Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1
    Here is a shot of the transit of venus as seen from Swansea, South Wales

i used a 114mm reflector wiht a 900mm focal lenght with a Mylar solar filter.
    A universal t-mount fitter with a 20mm eye piece. mounted on the t mount was a Canon EOS 50E loaded with Fuji Superia XTRA ISO 200 film.

The exposure was 1/45th second taken at 0600hr UT,obviously on the 8 June 2004.

This was the first look i hade of the Transit, just after second contact, as it was a very cloudy day but i got lucky and managed to get 36 usable shots!

I had only been attempting astrophotography for about 2 mponths when this was taken.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2
    I thought i`d also sare the very first picture i`ve took. Apart from the croped image i`m very pleased with it

Attached Files:

4. Aug 3, 2005 #3
    The latest attempt the Summer Triangle (for ref. Vega lower left ... taken on the 1/8/2005)

Attached Files:

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4
    Astrophotography is very pretty :smile: and was wondering where I could find high resolution images that I could use as a background.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

turbo

Gold Member

7. Aug 18, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sorry I missed this before...
    What kind of camera/mount did you use for that? I recently bought a nice upper-mid level digital camera with 10x zoom and a big lens (like F2.8 even at 10x zoom) and up to 15s manual exposure. I'm hoping for some wide-field shots like that, but summer weather in PA means I haven't had a clear night in months...

8. Aug 18, 2005 #7
  9. Aug 19, 2005 #8
    Thank you for the links.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook