A Graph analysis problem to find when the acceleration is zero

In summary: The same applies to the v vs t graph.In summary, the conversation discusses how acceleration is zero at points B, E, H, and K in the x vs t graph. It is noted that K also has maximum slope and a = 0. There is a question about how this is represented on the graphs and it is concluded that a constant velocity is the definition of zero acceleration. However, it is also mentioned that zero acceleration at an instant of time does not necessarily imply constant velocity.
uranium92
Homework Statement
I have attached the question below in the image. It is not a homework but I am solving Introductory Mechanics by Morin.
Relevant Equations
$$v = \frac{dx}{dt}$$
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt}$$
jj.PNG

I had deduced that B,E,H are the places where acceleration will be zero, but when I read the solutions it showed that K also has a = 0. It said it had maximum slope and then said a = 0. But I couldn't understand why? Please help.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
uranium92 said:
It said it had maximum slope
What does the slope represent on the x vs t graph?

Looks like K is a point of inflection on the x(t) graph.

Think; what sort of behaviour is expected to represent ##a=0## in each graph.

acceleration vs time - not worth mentioning except to note that it's not worth mentioning.

velocity vs time - if there is no (ie:zero) acceleration/deceleration, what does that do to the velocity ? How will that be represented in the graph ? note that I disagree with your assertion that ##E## and ##H## represent zero acceleration

distance vs time - how would the velocity as determined by ##a=0## show up on a ##d:t## graph ? and I agree with the official answer concerning the locus around point ##K## as ##a=0##

TSny said:
What does the slope represent on the x vs t graph?
It represents the velocity in a x vs t graph.

neilparker62 said:
Looks like K is a point of inflection on the x(t) graph.
I don't know what inflection is. If you could tell me or give some links it would be nice.

hmmm27 said:
Think; what sort of behaviour is expected to represent ##a=0## in each graph.

acceleration vs time - not worth mentioning except to note that it's not worth mentioning.

velocity vs time - if there is no (ie:zero) acceleration/deceleration, what does that do to the velocity ? How will that be represented in the graph ? note that I disagree with your assertion that ##E## and ##H## represent zero acceleration

distance vs time - how would the velocity as determined by ##a=0## show up on a ##d:t## graph ? and I agree with the official answer concerning the locus around point ##K## as ##a=0##
I deduced about E and H because the slopes at both points are zero or say parallel to the axis but what I don't understand is how at K acceleration = 0.

uranium92 said:
It represents the velocity in a x vs t graph.
Yes. And, as you said, the slope is maximum at point K.

Which point of the v vs t graph best corresponds to point K of the x vs t graph?

uranium92 said:
I deduced about E and H because the slopes at both points are zero or say parallel to the axis but what I don't understand is how at K acceleration = 0.
I see your point on the ##v:t## graph, though I still disagree with it : I'd argue that a constant velocity (ie: zero acceleration) is determined by a line not a point, and the lines don't look straight (and level) to me. YMMV.

Regarding ##K##, don't look directly at the point ; look at the segment - what does a straight line in a ##d:t## graph represent in terms of velocity ?

TSny said:
Yes. And, as you said, the slope is maximum at point K.

Which point of the v vs t graph best corresponds to point K of the x vs t graph?
Isn't it mentioned in the question that all the graphs are not related to each other?

uranium92 said:
Isn't it mentioned in the question that all the graphs are not related to each other?
Yes. But I still think my question is relevant.

hmmm27 said:
I see your point on the ##v:t## graph, though I still disagree with it : I'd argue that a constant velocity (ie: zero acceleration) is determined by a line not a point, and the lines don't look straight (and level) to me. YMMV.

Regarding ##K##, don't look directly at the point ; look at the segment - what does a straight line in a ##d:t## graph represent in terms of velocity ?
Got it. Does it mean the velocity is constant which means zero acceleration?

uranium92 said:
Got it. Does it mean the velocity is constant which means zero acceleration?
A constant velocity is the definition of zero acceleration.

hmmm27 said:
A constant velocity is the definition of zero acceleration
Thank you very much for your help.

hmmm27 said:
A constant velocity is the definition of zero acceleration.

No. You can have zero acceleration at an instant of time even though the velocity is not constant.

For example, consider the case where the velocity as a function of time is given by the simple equation ##v = t^2##. Note that the velocity is always changing with time. There is no interval of time over which the velocity is constant.

For this velocity function the acceleration as a function of time is given by ##a = 2t##.
At ##t = 0## the acceleration is zero even though the velocity is not constant.

So, zero acceleration at some instant of time does not imply constant velocity.

Likewise, at point K of the x vs t graph, the acceleration is zero. We can say that the velocity is maximum at K, but we can't conclude that the velocity is constant near K.

Likes Delta2, Lnewqban and uranium92
TSny said:
No. You can have zero acceleration at an instant of time even though the velocity is not constant.

For example, consider the case where the velocity as a function of time is given by the simple equation ##v = t^2##. Note that the velocity is always changing with time. There is no interval of time over which the velocity is constant.

For this velocity function the acceleration as a function of time is given by ##a = 2t##.
At ##t = 0## the acceleration is zero even though the velocity is not constant.

So, zero acceleration at some instant of time does not imply constant velocity.

Likewise, at point K of the x vs t graph, the acceleration is zero. We can say that the velocity is maximum at K, but we can't conclude that the velocity is constant near K.
Understood it, Thanks for your help.

uranium92 said:
I don't know what inflection is. If you could tell me or give some links it would be nice.
A point of inflection of function f(x) occurs when the second derivative is zero - ie f''(x)=0. On the graph of x(t) in your problem, this corresponds to the point where the slope of the graph stops increasing and starts decreasing.

Likes uranium92
neilparker62 said:
A point of inflection of function f(x) occurs when the second derivative is zero - ie f''(x)=0. On the graph of x(t) in your problem, this corresponds to the point where the slope of the graph stops increasing and starts decreasing.
Thanks for explaining.

TSny said:
You are very right here, however i think @hmmm27 was saying that if acceleration is zero at all times then the velocity is constant.

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How can a graph analysis be used to determine when acceleration is zero?

A graph analysis can be used to determine when acceleration is zero by examining the slope of the velocity vs. time graph. When the slope is flat (horizontal line), the acceleration is zero.

3. What does it mean when acceleration is zero?

When acceleration is zero, it means that the object's velocity is not changing. It can be either at rest or moving at a constant speed.

4. Can acceleration be negative or zero?

Yes, acceleration can be negative, zero, or positive. Negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) means that the object is slowing down. Zero acceleration means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant speed. Positive acceleration means that the object is speeding up.

5. What are some real-life examples of when acceleration is zero?

Some real-life examples of when acceleration is zero include a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, a ball rolling at a constant speed on a flat surface, or an object at rest on a table.