A new motto for the Nation's capital

• News
  • Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the city of Ottawa and its current motto, which is being criticized for sounding like a plea for money. The people of Ottawa are seeking a new motto and have received suggestions from the public, including ones that highlight the city's status as the capital of Canada and its cold climate. However, the conversation takes a lighthearted turn when one person expresses their lack of interest in visiting Ottawa again and another person jokes about the city being a must-visit for Canadians.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No not Washington - this buggy humid city is the one north of the border.

Ottawa's current motto 'en Advance' sounds in these post credit-crunch times too much like begging for a pay-day loan so apparently they are looking for a new motto.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/should+Ottawa+area+branded/2935582/story.html

Since these are the same people who given a choice of the Polar bear, Grizzly, Moose, Orca , Seals or the noble cod - chose a 40lb rat as the nations symbol - they are looking for public input.

So far suggestions include:
  • Ottawa - it's the capital city of Canada/Ottawa - c'est la ville capitale de Canada.
  • Ottawa - your tax dollars at play
  • Ottawa - no longer the worlds coldest capital
  • What happens in Ottawa stays in Ottawa

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
What happens in Ottawa stays in Ottawa

Oh s***. I don't fell like I want to go there then.

Borek said:
Oh s***. I don't fell like I want to go there then.

YEAH! Me neither! :biggrin:

Borek - glad to see your hair is green again.

Been there, took the tour, don't have to do it again.

It's like a trip to Mecca. Every Canadian should do it at least once in their life. :)

I do not have expertise in branding or marketing, but I can offer a few thoughts on the proposed new motto for Ottawa.

Firstly, the current motto "en Advance" is a French phrase meaning "in advance" or "ahead." This could be interpreted as a positive and forward-thinking message, but I can understand how it may not resonate with everyone in the current economic climate.

The suggestions for the new motto seem to focus on either highlighting Ottawa's status as the capital city, or referencing its climate and reputation. While these are certainly important aspects of Ottawa, I believe a successful motto should also capture the unique characteristics and strengths of the city.

For example, Ottawa is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene, its beautiful parks and natural spaces, and its diverse and welcoming community. These are all potential themes that could be incorporated into a new motto for the city.

Additionally, as a nation's capital, Ottawa also plays a significant role in shaping national policies and decisions. A motto that reflects this sense of leadership and influence could be a powerful message.

Ultimately, the choice of a motto for Ottawa should involve input from a diverse range of stakeholders, including citizens, businesses, and community organizations. It should also be carefully considered and tested to ensure it accurately represents the city and resonates with its residents and visitors.

What is the purpose of creating a new motto for the Nation's capital?

The purpose of creating a new motto for the Nation's capital is to represent the values and ideals of the city and its people. It can also serve as a unifying symbol for the community and promote a sense of pride and identity.

How will the new motto be chosen?

The new motto will be chosen through a collaborative process involving input from citizens, local leaders, and experts in the field of branding and design. A committee may be formed to review and select potential mottos, which will then be put to a vote or presented to the city council for final approval.

What factors should be considered when creating a new motto for the Nation's capital?

Factors that should be considered when creating a new motto for the Nation's capital include the city's history, culture, and values, as well as its current challenges and goals. The motto should also be memorable, timeless, and representative of the diverse population of the city.

Will the current motto be replaced completely?

It is possible that the current motto will be completely replaced, but it ultimately depends on the decision of the committee or city council. They may choose to keep elements of the current motto or create a completely new one.

How will the new motto be implemented and promoted?

The new motto will be implemented and promoted through various channels such as city signage, official documents, and marketing materials. It may also be incorporated into city events and initiatives to increase awareness and adoption among the community.

Back