator:
btw, that was Neil Armstrong.

Ivan Seeking said:
btw, that was Neil Armstrong.

I know :wink:

Am I the only one that gets really annoyed by every news article that says Obama is the first African-American president? He's not African-American, what's so hard to understand?

Mech_Engineer said:
Am I the only one that gets really annoyed by every news article that says Obama is the first African-American president? He's not African-American, what's so hard to understand?

You're right. He's an arab muslim. A double historic first!

His father is from Kenya. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Although I did not like either candidate, I gained quite a bit of respect for both of them tonight. I now feel very optimistic about the future of our country.:smile:

I have just been watching the coverage from all the way over in Australia. I must say, although i am not an American citizen, even i felt goosebumps throughout much of Obama's amazing speech form the other side of the world. I am sure Obama will serve both American, and Global citizens to the best of his ability. An amazing result for an outstanding campaign.

Congratulations on your new President.

||spoon|| said:
Congratulations on your new President.

Thanks! Isn't he all shiny and nice? We got a great price on him, too. I can't wait to take him out on the open road.

I will back my new president 100% even though I did not vote for him. Obama won by a good majority and has both the Senate and House behind him. Things will move pretty quickly in gov't for awhile.

I'm just sorry to see that we won't ever have McCain in that office. I imagine we won't see him in the Prez race again. He is a good man and would have made a solid president.

drankin said:
I will back my new president 100% even though I did not vote for him. Obama won by a good majority and has both the Senate and House behind him. Things will move pretty quickly in gov't for awhile.

I'm just sorry to see that we won't ever have McCain in that office. I imagine we won't see him in the Prez race again. He is a good man and would have made a solid president.

He really shot himself in the foot with Palin, and started slinging a LOT of mud that just didnt stick on the wall. Stuff like Obama rolls with terrorists, etc.

Mech_Engineer said:

His father was African. His mother was American. I think it's safe to call him African American.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/04/mccain/index.html
The new president-elect told McCain that he was eager to sit down and talk about how the two of them can work together. "I need your help, you're a leader on so many important issues," Obama told McCain.
I hope so, especially on Iraq, Afghanistan and the federal response to the financial crisis. Even though he's not in the presidential office, McCain can play an important role in the Senate.

The bauld guy didnt have any tats on his head guys...

But he does look like G gordon liddy!

http://www.edge1400.com/liddypr.jpg

Who did happen to be playing a bad guy on tonights re-run of miami vice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you imagine how Bush must feel right now. People all over america went into the streets and started celebrating like it was new years! They even went to the gates of the white house cheering unanounced. To my knowledge, that's never happened before. Meanwhile when bush won second term, the country was like...are you kidding me.

I voted for Kerry in the first election because I didnt like bush. But I really didnt care much about Kerry either. It's interesting to actually care about a candiate for a change.

I have all these funny feelings. Te-he-he-he-he.

Mech_Engineer said:
He's mixed blood, apparently the color of your skin is still very important. All aesthetics if you ask me, but to some racist people this is the marker that they go by, so that is what he had to overcome.

Congratulations to all Americans.

You have chosen to elect a man who has promised much; hopefully, he will be the man to make those promises true.

Congratulations America!

I hope he really does thing better, to build a safer better, and bigger and more fair america but also to help Europe and suffering people from Palestina.

No more troops (from any country) on Irak or Afghanistan , ... say NO to war

another question.. Obama itself was really born on USA ?? .. i think i have heard that his parents (at least one of them) come from Kenya

Cyrus said:
The bauld guy didnt have any tats on his head guys...

Oh my bad, it was really short hair... I have a really crappy tv so those looked like tats for me.

drankin said:

If nothing else, I can definitely say that I wish McCain had become president in 2000 rather than what actually happened.

moose said:

Haven't seen that, but from your description sounds like he had hands occupied with the kid.

mhill said:
Obama itself was really born on USA ??

I think it is the prerequisite.

I'll be following eagerly how Obama manages to end the war in Iraq. He did promise that, right?

Borek said:
mhill said:
Obama itself was really born on USA ??
I think it is the prerequisite.

Yeah, the only thing that protects America from Schwarzenegger :wink:

So, is included in the wholesale package also, continuation of the death penalty, no futher restrictions on weapon control, no improvement in tolerance for gays?

But of course it's like Louis Armstrong on the moon

louis-moon.JPG