Photo Contest - Be Square (8/27-9/2)

In summary, the photo contest's theme is "Be Square" and all photos must be in a square format. Anyone with a passion for photography can participate, regardless of age or location. To submit a photo, follow the guidelines in the contest announcement, such as using a specific hashtag or emailing the photo. The judging criteria may include creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The deadline for submitting photos will be specified in the contest announcement.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Be Square

Square. A geometrical shape having 4 sides of equal length. Your photo for this week's contest must have, as its main subject, this geometrical shape.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
No squares?

Zz.

It took me a while to come up with this:

[PLAIN]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6112/dsc01831c.jpg

I was getting to the point of playing off of the slang meaning of 'square' (as in, 'you are such a square!') when I noticed that the Rock Hall is *covered* in squares.

So, squares built Rock and Roll!

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick said:
I was getting to the point of playing off of the slang meaning of 'square' (as in, 'you are such a square!') when I noticed that the Rock Hall is *covered* in squares.

I'm glad you didn't. The contest description specifically indicated that this is a geometrical shape. You have no leeway to interpret the word "square" any other way.

Zz.

img3968p.jpg

Zz.

This is a hard topic. How does one make the SQUARE the subject, rather than what the square actually is?

Imho, it appears that none of these photos make the squares the main subject... Maybe Andy's, but it looks to me that the building and the shape of it is the main subject, and the squares are simply on that subject...

Actually, none of the photos have even a single square in them.

khemist said:
This is a hard topic. How does one make the SQUARE the subject, rather than what the square actually is?

Imho, it appears that none of these photos make the squares the main subject... Maybe Andy's, but it looks to me that the building and the shape of it is the main subject, and the squares are simply on that subject...

Andy Resnick said:
Actually, none of the photos have even a single square in them.

OK, now we're splitting hairs.

The topics is on the geometrical shape. As long as the object in question is a square, or have squares, it doesn't matter how it appears in the photo based on the perspective.

And yes, the photo must have, as its main subject, the object that is either a square, or have squares. What this means is that it cannot be something in the background, or something that isn't prominent enough that something else is the focus of the photo. How "convincing" this is, or if it is "square" enough will be left to the voters. I can only disqualify photos that clearly do not match the theme, not those that are in the gray area.

Zz.

A lady made of squares. (I hope it qualifies?)

398303637.jpg

marzena_be_square2.jpg

babyhayley_cont.jpg

The frame is square and the cut-out is square, but the little girl is NOT square. She has always been a happy little kid, even with bug-bites like in this picture, and she has to make up sing-song-y raps about everything. If you take her to the bathroom, she'll start singing "poopin' and a-peein', poopin' and a-peein'" She's a piece of work!

marcin_square.jpg

Last few hours to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

[PLAIN]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4517/img0259o.jpg

Related to Photo Contest - Be Square (8/27-9/2)

What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Be Square," meaning that all submitted photos must be in a square format.

Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone with a passion for photography, regardless of age or location.

How do I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo, you must follow the guidelines specified in the contest announcement. This may include posting on social media with a specific hashtag or emailing the photo to a designated email address.

What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The judging criteria will vary depending on the specific contest, but typically includes elements such as creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme.

What is the deadline for submitting photos?

The deadline for submitting photos will also be specified in the contest announcement. Make sure to submit your photo before the stated deadline to be considered for the contest.