26 Year Old Computer Scientist's First Physics Foray

• Thread starter AndrewRibeiro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    programming
AndrewRibeiro
Hello lovers of Physics!

It has long been one of my deepest darkest secrets that I have never formally studied physics. I've always felt ashamed of this because to me physics is one of the most elegant areas of human thought and I consider myself a decent thinker. I've decided as a new years resolution to seriously study physics and gain a basic mastery of classical mechanics this year. I have a mathematical background mainly in discrete mathematics, but I have studied Calculus 1 in college. I know I will need to step up my calculus game for this endeavor and have tons of supplements to help me with this. Not having a thorough mastery of Calculus is another one of my dark secrets and I know studying physics will help me put calculus in a tangible context which will help me better develop my calculus intuition.

I'm taking this edx course as my introduction: https://www.edx.org/course/advanced-introductory-classical-mitx-8-mechcx-0

As for my Computer Science background, I've done projects in many areas from robotics to compiler design. I also love creating web applications. I will be looking for people on here to team up with to create physics based apps that either help with the education of physics or use physics in some novel way. I will be the programmer, you be the physicist. I think I can learn a lot about physics through collaborative projects like this. So if you have an idea, I'd love to hear about it and work with you!

I'm looking forward to being an active member on this forum and learning from all your wisdom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Likes AndrewRibeiro