How did Dr. May achieve success in both academia and the entertainment industry?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, Dr. Brian May is a mega celebrity with a long history of academic excellence. He has announced that he will be taking a break from music to focus on his dissertation.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Physics news on Phys.org
How cool is that? :approve:

I thank him for taking a break and making some excellent music.

Way cool, though I am probably more impressed by the fact that he and his father built his signature red guitar together. I have done a lot of guitar repairs, tune-ups, and re-frets, and there is a lot that can go wrong, resulting in a tonally dead or "spotty" instrument. His signature tone is impressive and recognizable even to people with just a passing involvement in music. Play us a tune, Dr. May!

Last edited:
I think that's wonderful!

That's pretty awesome! A surprise to me though. I have always loved Queen for their music, but little did I know that May was also into academics. :smile:

Now, where did that thread go about scientists needing an image change? I had heard a little while ago that he was working on his dissertation. It's good to get academics publicized in such a positive light.

Doc Al said:
How cool is that? :approve:

I thank him for taking a break and making some excellent music.

*Looks at the Queen poster right next to me*

Yup :approve:

I get tired of seeing some of those moronic celebrity worship magazines and shows that tell you that so and so had 15 PhD's before becoming a supermodel-party girl or boy band member.

It's very nice to see a full blown mega celebrity that can actually walk the walk. I think it's even more impressive that he picked up right where he left off after a long break. I took a 10 year break between undergrad and grad school and I had a lot of relearning to do. Props to Dr. May.

What is "Dr. May: Achieving Success!" about?

"Dr. May: Achieving Success!" is a book that provides practical advice and strategies for achieving success in various aspects of life. It is based on the personal experiences and insights of Dr. May, a successful scientist and entrepreneur.

Is this book only for scientists?

No, this book is not limited to scientists. While some examples and anecdotes may be related to the field of science, the advice and strategies can be applied to any profession or personal goals.

Does this book guarantee success?

No, this book does not guarantee success. Success is a subjective concept and depends on various factors. However, this book provides guidance and tools that can increase the chances of achieving success.

Are there any specific steps or actions recommended in this book?

Yes, this book provides specific steps and actions that can help in achieving success. These include setting goals, developing a growth mindset, building a strong network, and taking calculated risks, among others.

Can this book be helpful for someone who is already successful?

Yes, this book can be helpful for anyone who is looking to continuously improve and achieve even greater success. It provides insights and strategies that can help maintain success and set new goals for personal and professional growth.