Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

$20 million worth of fireworks in five minutes

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jLy5JmQO0rujtgIhagTrOSwBRkfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAIItGzjRw

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's a little excessive.

Someone should remind them that the price of oil is a third of what it was.

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Its Dubai. Their entire culture is based on havnig large amounts of money and letting everyone else know it. What do you think they would do with all that cash, give $20 million to the red cross or use it to fund research to help cure diseases? :rolleyes: Only stupid saps like us spend money on such practical things.

5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is off the scale - it is a phenomenon that cannot be properly appreciated.

Fireworks seen from the air defeat the purpose and lose their awe and majesty. Yet the display is far too large to be appreciated from the ground (since it obviously spans the entire Palm Dubai, an area of 25 square kilometers).

That, in itself, is kind of awe-inspiring and kind of sad at the same time.

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's more than just showing off. They know their days as an oil-rich nation are limited - something like twenty years, IIRC - so they have invested tremendously in a future of tourism. They are trying to position themselves as THE resort destination in the ME.

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

When the sirens when off at the end, all I could think of was "fire alarm!" like they had caught the new hotel on fire.

8. Nov 21, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, I was thinking that air raid sirens may not be the best choice for a ME resort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?