Electromagnetism Books: Affordable 2nd Year Options

In summary: This place sometimes have those book from India etc, but it maybe take some time to get them...Thanks a lot guys, you've been extremely helpful!:smile:
qspeechc
Could someone please recommend a book for 2nd year Electromagnetism? The topics to be covered are:
Code:
Vector calculus (div, grad, curl), electrostatics, special techniques for potentials, electric fields in matter, magnetostatics, Magnetic fields in matter, current, Ohm's law, circuits, electromagnetic induction, electrodynamics, Maxwell's equations.

at a 2nd year level.
See, the problem is, the prescribed book for the course is D.J.Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics 3rd Ed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/013805326X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Which is $123.00 + shipping! There's no way in hell I can afford that- I get less than that a year!
Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRIFFITHS-INTRODUCTION-TO-ELECTRODYNAMICS-3-E_W0QQitemZ280106725354QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2228QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with 2nd hand books ordered from the web could be the quality of the book. Actually I don't know- I've never ordered a 2nd hand book- but I guess that would be the case.

Thank-you very much guys, you've been a great help :D

Last edited:
qspeechc said:
Problem with 2nd hand books ordered from the web could be the quality of the book. Actually I don't know- I've never ordered a 2nd hand book- but I guess that would be the case.

Thank-you very much guys, you've been a great help :D

I have got very good quality used books, and they are cheap :-)

Good luck with your course!

Thanks a lot malawi glenn.

i'm not sure which country you come from, but if you're in some south-east asian country, you get these books unbelievably cheap... costs you about 3-4 american dollars... actually, there is a tie-up between the actual publishing company and some local publishing companies, and these are referred to as "low price editions" or LPEs...

gc2004 said:
i'm not sure which country you come from, but if you're in some south-east asian country, you get these books unbelievably cheap... costs you about 3-4 american dollars... actually, there is a tie-up between the actual publishing company and some local publishing companies, and these are referred to as "low price editions" or LPEs...

He is from:

:wink:

gc2004 said:

Sounds extraordinarily interesting. Can you tell me more? And yes, I am from South Africa :biggrin:

Last edited:
there's hardly anything more to it... these are called low price editions... for example, mc graw hill becomes tata mc graw hill... there are loads of books of wiley, pearson education, mc graw hill, elsevier... one gets griffiths, goldstein, arfken, reif, berkeley course, zemansky, gasiorowicz and almost every other book extraordinarily cheap, but these books are for sale only in the indian subcontinent and in indonesia and countries like burma, vietnam... i don't think south africa is in the list... sorry!

http://www.alibris.com/

this place sometimes have those book from India etc, but it maybe take some time to get them...

Thanks a lot guys, you've been extremely helpful!:smile:

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the electromagnetic force, which is the force that causes electrically charged particles to interact with each other. It includes the study of electric and magnetic fields, as well as their interactions with each other and with matter.

2. Why should I study electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental aspect of the physical world and has many practical applications in our daily lives. Understanding electromagnetism can help us understand how electricity and magnetism work, as well as how they are related to each other. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, telecommunications, and medical imaging.

3. What are some common applications of electromagnetism?

Some common applications of electromagnetism include electric motors, generators, transformers, radios, televisions, and computer hard drives. It is also used in medical equipment such as MRI machines and in industrial processes such as welding and metal detection.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying electromagnetism?

Yes, a basic understanding of algebra, calculus, and vector calculus is necessary for studying electromagnetism. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of mechanics and classical physics.

5. What are some affordable options for learning about electromagnetism as a second-year student?

There are many affordable options for learning about electromagnetism as a second-year student, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes from reputable universities. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free lectures and practice problems on electromagnetism.