Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4th order homogeneous linear ODE with constant coefficients

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    Can someone explain to to me how to find the general solution of the fourth order ODE

y''''-y''=0

Right now I have

y(x)=a+b*x+c*e^-x+d*e^x

where a,b,c and d are constants.

Not sure if this is correct just wanted to double check.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2
    Seems right to me at first glance. Your r values for the aux. eq. are correct and that's about all the problem comes down to since it is set equal to 0 and not a constant or another function which would lead to undetermined coefficients.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

Yes, it's correct. Another way you can check is to note that if you set u = y'', you get

u'' - u = 0,

an equation which you pressumably know the solution to. It's then just a matter of integrating twice.

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4
    Re: 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with variable coefficients

please. anyone can help me to get the general solution of the equation:
    EI(X)Ø'''(X)+Km(x)Ø(x)=0
    where: k= constant
    EI(X) and m(x) are variable coefficients
    and i will be very grateful for him...........

6. Apr 18, 2010 #5
    Re: 4th order homogeneous linear ODE with variable coefficients

please. anyone can help me to get the general solution of the equation:
    EI(X)Ø'''(X)+Km(x)Ø(x)=0
    where: k= constant
    EI(X) and m(x) are variable coefficients
    and i will be very grateful for him...........

7. Apr 20, 2010 #6
    my colleages....why i didnot answer about my question????????

8. Apr 20, 2010 #7
    sorry, why i didnot find any answer about my question???????

9. Apr 25, 2010 #8
    this may help you. Its something i made for the 1d 4th order wave eqn... i think you will find pg 7 handy.

Attached Files:

10. Apr 25, 2010 #9
    thank you very much Nick Bruno....But the problem is that, how can find the solution of the equation when EI and m are variable with x-axis and not constants....i think that the equation can be solved by seperation of variables but the resulted equations will be on the form of ODEs with variable coefficients which i am looking for their solutions, and i will be thankful for anybody can help me in this subject...

11. Apr 25, 2010 #10
    looks like you may need to use sturm-liouville and use a computer to solve your problem.

12. May 11, 2010 #11
    Hi colleages, can anyone help me to get this paper which is entitled;"solution of ordinary linear differential equations with variable coefficients by impulsive admittances". this paper in the quarterly journal of mechanics and applied mathematics, volume 6, no.1, pp.122-127. by W.J. Duncan, 1953............please help me to get this paper and i will be very grateful for this...

13. May 11, 2010 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note: please ask new questions by creating and posting in a new thread, rather than posting in existing threads. New threads can be created by clicking the "New Topic" [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/Prime/buttons/newthread.gif [Broken] button.

You can purchase the paper here:
    http://qjmam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/6/1/122

If you don't want to spend 32 $US, I would look for the journal at the math department library of a local university.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. May 12, 2010 #13
    my colleage....i havenot the way to buy this paper, because, i havenot the prepay cards...
    please, if you can to get this paper,send it to me..

15. May 13, 2010 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Omarxx84, you are coming awfully close to being banned from this forum.

First, you "hijacked" someone else's thread to ask a completely unrelated question which is very rude. (It's not that hard to click on the "new topic" button on the main menu.)

Second, you are asking people to send you a copy of a copy-righted paper, which is a crime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook