$20 million worth of fireworks in five minutes

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
DUBAI (AFP) — Shrugging off the global financial crisis, Dubai overnight toasted a new luxury hotel with a 20 million dollar bash attended by film stars and sporting greats and marked by a spectacular fireworks display...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jLy5JmQO0rujtgIhagTrOSwBRkfg [Broken]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAIItGzjRw

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
That's a little excessive.

Someone should remind them that the price of oil is a third of what it was.

That's a little excessive.

Someone should remind them that the price of oil is a third of what it was.
Its Dubai. Their entire culture is based on havnig large amounts of money and letting everyone else know it. What do you think they would do with all that cash, give $20 million to the red cross or use it to fund research to help cure diseases? :rolleyes: Only stupid saps like us spend money on such practical things.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
It is off the scale - it is a phenomenon that cannot be properly appreciated.

Fireworks seen from the air defeat the purpose and lose their awe and majesty. Yet the display is far too large to be appreciated from the ground (since it obviously spans the entire Palm Dubai, an area of 25 square kilometers).

That, in itself, is kind of awe-inspiring and kind of sad at the same time.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's more than just showing off. They know their days as an oil-rich nation are limited - something like twenty years, IIRC - so they have invested tremendously in a future of tourism. They are trying to position themselves as THE resort destination in the ME.

turbo
Gold Member
When the sirens when off at the end, all I could think of was "fire alarm!" like they had caught the new hotel on fire.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When the sirens when off at the end, all I could think of was "fire alarm!" like they had caught the new hotel on fire.
Heh, I was thinking that air raid sirens may not be the best choice for a ME resort.