PF PHOTO CONTEST - Motion (may 30- june 6)

In summary: Second picture is good, but I don't like how the background is distracting. Third picture is great, love the motion.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Motion
Photos that convey a sense of movement or motion please.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Ideas for competitions you'd like to see? Submit them here[/url

Physics news on Phys.org
well, let's get on with it. This birdie was certainly in motion:

1z68w8p.jpg

Another (smaller) bird. Female ruby-throated hummingbird braking on approach to nectar feeder.

cont_H_bird.jpg

These eagle shots are excellent Andre.

motion.jpg

The stars show the motion of Earth over about 5 minutes. I was amazed at how long these trails were over such a short time. Light pollution meant I couldn't really do much longer.

marzena_motion.jpg

Sorry all, uploaded wrong version of Marzena's picture at first :blushing:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2933/rocket.png
Mate and I on guyfawkes last year, he took the photos for his photography and design paper and we let off our 140$ boombox of fireworks and recorded it with a sony hd minicam, the design wizard curtis is photoshopped all the photos together somehow, had a few beers and lucky no one got hurt XD this is the only one that shows motion of a sort, the others are just explosions XD

Last edited by a moderator:
vorcil said:
Mate and I on guyfawkes last year, he took the photos for his photography and design paper and we let off our 140$ boombox of fireworks and recorded it with a sony hd minicam, the design wizard curtis is photoshopped all the photos together somehow, had a few beers and lucky no one got hurt XD this is the only one that shows motion of a sort, the others are just explosions XD

Pssst! Read the contest rules.

Zz.

Sorry Vorcil, advanced photoshoppery & editing is not allowed. Shame because I would have voted for that picture. Very nice. (also watch your sizes)

matthyaouw said:

Thanks Matt, this is actually a Hawk[/url]. Ingredients: Canon 450D + 70-300mm IS USM as split second auto focus is essential obviously, Also the IS (Image Stabilisation) was put in mode 2 for panning. Also I used burst mode, as this is the best of about 50 shots. Finally, one requires a good raptor bird show of course.

Not sure if this is my best dance photo, but I think multiple flash is an interesting way to convey motion:

2127575742_a570a6b2f0.jpg

1/2-second exposure; flash fired twice.

(Flickr's rules demand that I make the image link back to Flickr, hence the link.)

vorcil said:
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2933/rocket.png

Too bad that picture doesn't qualify, it's amazing.First picture is effing amazing. I have some fairly good motion shots, but I'm having a very tough time choosing one out of the bunch. Gah. Maybe I'll post one tomorrow... We'll see.

Andre said:
Thanks Matt, this is actually a Hawk[/url]. Ingredients: Canon 450D + 70-300mm IS USM as split second auto focus is essential obviously, Also the IS (Image Stabilisation) was put in mode 2 for panning. Also I used burst mode, as this is the best of about 50 shots. Finally, one requires a good raptor bird show of course.

I'm pretty amazed that you got that clarity with the 70-300, could have sworn you used a 70-200. Does the full res look as good as the sized down version?

moose said:
I'm pretty amazed that you got that clarity with the 70-300, could have sworn you used a 70-200. Does the full res look as good as the sized down version?

Well, the 70-300 is not a bad glass. I selected it after reading this.

The original size here (see crop). You can see why I cropped it as it is, to minimize background clutter.

Last edited:
Any more? you have a few hours

Ah man I had a couple expressionism shots for my photography course. Misplaced them though :( go figure :P Great shots guys styll.

If you insist :wink:

marcin_motion.jpg

matthyaouw said:

motion.jpg

The stars show the motion of Earth over about 5 minutes. I was amazed at how long these trails were over such a short time. Light pollution meant I couldn't really do much longer.

that is really amazing, just like a drizzle:tongue:

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Motion?

The theme for this contest is "Motion". We are looking for photographs that capture movement in a creative and impactful way.

2. Can I submit more than one photograph for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photographs for the contest. However, please make sure they all fit the theme and meet the submission guidelines.

3. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, technical skill, and overall impact of the photograph.

4. Do I need to have a professional camera to participate?

No, you do not need a professional camera to participate. Any camera, including smartphones, can capture great photographs. What matters most is the creativity and skill of the photographer.

5. Will my photograph be used for any other purposes besides the contest?

Your photograph will only be used for the contest and will not be used for any other purposes without your consent. By submitting your photograph, you are giving us permission to feature it on our website and social media platforms, but you will retain all rights to your photograph.