30th Anniversary of John Lennon's death

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, John Lennon's final interview was published on the 30th anniversary of his death. The singer was killed by a crazed fan outside his home in New York, and to commemorate the event, fans are planning commemorations of his life and legacy on Wednesday.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
John Lennon's Final Interview Published On 30th Anniversary Of His Death

It was 30 years ago today that former Beatle John Lennon was murdered by a crazed fan outside his home in New York. To mark that tragic event, fans around the world are planning commemorations of the singer's life and legacy on Wednesday (December 8), remembering his message of peace and love and paying tribute to one of the premier songwriters of the modern era...
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653779/20101208/lennon_john.jhtml

I remember the day he was killed very well. I was sitting on the couch with the radio playing when the announcement was made.

Had he lived, he would be 70 years old. Now that is hard to "imagine".

Physics news on Phys.org
We were talking about this at work today and wondered how we got to be so old.

I heard about it on the radio too, when my clock radio alarm went off that morning. The news created one of those strange gut sensations. Just weird.

A truly tragic loss. Too bad his message was heard but not really adopted.

"Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try"

I was upstairs studying for a calculus exam, and my housemates were downstairs watching Monday Night Football. They called up to me after

Last edited by a moderator:
It happened I have this photo scanned for one of competitions. That was the week Lennon was killed, most likely on Friday or Saturday.

fun_yet.jpg

I am not there, I am taking the picture. "Let it be" cover has a black ribbon in the upper left corner. Other than that it is not much different from what we did on most weekends when my Mom was out of town.

I remember the moment I heard the news. I had to pull of the road and stop, as I could not see for the tears.

A Man more popular than Jesus... as per some.
I'll include myself in their numbers.

For what it’s worth to anyone, I remember that evening all too well. John’s “Double Fantasy” album had just recently been released and I was thrilled, as I’ve always loved John’s music, as well as the fab four together as the Beatles. I had just come home from my part-time teaching job (Digital and Microcomputer electronics) when I heard on the radio that John Lennon had been shot. Instinctively, I knew we had already lost him. It was as though I could sense his departure and though I hoped that I was totally wrong more than anytime in my entire life, the announcement just 10 to 15 minutes later confirmed my fateful intuition, "John Lennon...is dead!" It still brings chills, it still brings tears.

A huge part of my world got smaller that night and truth be told, my eyes are filling up as I type this, 30 empty years later. I suppose that gives you some sense of how important John was to me. After that, I forever lost my desire to continue as a professional musician, as I had already witnessed a shooting death before my eyes at the club we were playing at in Philadelphia (in late 1974). Soon after (John's death), I composed a song as a tribute to John, though I was lacking adequate recording equipment at that time, so I had to postpone recording it until I eventually acquired adequate studio recording equipment (I’ve played keyboards all my life and have continued for personal satisfaction only).

I remember hearing about it and thought what a sick country we live in that allows people to carry guns.

Evo said:
I remember hearing about it and thought what a sick country we live in that allows people to carry guns.

While I understand your sentiment perfectly Evo, one must never lose sight of the fact that, if guns were to be outlawed, then only outlaws in our society would possesses guns. If you think this society has problems now, then just try to imagine what it would be like if only outlaws had guns. Bear in mind that it isn’t the law-abiding citizen that elects to kill.

Gnosis said:
While I understand your sentiment perfectly Evo, one must never lose sight of the fact that, if guns were to be outlawed, then only outlaws in our society would possesses guns. If you think this society has problems now, then just try to imagine what it would be like if only outlaws had guns. Bear in mind that it isn’t the law-abiding citizen that elects to kill.
The UK outlawed guns and they're doing fine. Kind of kills that argument, eh?

His death just pisses me off so much that I don't want to think about it. One of the true musical geniuses who has ever existed, cut down before his time. I'm glad that Julien has carried on in his mould.

1. What was the date of John Lennon's death?

The 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death was on December 8, 2010.

2. How did John Lennon die?

John Lennon was shot and killed by Mark David Chapman outside of his apartment building in New York City on December 8, 1980.

3. How old was John Lennon when he died?

John Lennon was 40 years old when he died.

4. What was John Lennon's impact on music and society?

John Lennon was a highly influential musician and activist, known for his work with the Beatles and as a solo artist. He used his platform to promote peace and social justice, and his music continues to inspire and influence generations.

5. How is John Lennon's legacy celebrated on the anniversary of his death?

On the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death, fans and admirers around the world hold vigils, concerts, and other events to honor his memory and celebrate his life and contributions to music and society.

Back