A few questions on axonal growth (nucleogenesis)

• Thread starter visharad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for simple answers to various questions regarding neurogenesis and its different mechanisms and examples. Specifically, the conversation brings up the use of concentration gradients in neurogenesis, different functions of the same molecule in different contexts, and examples of guidance cues used by axons. The conversation also mentions the use of organisms such as insects and vertebrates as examples. The individual is unsure about specific examples and is seeking clarification on how various molecules function in different contexts.
visharad
These are not homework questions. I saw these and some other questions mentioned as discussion in a document. I could find answer to others.

I need just 3 or 4 sentences simple answers to these so that I can get a head-start.

1. Compare at least two different examples where concentration gradients are used during neurogenesis.

Are the following examples OK?
1) AP and DV concentration gradients in insects form body axes, which specify proneural cluster.
2) In vertebrates, regional D-V concentration gradients specify the organization of the neural tube.

2. Compare and contrast at least two different functions for the same molecule in different contexts e.g., different stages of neurogenesis, different organisms, or cellular identity

I was thinking of giving examples of insects (such as drosophila) and vertebrates as organisms. But I do not know which same molecule functions differently in these. Can examples of BMP or EGF molecules be given?

3. Compare and contrast examples of an extrinsic mechanism with an intrinsic mechanism of axonal growth.

4. Give at least three examples of different types of guidance cues that axons use to navigate to their target. How do they work?

I know that attractant and repellent (such as semaphorin/plexin) are different types of guidance cues. But I do not understand in any detail to answer this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
For #2, can I give example of netrin molecules because they can act as both attractor as well as repeller of axons?

Even if they're not your homework, homework type questions go into the homework section.

1. What is axonal growth and why is it important?

Axonal growth is the process by which neurons in the central nervous system (CNS) and peripheral nervous system (PNS) extend their axons (long projections) to reach their target cells and form connections. This process is crucial for the development and maintenance of the nervous system, as it allows for communication between different parts of the body and plays a role in learning and memory.

2. How does axonal growth occur?

Axonal growth is a complex process that involves multiple steps. First, the neuron must undergo nucleogenesis, which is the formation of the cell body and its organelles. Next, the developing axon extends from the cell body and begins to grow by elongating its tip, called the growth cone. The growth cone then navigates through the surrounding environment, guided by chemical cues, until it reaches its target cell. Finally, the axon forms connections with the target cell and begins to transmit signals.

3. What factors influence axonal growth?

Axonal growth is influenced by various factors, including genetic factors, environmental cues, and signaling molecules. Genetic factors can determine the overall growth potential and direction of axons. Environmental cues, such as the extracellular matrix and other neighboring cells, provide guidance and support for axonal growth. Signaling molecules, such as growth factors and neurotransmitters, also play a crucial role in regulating axonal growth.

4. What happens if axonal growth is disrupted?

Disruptions in axonal growth can lead to various neurological disorders and diseases. For example, axonal growth defects have been linked to developmental disorders like autism and intellectual disabilities. Injuries to the nervous system, such as spinal cord injuries, can also disrupt axonal growth and lead to paralysis or loss of sensation in the affected area.

5. Can axonal growth be manipulated for therapeutic purposes?

Yes, researchers have been exploring ways to manipulate axonal growth for therapeutic purposes. For instance, growth factors and other molecules that promote axonal growth could potentially be used to repair damaged nerves in patients with spinal cord injuries. Additionally, understanding the mechanisms of axonal growth could lead to the development of new treatments for neurological disorders that involve abnormal axonal growth, such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.